Gaming Badge Center [JPN] Issues on N3DS

Ichii Giki

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So here's my situation, I used the recently found method of spoofing system updates on N3DS through NTR-CFW to connect to the Japanese eShop on SysNAND on my N3DS (9.2.0-20J). I then proceeded to download Badge Center (originally released with firmware 9.0). I also downloaded the 1.2 update (released around 4/25/2015, right after the 9.7 system update) to make sure it was up to date. I wonder if this was my mistake.

On first launch, trying to launch it on System FW 9.2, the app would just hang on the 3DS loading screen with red, angled bars. I know this app has to install something to the FW so you can select your badges and add them to the home menu, so I thought maybe the update was incompatible with 9.2, so I uninstalled it from System Settings -> Data Management. I rebooted and tried again, but even without the update installed, the Badge Center hung on launch.

So I completely uninstalled Badge Center from System Settings -> Data Management, and tried to download it again from the eShop (NOT downloading the 1.2 update this time). However, I was still unsuccessful, as the Badge Center still hangs on startup.

Did the initial launch with the 1.2 update bork something in the system firmware that can't be corrected now without restoring a SysNAND backup? Has anyone else gotten the base badge center AND/OR the 1.2 update to work on 9.2 System Firmware?

Furthermore, I have heard you can install the badge center on a region-changed NAND as well and it will run (in Japanese, of course). My EmuNAND is maxed at 9.5 of course right now, so has anyone gotten the Badge Center to work properly on US/EU EmuNAND? Should I avoid installing the 1.2 update if I try to install the Badge Center CIA on my US EmuNAND or has anyone had luck with the 1.2 update on 9.5 EmuNAND?

Reactions: cearp

otto888

I break things for a living.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had the badge center working on my N3DS with 9.5 EmuNAND. I converted it to a .3ds, not 3DZ and it somehow still connects, file to be safe though, and not risk being locked out of the HOME Menu. If you could release the 1.2 CIA on that one site, I could take a look and see if it works on US/EU EmuNANDs with the ROM method.

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
region changed nand? nothing specific about that, if you install it on usa/eur (maybe others too), it will be supported :) but of course you need to use gw or something to run it since you will need to boot it region free.

it works fine for me in fw 9.2 :) (japan)
did you downgrade system settings? i imagine that is why it is not working.

Ichii Giki

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
region changed nand? nothing specific about that, if you install it on usa/eur (maybe others too), it will be supported :) but of course you need to use gw or something to run it since you will need to boot it region free.

it works fine for me in fw 9.2 :) (japan)
did you downgrade system settings? i imagine that is why it is not working.

It never worked for me in 9.2 SysNAND JPN. I have since downgraded the System Settings for MSET GW loading, but as I said, it never loaded before that. The only thing abnormal about how it was installed is that I had to run the NIM patch in NTR-CFW to block update checks, but I downloaded it normally from the Japanese eShop otherwise. I wonder if launching it the first time with NTR-CFW still active (can't remember if I rebooted or not after downloading) might have messed up the install it does for the badge selector. Asking someone who has it installed, where does the system UI get installed that lets you select badges to put them on your home menu? Is it in the upper-left corner home menu button? I'm curious if there is anything I could look for in my SysNAND (perhaps with a title manager like DevMenu/FBI) that would show if there is something I can uninstall and let it reinstall that got malformed during initial installation/boot.

I had the badge center working on my N3DS with 9.5 EmuNAND. I converted it to a .3ds, not 3DZ and it somehow still connects, file to be safe though, and not risk being locked out of the HOME Menu. If you could release the 1.2 CIA on that one site, I could take a look and see if it works on US/EU EmuNANDs with the ROM method.

I don't have any of the CIAs at the moment. I haven't extracted my title.db from the JPN SysNAND to try and pull the titles with FunkyCIA/etc. However, it seems like I should be safe in trying to install at least the base CIA (without the 1.2 update) in my US EmuNAND to test it out (making backups first, of course, in case anything bad happens...).

One other question, does this game require an NNID to even play it? Do you still get the daily free-plays on a timed basis (like Pokemon shuffle), so you can still play it for free without checking-in/NNID/internet connection? I don't have my NNID linked to my region-changed N3DS, so if that is required to even run this game, then I would be wasting my time trying to get it working. ^_^

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
It never worked for me in 9.2 SysNAND JPN. I have since downgraded the System Settings for MSET GW loading, but as I said, it never loaded before that. The only thing abnormal about how it was installed is that I had to run the NIM patch in NTR-CFW to block update checks, but I downloaded it normally from the Japanese eShop otherwise. I wonder if launching it the first time with NTR-CFW still active (can't remember if I rebooted or not after downloading) might have messed up the install it does for the badge selector. Asking someone who has it installed, where does the system UI get installed that lets you select badges to put them on your home menu? Is it in the upper-left corner home menu button? I'm curious if there is anything I could look for in my SysNAND (perhaps with a title manager like DevMenu/FBI) that would show if there is something I can uninstall and let it reinstall that got malformed during initial installation/boot.

