Basic External Hard Drive Questions

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Raiser, Jun 29, 2009.

Jun 29, 2009
  1. Raiser
    OP

Member Raiser I am mad scientist.

Canada
    I've had one for quite a while (holding my old HD), but never really used it. It had a virus on it where I couldn't delete, cut, remove, FORMAT (yeah, I know), anything. Only copy and paste or create new files.

However, I got it to magically format today, ran some anti-virus tests after that just to be sure and now I have an extra 200GB on top of my 450GB internal HD.

1) What's an external HD f supposed to be or? Like, why not keep it inside the CPU?
    2) Are you supposed to keep it on/running whenever your CPU is on?
    3) Is it only considered 'extra memory' to be able to hold more files on top of your internal HD?

Thanks!

2. Scorpei

Member Scorpei GBAtemp Maniac

Netherlands
    From what I'm reading your not that into computers (yet) [​IMG]. So let me try to answer your questions + a little basic info. Firstly a (personal) computer is made out of several components. From the outside, what you see, is the case. Inside it are all the components that make it work:
    power supply, motherboard, CPU, memory, hard-disc/ssd/CF/stuff_that_holds_your_data, videocard (optional), and any other hardware in your machine.
    So when you say your CPU is running it's not exactly what you mean. You mean to say when your computer is running [​IMG].

Anyway, to answer your specific questions.
    1. The added advantage from a HD outside of your PC case is that you can easily move it to a different machine. Also the HD can (possibly) use a different connection then it uses inside your PC (for instance USB instead of IDE or sata).
    2. You can use it whenever you want really. Some HDs / file systems / OSs don't like you removing / shutting it down when connected to the (working) machine. None of them like it when you rip it out when you are reading / writing to the disc and neither does the disc itself.
    3. In essence it is indeed seen as a large USB stick / hard drive (depends on the connection, your OS and your settings). Extra memory is a bad term as that is reserved more for the memory installed in your system (your RAM).

3. UltraMagnus

Member UltraMagnus hic sunt dracones

United Kingdom
    1) lend it to a friend if you want to give them some files, or vice versa. and they make a good personal backup solution. (most industry use tape though still)
    2) no, hard disks are mechanical devices and wear out quicker if on all the time.
    3) see 1

4. PettingZoo

Member PettingZoo yesss

Australia
    Also, firewire = awesome, that is if it has a firewire port..

5. Elritha

Member Elritha GBAtemp Addict

Canada
    External drive is awesome for sharing data among friends or if you simply don't want the drive on all the time (less wear and tear, and also power consumption). However... an external hard drive is always going to be slower at reading and writing then a modern internal drive. External Sata helps a bit when it comes to external drives, though most tend to be usb.

I would personally only use an external drive for storage. Not for an operating system, nor a place where I would run games or other applications.

6. Raiser
    OP

Member Raiser I am mad scientist.

Canada
    Alright thanks for the information, everyone.
    I always get CPU mixed up with PC. Now I realize that the CPU is an internal component of the PC. o.O

7. UltraMagnus

Member UltraMagnus hic sunt dracones

United Kingdom
    eSATA is faster, but it seems that nothing has it. oh well, guess we will need to wait for usb 3.0