Automatic system updates?

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by JohanX, Jul 6, 2011.

Jul 6, 2011

Automatic system updates? by JohanX at 5:40 PM (954 Views / 0 Likes) 10 replies

1. JohanX
    OP

Newcomer JohanX Advanced Member

United States
    If I enable Street Pass or some other feature on my 3DS, so I have to worry about new system updates being automatically applied?

I have an Acekard and do not want updates applied until the Acekard firmware has been updated to support the new 3DS firmware

2. Slyakin

Member Slyakin See ya suckers

United States
    Nope, at the most, the system will give you some random content like a video or two. Updates are not automatic and the system has to inform you about them first.

3. JohanX
    OP

Newcomer JohanX Advanced Member

United States
    Cool - Thanks!

4. nano351

Member nano351 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_3DS_system_software

why's automatic updates listed as a feature in the latest firmware then ?:|

5. Slyakin

Member Slyakin See ya suckers

United States
    Technically, there is "updates", but those are in the form of SpotPass information. You don't actually update your system.

6. NakedFaerie

Member NakedFaerie GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    From what I read into it is it will send the update to your 3DS but you have to say YES to the update. If you don't say YES then it wont update, but it will be downloaded to it already.

They cant automatically update it. Thats illegal. It's your device as you paid for it and they cant force you to do anything to it without your authorization first. They will have to inform you of the update and you will at least have to agree to the update before it will install.

I"m guessing it'll tell you there is an update without you checking. It'll probably come in the form of a notification telling you to update like the Wii does.

7. chris888222

Member chris888222 GBAtemp's Flygon Fan

Singapore
    They will prompt you whether or not you accept to update.

It's not exactly automatic.

8. solofrags

Banned solofrags Banned

Macedonia, The Former Yugoslav Republic of
    therefore, the update zelda oot example we will be make.what to play roms (if possible) with mandatory maj?

9. jalaneme

Member jalaneme Female Gamer

United Kingdom
    no where in that paragraph does it say that they give you a choice to download the firmware update it says it it will update automatically by itself.

10. nano351

Member nano351 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    You leaving the wifi on/the system in sleepmode is you knowingly accepting that the system may be updated. Also, how is it illegal for them to do that? There is no detrimental effects to the system from being updated to a new firmware unless it's blocking your unlicensed third party devices. Although, it is unlikely they'd do an update automatically when the system is running on the battery due to the risk of bricking from unexpected power loss.

11. dimmidice

Member dimmidice GBAtemp Maniac

Belgium
    ^this he's right. it downloads it automaticly but it doesnt install it til you press "yes" (thats how it is for me anyways)