Hacking Author of DeSmuME mentioned...

spotanjo3

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
9. Some thoughts…

I can understand why the PS3/PS Vita and Xbox 360 haven't been emulated yet, but it seems that the 3DS might be easier than we thought to emulate. The author of DeSmuME said on the forums he thinks he will focus on 3DS emulation for after 1.0, but he says he thinks he can do it before anyone else can, as well as do it faster. He must know something I don't!

Here: http://www.ps3hax.net/2012/07/turtles-emulation-news/

Clarky

Don't you know who I think I am?
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hate to sound like a twat about it, but it could be a lot easier said than done. I would love to see emulation happen for it despite owning a 3ds yet always seems crazy to me that the GBA had an emulator almost the moment it came out yet the NDS and other handhelds have never seen that happen again.

CollosalPokemon

ばん。。。かい
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, he'd need one of these two before he could do anything significant:

1) The retail common key (it's needed to decrypt retail CXI, otherwise it's more or less impossible to read them *for emulation)
2) The 3DS SDK (it contains lots of documents and allows you to decrypt CXIs you made yourself, not retail ones but it could be used to get opcodes to write an emulator)

I don't know what he's talking about that is seems easy to emulate, since he can't use DeSmuME as his base to write a 3DS emulator (NDS ROMs are WAY different than 3DS ROMs) but regardless even if he can make such an emulator the general public would not find much use yet because in order to play games/applications you'd need the common key, which hasn't been leaked yet, and it's not like a lot of people know how to make homebrew 3DS software yet.

Thorhian

My CPU's prefer Water
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Honestly, I think we need to learn a little more about the hardware before an emulator comes out, but he might now something/ have resources we don't have.... its almost like the whole thing about mentioning he could probably do it faster than everyone else kinda.... sets me off in that direction.

PolloDiablo

Madre de Dios! Es El POLLO DIABLO!!!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I bet that Martin Korth will add 3DS compatibility to no$gba before anyone else :lol:, and then he will vanish off the face of the earth... again.
that would be hilarious

Reactions: 5 people

synce

だいこんちゃんのだいふぁん
Trophies
XP
Country
Comoros
I'd actually take an emulator over a flashcart. I wouldn't be caught dead outside with a Nintendo handheld

Reactions: 1 person

chauffler

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd actually take an emulator over a flashcart. I wouldn't be caught dead outside with a Nintendo handheld
why I proudly play my ds and 3ds in public and I'm 29. I learned a very long time ago to not give a fuck about what others think of me.
Agreed.
I know that this is really really off topic but I totally want to be like this. But I have to preserve my image for highschool unfortunately. :(
I don't know anything about coding/emulation but I would assume if someone was well respected in the emulation community I would trust them. If not Sketchy/wrong/fake

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
why I proudly play my ds and 3ds in public and I'm 29. I learned a very long time ago to not give a fuck about what others think of me.
Agreed.
I've learned that people who think less of someone for using X game system over Y game system in public are twats and need to go fuck themselves.

Reactions: 5 people

sentinel5000

Trophies
XP
Country
Maybe he got his hands on something we normal people are not allowed to have.... :rolleyes:. Or maybe he found something no one else knows.... Ill be hapy when I see it happen!

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
I know that this is really really off topic but I totally want to be like this. But I have to preserve my image for highschool unfortunately. :(
Well, there's a question you need to ask yourself, and as Nintendo famously once asked... ;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ueqjle3L5dI

reaper527

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

why? the point of the 3ds is that its portable. if i'm at home, i'm going to play my 360 on my 50" plasma, not my 3ds or psp. those are for when i'm out of the house and looking to kill some time, so an emulator doesn't really help.

add to the fact that an emulator won't be able to do 3d for most people because even if the emulator itself supports it, most of our monitors do not. a flash cart would be far more useful.

regardless, that still would be a huge development if he was able to make an emulator. hopefully this claim is accurate and he really did say that, and if he did, than hopefully he is also correct about the complexity and doesn't have a "somehow i don't think you thought your cunning plan all the way through" moment..

keytotheheart

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, when it comes to emulation, it is not too hard of a task to do if you have access to the right tools, in this case, a Nintendo 3DS CTR dev kit and the other tools required. To be honest, the first version of a 3DS emulator we should expect to be able to use would be a basic one that only allows access to emulatable homebrew such as Pong and other basics, we probably will only get limited dev access as well. When it comes to games, well, all that has to be done is rip the cartridge and compress it, but full playability won't be supported for a while since the 3DS is very powerful for a handheld.

Even if this were to be accomplished, there would be other things that would have to be done. The first is making the emulatable 3DS able to play the games ripped, which the emulator would probably need its own CTR decrypter to do so, then secondly the types of computers needed to run the game at full speed. Of course a sacrifice will have to be made, which is the 3D effect, like DeSmuME for the Nintendo DS, which sacrifices Wi-Fi for most games, and limited access if you have a wired connection using an Ethernet cable and WinPcaP.

Mostly, it may be a while. Hopefully the teams behind No$GBA and DeSmuME will be able to do their own work or maybe even together. Both of the teams have done work on the GBA/DS emulation scene in some way or the other, so it will be a possibility. I guess we'll just have to wait and see though.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @salazarcosplay, Morning