Hardware Backup GB saves?

Deleted member 257554

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would really like to find a solution for this too- I fear that my Zelda games as well as my pokemon saves will be lost forever : /

Saitalv4.0- I know we talked briefly in PM's about letting me use your device but I never got a reply.

Is there a relatively affordable way to simply backup these games?

Psycho9

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Frammo said:
Can anyone tell me what the difference is between a GB smart card and a GB transferer?

Bump. I'd also like to know this.

Other questions I've got include:
  • Is Mac OS X Snow Leopard out of the question? I'll use an XP machine if I must.
  • Any other devices worth mentioning or am I right for having the impression that those 2 devices are the cat's meow?
  • What are my shopping options? I'm only aware of the previously mentioned Transferer 2 and SmartBoy links (http://www.hkems.com/product/gb/gba-tr.htm and http://smartboy.ugu.pl). The later seems to have stopped accepting orders since March 23rd.
  • QUOTE(InsaneNutter @ Apr 22 2009, 07:32 AM) You can also backup GBA SRAM saves and dump a Rom image of GBA games, the included software will only backup 64KB GBA saves and not 128KB saves, so it wornt be any good for Pokemon Ruby for example. It also carnt dump any GBA saves that use EEPROM but there is homebrew software out for the DS that can do a much better job when it comes to GBA stuff anyway!

Thank you in advanced for your time and help!

EDIT: Just to clarify, I would like to be able to back up my GB/GBC/GBA game saves, use them with an emulator (particularly VisualBoy Advance unless any of the alternatives have anything going for them) and transfer that progress back to the retail cartridges.

EDIT2: Just a quick grammer correction.

thaddius

Charmander is not pleased.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
The SmartBoy is a USB device, while the GB Transferer you linked to is a Parallel Port device (with a USB plug only for power it seems).

The GB Transferer looks like a clone of BUNG's GB Xchanger so it probably uses the same or similar software, and because it's parallel you can only use it on a machine that's running XP and has a parallel port (it seems unlikely that any modern Mac would have a parallel port). It can also work on both GB and GBA games it seems.

The Smart GB works on my Windows 7 computer and should work on all Windows OSs. As for Mac, I don't think they released any software for Macs. The Smart GB is only for GB games; it has no GBA support. If you have a DS or DS Lite and a flash cart then you won't need a product that can back up GBA saves because you already have one.

Psycho9

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thaddius said:
The SmartBoy is a USB device, while the GB Transferer you linked to is a Parallel Port device (with a USB plug only for power it seems).

The GB Transferer looks like a clone of BUNG's GB Xchanger so it probably uses the same or similar software, and because it's parallel you can only use it on a machine that's running XP and has a parallel port (it seems unlikely that any modern Mac would have a parallel port). It can also work on both GB and GBA games it seems.

The Smart GB works on my Windows 7 computer and should work on all Windows OSs. As for Mac, I don't think they released any software for Macs. The Smart GB is only for GB games; it has no GBA support.

By Smart GB do you mean SmartBoy? And by GB games do you mean to include GBC as well? How well does it read and write saves to and from original cartridges? http://smartboy.ugu.pl/ hasn't been accepting orders since the end of last year, and its forums are down, but if I could get a hold of a SmartBoy and find an additional solution specifically for compatibility with all the GBA save types I'd be golden. Maybe if one day I developed the technical prowess I'd be able to port whatever software I need to work with.

QUOTE(thaddius @ May 17 2011, 02:54 PM) If you have a DS or DS Lite and a flash cart then you won't need a product that can back up GBA saves because you already have one.

That's my problem. I do not currently own a DS, DS Lite nor a flash cartridge of any kind. I'd rather not have to buy a new console just to back up save data if a less expensive solution exists.

Sorry for bombarding you with questions, but I am really anxious to preserve my data.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Like for micro