• Start date
  • Views 21,449
  • Replies 123

mc2479

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I tried all those links and did not succeed. I got either "could not open /.dol" or it just froze when inserting SD card.

:EDIT:

I will format the SD in case there is another channel on it.

supermatgames

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
kedest said:
supermatgames said:
i know this is a stupid question, but what can i actually achieve from using Bannerbomb
im on a virgin 4.0E, and though i understand it will run .dol files.....im not entirely sure what they are, and since it cant install homebrew channel, what exactly can i do with this release?

A dol is an executable homebrew file. Normally the homebrew channel will show a list of all dol files on sd and then you can pick one to run. With this bannerbomb, it will just load 1 dol located in the root. So grab any piece of homebrew you want to try, rename its dol to boot.dol and try it
ah right, cool, cheers man.
so that means i could run, say, USB loader and play some of my backups??
would this work with a downgrade?
and whats the risk of bricking your wii executing a .dol like this?

serinity14

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
guys forgive me for not knowing much but i want to try out the bannerbomb
and i need a suggestion for what .dol is best to try out help me please

jhoff80

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
supermatgames said:

If you have System Menu 4.0, I don't think you can use this to launch USB loader. I don't know for sure (I've already got it installed), but I don't think the cIOS installers will work, just like HBC installer won't work.

jhoff80

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
serinity14 said:
guys forgive me for not knowing much but i want to try out the bannerbomb
and i need a suggestion for what .dol is best to try out help me please

Whatever one you want to play, really. But as I already mentioned above, there's the Wii Homebrew Launcher that I linked to that is supposed to work. (For me it gave a black screen though.)

I also tested out Super Mario War 1.1, and I can confirm that that works for me, so test that if you want.

kedest

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
supermatgames said:
kedest said:
supermatgames said:
i know this is a stupid question, but what can i actually achieve from using Bannerbomb
im on a virgin 4.0E, and though i understand it will run .dol files.....im not entirely sure what they are, and since it cant install homebrew channel, what exactly can i do with this release?

A dol is an executable homebrew file. Normally the homebrew channel will show a list of all dol files on sd and then you can pick one to run. With this bannerbomb, it will just load 1 dol located in the root. So grab any piece of homebrew you want to try, rename its dol to boot.dol and try it

The backup loader requires the installation of a so-called Custom Ios. At this moment, I think that's still impossible on 4.0.
This BannerBomb will just load a dol, it's not a solution to the other security fixes nintendo has put in place.
The same thing applies to downgrading, that too will need a Custom Ios installed.
But you can run normal dol files to try it out. An emulator for example, I think that should work. There is no risk in running such files, as they only run in memory and do not affect the wii in any permanent way. If it crashes, just reboot.

edit: hmm, check post below this one. it has a link to a downgrade tutorial that should work without a cios. didn't know that was possible. downgrading is dangerous if you don't know what you're doing, so it's your own risk

Aurora Wright

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
bobinski said:
Tested this on 4.0 (cIOS installed and stuff) and worked

BUT PLEASE SOMEONE CHECK THE FOLLOWING
you can run the Wad Manager and then do all this but instead of using HBC, you use Bannerbomb
http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=146735

this way you can hack your wii system 4

correct me if i am wrong.
That's correct, but you cannot do that with LU64/LU65 consoles
wink2.gif

Gamemaster1379

Trophies
Website
1379tech.110mb.com
XP
Country
United States
jhoff80 said:
I attempted running it with Homebrew Launcher and got a black screen, but I read on the Wiibrew frontpage it's supposed to work, so that might be good to test with:

http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Homebrew_apps/Wii_Homebrew_Launcher
Try an earlier version. My Wii is fully hacked with the latest cIOS and everything that's been available for the Wii since day 1 and the latest HB Launcher still fails to load on mine. I did get an earlier version to load though.

supermatgames

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
kedest said:
supermatgames said:
kedest said:
supermatgames said:

The backup loader requires the installation of a so-called Custom Ios. At this moment, I think that's still impossible on 4.0.
This BannerBomb will just load a dol, it's not a solution to the other security fixes nintendo has put in place.
The same thing applies to downgrading, that too will need a Custom Ios installed.
But you can run normal dol files to try it out. An emulator for example, I think that should work. There is no risk in running such files, as they only run in memory and do not affect the wii in any permanent way. If it crashes, just reboot.
ah right, but bootmii will sort out these security fixes wont it? making virgin 4.0's totally hackable?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @salazarcosplay, Good.