I don't have any of the CIAs at the moment. I haven't extracted my title.db from the JPN SysNAND to try and pull the titles with FunkyCIA/etc. However, it seems like I should be safe in trying to install at least the base CIA (without the 1.2 update) in my US EmuNAND to test it out (making backups first, of course, in case anything bad happens...).

One other question, does this game require an NNID to even play it? Do you still get the daily free-plays on a timed basis (like Pokemon shuffle), so you can still play it for free without checking-in/NNID/internet connection? I don't have my NNID linked to my region-changed N3DS, so if that is required to even run this game, then I would be wasting my time trying to get it working. ^_^
"where does the system ui get installed?" - i doubt it installs anything. homemenu just displays some new features, but surely they are built in homemenu already and only shown once you use the badge center. i could be wrong but it seems the most logical explanation.

you mean your ticket.db, not title.db. (maybe you made a simple mistake but just in case you are actually mistaken, don't waste your time getting the wrong file from nand!)

hmm i'm not sure if it requires an nnid. you need an nnid to install it i think... (don't you need an nnid to install free content from the shop apart from updated? - maybe not)

you don't simply get daily free plays, you do occasionally get free plays, but daily, you can do the practice game. if you do well in it and are lucky enough to get the correct piece, then you get some free plays.

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
Ichii Giki - hmm, very strange, sorry!
i assumed that it was because i downgraded system settings that it did not work on my sysnand. (it works fine on my emunand, also 9.2)
so i restored the original version of system settings, expecting badge center to load fine on sysnand, and yeah... still the 3DS loading screen...
does it work on your emunand? maybe if i created emunand again from this sysnand, it would not work for me...

(maybe if i restored emunand to sysnand it would fix it, although i don't want to risk anything, i don't like flashing to sysnand)

very annoying, i was going to use NTR and try and hack some free plays. but seeing as i can't load up badge center... hmm :(

--- but, i can 100% confirm the exact same contents on sd card are working on my 9.2 emunand. 1.2 update also. so, the data is not 'broken' etc... i have no idea what is up :D

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
ok, i just completely wasted my time.
as i said above, the badge center works fine on my emunand 9.2. but hangs when i load it on sysnand 9.2

i took a 9.2 nand backup, flashed it to emunand, badge center works.
i flashed that same nand backup to sysnand, badge center does not work...
the nands are 'linked' so, the contents on sd, extdata etc etc is all the same.
the contents on nand are the same too. very weird and annoying why this is not working.

maybe there is AP where nintendo only allow it to load on emunand ;)

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
excuse the quadruple post.

ok, i figured it out for myself.
badge center came out 2014-12-17.
9.4 came out 2014-12-11. (nearly a week before badge center)
to download badge center you need to access eshop = you need to be on 9.4
eshop content does not contain updates, since, you need to be on the latest fw to access the shop.

so, on sysnand 9.2, you do not have the right 'stuff' (keys i guess) to run the badge center.
using GW to boot sysnand in gw or classic mode, the badge center now loads :)

it would be nice if i could load badge center with NTR, but that's not possible :(
also no badges will show up on 9.2... so not much reason to use it in sysnand anyway (although you can still play fine using gw to load it up, but no badges = no fun)

Reactions: Ichii Giki

Ichii Giki

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
excuse the quadruple post.

ok, i figured it out for myself.
badge center came out 2014-12-17.
9.4 came out 2014-12-11. (nearly a week before badge center)
to download badge center you need to access eshop = you need to be on 9.4
eshop content does not contain updates, since, you need to be on the latest fw to access the shop.

so, on sysnand 9.2, you do not have the right 'stuff' (keys i guess) to run the badge center.
using GW to boot sysnand in gw or classic mode, the badge center now loads :)

it would be nice if i could load badge center with NTR, but that's not possible :(
also no badges will show up on 9.2... so not much reason to use it in sysnand anyway (although you can still play fine using gw to load it up, but no badges = no fun)

Thank you for trying this out! Lots of good information, so I will have to try it on my 9.5 EmuNAND now! ^_^

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
Thank you for trying this out! Lots of good information, so I will have to try it on my 9.5 EmuNAND now! ^_^

well it will work in gw mode/classic mode 9.2, so sure it will work fine in 9.5, where it would work anyway :) but yes in 9.5 you will be able to use your badges.
i wanted to have a badge as a shortcut to system settings, on sysnand, so i can load in gw from there 'in style'.
i assume the 9.4 home menu would not work on 9.2 sysnand. -- if it did i would be happy to install it to sysnand to use my badges there. although i don't think NTR would function properly... maybe

Reactions: Ichii Giki

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: See ya see ya later later