Author of DeSmuME mentioned...

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by azoreseuropa, Jul 13, 2012.

Jul 13, 2012
  1. azoreseuropa
    OP

Member azoreseuropa GBAtemp Psycho!

Portugal
    Here: http://www.ps3hax.net/2012/07/turtles-emulation-news/

2. the_randomizer

Member the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

United States
    Uh....that was unexpected. It was my understanding that the 3DS had some very strong encryption

1 person likes this.
  3. Clarky

Member Clarky Don't you know who I think I am?

United States
    hate to sound like a twat about it, but it could be a lot easier said than done. I would love to see emulation happen for it despite owning a 3ds yet always seems crazy to me that the GBA had an emulator almost the moment it came out yet the NDS and other handhelds have never seen that happen again.

4. EyeZ

Member EyeZ GBAtemp Addict

United Kingdom
    Well he certainly sounds optimistic, whether or not he can do it, only time will tell.

5. CollosalPokemon

Member CollosalPokemon ばん。。。かい

United States
    Well, he'd need one of these two before he could do anything significant:

1) The retail common key (it's needed to decrypt retail CXI, otherwise it's more or less impossible to read them *for emulation)
    2) The 3DS SDK (it contains lots of documents and allows you to decrypt CXIs you made yourself, not retail ones but it could be used to get opcodes to write an emulator)

I don't know what he's talking about that is seems easy to emulate, since he can't use DeSmuME as his base to write a 3DS emulator (NDS ROMs are WAY different than 3DS ROMs) but regardless even if he can make such an emulator the general public would not find much use yet because in order to play games/applications you'd need the common key, which hasn't been leaked yet, and it's not like a lot of people know how to make homebrew 3DS software yet.

6. Thorhian

Member Thorhian My CPU's prefer Water

United States
    Honestly, I think we need to learn a little more about the hardware before an emulator comes out, but he might now something/ have resources we don't have.... its almost like the whole thing about mentioning he could probably do it faster than everyone else kinda.... sets me off in that direction.

7. Nah3DS

Member Nah3DS Madre de Dios! Es El POLLO DIABLO!!!

Argentina
    I bet that Martin Korth will add 3DS compatibility to no$gba before anyone else :lol:, and then he will vanish off the face of the earth... again.
    that would be hilarious

5 people like this.
  8. Zerosuit connor

Member Zerosuit connor Baby I'm Back ♥

Australia
    Everyone loves NoCash

9. synce

Member synce だいこんちゃんのだいふぁん

United States
    I'd actually take an emulator over a flashcart. I wouldn't be caught dead outside with a Nintendo handheld

1 person likes this.
  10. Gaiaknight

Member Gaiaknight GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    why I proudly play my ds and 3ds in public and I'm 29. I learned a very long time ago to not give a fuck about what others think of me.

18 people like this.
  11. Zerosuit connor

Member Zerosuit connor Baby I'm Back ♥

Australia
    Agreed.

12. chauffler

Banned chauffler Banned

United States
    I know that this is really really off topic but I totally want to be like this. But I have to preserve my image for highschool unfortunately. :(
    I don't know anything about coding/emulation but I would assume if someone was well respected in the emulation community I would trust them. If not Sketchy/wrong/fake

13. Pleng

Member Pleng GBAtemp Maniac

Thailand
    em. lol?

2 people like this.
  14. Sicklyboy

Global Moderator Sicklyboy Resident Mechanical Keyboard Addict

United States
    I've learned that people who think less of someone for using X game system over Y game system in public are twats and need to go fuck themselves.

5 people like this.
  15. sentinel5000

Member sentinel5000 GBAtemp Fan

Puerto Rico
    Maybe he got his hands on something we normal people are not allowed to have.... :rolleyes:. Or maybe he found something no one else knows.... Ill be hapy when I see it happen!

1 person likes this.
  16. Tekken179

Member Tekken179 GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    This :D

17. xwatchmanx

Member xwatchmanx GBAtemp's (Un)Ironic Weeaboo

United States
    Well, there's a question you need to ask yourself, and as Nintendo famously once asked... ;)
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

18. reaper527

Member reaper527 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    why? the point of the 3ds is that its portable. if i'm at home, i'm going to play my 360 on my 50" plasma, not my 3ds or psp. those are for when i'm out of the house and looking to kill some time, so an emulator doesn't really help.

add to the fact that an emulator won't be able to do 3d for most people because even if the emulator itself supports it, most of our monitors do not. a flash cart would be far more useful.

regardless, that still would be a huge development if he was able to make an emulator. hopefully this claim is accurate and he really did say that, and if he did, than hopefully he is also correct about the complexity and doesn't have a "somehow i don't think you thought your cunning plan all the way through" moment..

1 person likes this.
  19. keytotheheart

Newcomer keytotheheart Newbie

United States
    Well, when it comes to emulation, it is not too hard of a task to do if you have access to the right tools, in this case, a Nintendo 3DS CTR dev kit and the other tools required. To be honest, the first version of a 3DS emulator we should expect to be able to use would be a basic one that only allows access to emulatable homebrew such as Pong and other basics, we probably will only get limited dev access as well. When it comes to games, well, all that has to be done is rip the cartridge and compress it, but full playability won't be supported for a while since the 3DS is very powerful for a handheld.

Even if this were to be accomplished, there would be other things that would have to be done. The first is making the emulatable 3DS able to play the games ripped, which the emulator would probably need its own CTR decrypter to do so, then secondly the types of computers needed to run the game at full speed. Of course a sacrifice will have to be made, which is the 3D effect, like DeSmuME for the Nintendo DS, which sacrifices Wi-Fi for most games, and limited access if you have a wired connection using an Ethernet cable and WinPcaP.

Mostly, it may be a while. Hopefully the teams behind No$GBA and DeSmuME will be able to do their own work or maybe even together. Both of the teams have done work on the GBA/DS emulation scene in some way or the other, so it will be a possibility. I guess we'll just have to wait and see though.

20. flygon12345

Member flygon12345 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

India
    well emulator thats good but the bad part is that how come its coming out before a flashcard with 3ds games playable