GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I recently soft-modded my Wii, and let's just say, I've been doing a lot of torrent leeching/seeding as of late. I'm with Comcast, but I don't believe there's a way to know what the monthly bandwidth cap is for the average customer like myself. Anyone have a reliable ballpark estimate of the cap? I don't want to inadvertently screw myself up.
unsure.gif

DeMoN

GBAtemp Guru
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
For California Bay Area it's 250 GB, but probably different in your area. There is a way to find out. Just log-on to your Comcast.net account (ask your dad or something if you're not the one who pays the bill).

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All right. Looks like it's 250GB across the board, at least according to the FAQ on the site (there didn't seem to be any specific info regarding bandwidth for my personal account). I'm thinking that's ample. Wish there was a way to monitor usage in real-time, though.

DeMoN

GBAtemp Guru
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, 250 GB is definitely a lot. I expected to use up at least 100 GB a month because of gaming, pirating, and video streaming, but it turns out that my entire family only used up around 40 GB, and we have three computers and god knows how many Apple devices (okay, 3 iPhones, an iPod Touch, and an iPad).

Reading consumer experiences from dslreports.com, I learned that Comcast mainly cares about your upload limit (which is unspecified). But for people who upload a lot, they will send a warning letter telling you to stop or they'll cut your internet.

There are definitely a lot of programs you can download to monitor your bandwidth usage.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
My average bandwidth usage is 140GB-260GB a month. I've been trying to get it under 80GB a month for when I change to a higher speed connection, but there are always games that need downloading (legally mind you) or an anime series I want to watch. And then there's all the Steam games that need updating on both my PC and at least one of the 3 laptops still used in the house.

Diablo1123

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Rydian said:
You might be able to install alternate firmware on your router that can log.
Tomato does this.
I've been using it for a while.
aaaa.png

Is how mine looks for example.
As you can see on the side, you get more choices, but monthly is probably what you'll look at.
And for the spike in mine, its because I got faster internet then =D

And my internet is 6/1.

Crass

Rock me Dr. Zaius
Trophies
Website
www.ds-scene.net
XP
Country
United States
My ISP has a 100gb monthly cap, and if you go over they charge $1.50 per gigabyte, thankfully they have a little web page you can check to see where your at. Fucking sucks.

Anne Noise

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Comcast is indeed 250GB. I've had a few recent months nudging close to that, around 200-225GB, but usually it's closer to 100GB. I though stuff like crazy HQ rips of crazy anime like Bakemonogatari - which TOTALLY needs high quality for all the... junk - would add up faster, but I seem pretty safe.

Bandwidth limits, bleh. I'm not looking forward to when Verizon finally cancels their unlimited data plan.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Cool. Same here.