Backup using NDS-XL

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by uncle1973, Jul 30, 2010.

Jul 30, 2010

Backup using NDS-XL by uncle1973 at 11:58 PM (1,734 Views / 0 Likes) 11 replies

1. uncle1973
    OP

Newcomer uncle1973 Newbie

Denmark
    Hello

I am a newbie in the NDS-world, and are looking for help on the backup issue.
    I bought a nintendo XL for my daughter (who is 11), and wish to make a backup of her expensive game-roms, and savegames.
    To get help, I joined a couple of forums, where I was suggested different solutions, going from downloading the games *.nds files(which I am against and will not do), to connect via wireless to a local FTP-server(which appearently do not work with the XL, I couldn't make it work anyway).

I hope there are one in this forum, who can give me a pointer on, what will work with the XL. if anything.
    Do there exist a homebrew solution, or does there not exist any way that will work with the XL?
    Maybe a PC-reader for roms are the solution, what works??

Hope you guys out there will help a newbie?

Best regards

2. Sterling

Member Sterling GBAtemp's Silver Hero

United States
    I am sort of confused as to what you're asking. You want to back up physical game roms, and game saves on your computer correct? Well to start, you should probably invest in a flash cart. This allows game roms to be played on your system (NDSi XL). Then you should find a way to dump your daughter's games/game saves. I know of a game save dumper: NDS Adapter Plus Review. I can't help you with a game rom dumper, as the only solution I know of is a slot two homebrew dumper, and the XL has no slot two. Outside of actually downloading the roms (Which you don't want to do), I can't help you with anything else, though another temper may be able to help. Also wrong section.

3. uncle1973
    OP

Denmark
    Hello again

I have already ordered the flash card, I "Just" need to figure out how to backup games.
    I will take a look at your suggestion Sterl500, thanks.

Best regards

4. Another World

Former Staff Another World Emulate the Planet!

Colombia
    i think this one can do both nds saves and dump a rom.

http://www.ic2005.com/shop/product.php?pro...at=0&page=1

there is also this one but i think it can only do nds saves.

http://www.consolesource.com/ecomm/catalog...ter-p-2815.html

after the flash kit arrives and you have dumped the data you want, spend some time checking out nds homebrew. there are some great games and apps that will run on your flash kit.

http://filetrip.net/c84-Homebrew.html

if you can setup a simple ftp you should have no issues dumping without a slot2. check the links below.
    http://filetrip.net/f5328-NDS-Backup-Tools-WIFI-Guide.html
    http://www.teamcyclops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1942

cheers,
    -another world

5. uncle1973
    OP

Denmark
    Hello Another World

I tried the FTP-solution, but it sais, that it couldn't recognize the card in slot 1, i think t is a ds-xl problem?
    I will try and have a look on the backup modules instead.
    Thank you for helping me.

Best regards

6. Another World

Colombia
    from what i recall that app is setup to run off the slot1. i've never actually done it, i just compiled the tools and the help and uploaded it to filetrip. when using a flash kit the xl is running in "ds" mode, not "dsi" mode. so your router has to be on WEP (or with no encryption) for WIFI to work. also channels 6 and 11 are recommended for the nds to see the router. try keeping your SSID set to public broadcast as well. my only other thought is that the app is older and compiled with an older devkit for the nds. tho this should not matter, but it all depends on what flash kit your ordered and if that kit has good dldi support.

-another world

7. uncle1973
    OP

Denmark
    Hello again

I have configured a Zyxel AP, with SSID broadcast on, and no encryption at all, only for use with the NDS. And the WIFI-part is actually running, it connects to the WIFI-ap, and connects to the FTP-server on my machine. Then I am told to switch the flascard containing the backup tool, with the game-rom I would like to backup, and press "A". When doing this, the NDS sais "Could not recognize the card, take out and insert again" (or something like that).
    I tried different games with the same result. I even tried to keep the flashcard in, and just press "A", same result.

Best regards

8. Another World

Colombia
    hello,
    it sounds like you are past the homebrew part, and it is the actual retail game cart that is not working? that is very interesting. it could then indeed be the fact that this is running on the dsi. when the dsi first came out some homebrew failed to work on it. i never researched the why behind this problem, but it could have been the subtle hardware changes for "ds" mode or the way the flash kit exploited the nds firmware. hopefully someone with a dsi/xl can comment in this thread. if you do not have access to a ds lite/phat you may want to research the two hardware dumpers i linked to a few posts up.

i wish i could help you further but my real life has made it impossible to run any of my own tests until after next week.

-another world

9. Hakoda

Member Hakoda GBAtemp Addict

United States
    Well, just to be sure, when you're running the homebrew and it asks you to take your flashcard out and put in a retail game, you are doing that right?

Also, it could be the DSi's ability to hotswap while its still on. By this I mean when you have the DSi on and are in the home screen, you can change games without powering it off unlike what you have to do in the DS Lite.

10. uncle1973
    OP

Denmark
    Hello again

Another world: Thanks for helping me so far, I hope a solution come up, otherwise I will do some more research on the hardware dumpers you pointed out for me.

Hakoda: Actually I have done both, I tried to swap the flash-card to the rom I wanted a dump from(2 or 3 different games), and I tried to keep the flash card in, and just press "A", to se if it tried to make a dump from the flash card, both with the same result.

I really hope someone can give me a pointer on what to do. Or just tell me, if it is possible with a NDS-XL.

Best regards

11. uncle1973
    OP

Denmark
    Hello again

I have ordered the SMS2 today, hoping that will be the solution.
    I'll be back with update in a week or so.

Best regards

12. uncle1973
    OP

Denmark
    Hello again

Worked like a charm, takes a little while to make the dump, but workes really great.

Best regards
    Uncle1973