Hacking Question Atmosphere: Potential to support alternative Bluetooth controllers?

Irastris

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I recently had it explained to me that Atmosphere will flat out replace certain Horizon services with its own. This got me wondering, would it be possible to rewrite the service that handles Joycon input to support other Bluetooth based controllers, say an Xbox One controller for example? Or perhaps a Dualshock 3/4. With enough work, motion controls (to some extent) could even be available with the aforementioned Dualshocks.

Any thoughts?

metaloyd23

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Not all Xbox controllers have BT, XB1 uses another kind of conection. Anyway most of Xbox controllers are also designed for PC gaming so they usually include BlueTooth.
If the part of the home button is diferenced from the rest of the surface (like elite controller) It doesnt have BT and wouldnt be able to conect to a switch or any other plataform wirelessly without an adapter

Irastris

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not all Xbox controllers have BT, XB1 uses another kind of conection. Anyway most of Xbox controllers are also designed for PC gaming so they usually include BlueTooth.
If the part of the home button is diferenced from the rest of the surface (like elite controller) It doesnt have BT and wouldnt be able to conect to a switch or any other plataform wirelessly without an adapter
Ah, right. I didn't even know Microsoft bothered supplying the type without Bluetooth these days.

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
I I have 2 different controllers for XB1 and only one of them can Connect to my PC by bluetooth, the other only works with USB
I have 4 Controllers for Xbox v1, and 3 for 360 and one for PS3 and two for PS4, and two for GCN and two for Wii, and two for SNES and about 5 for PSX and three for Dreamcast, and three for Saturn and two for various Android devices, but only about 10 of those can connect to a PC by bluetooth, although others work via USB. Oh, and four for the N64, and do Gameboys count?

I'd expect Switch drivers for them soon.

Or we could treat the Switch as a normal console, and not try to make every cheap BT controller on earth work with it.

There was a PS3 project to make 360 controllers work on them. The first release actually reduced the performance of the console (too much overhead), the fifth release added more lag. And the controllers would only work in about a third of all games.

Last edited by notimp,
Reactions: lumo93

Technicmaster0

Trophies
Website
www.flashkarten.tk
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Regarding the wireless connectivity of xbox one controllers:
-Controllers before xbox one S (including the elite controller) need either a dongle or a USB connection to work. I think that they use a custom 2.4GHz protocol.
-XBox One S and later controllers (the logo at the front is embedded into the main colored shell, it's not a part of the black color at the trigger buttons) can be used with the wireless dongle, with bluetooth and with usb.

Supporting XBox controllers would be pretty much work tho. They don't use HID (like all switch controller do) but XINPUT.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Psionic Roshambo, DO THE METH!!!