Hacking Question Atmosphere or ReiNX?

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The differences between the two are extremely minor and come down to ease of user; ReiNX would be considered easier to use and customize as compared to Atmosphere. One objective difference is that ReiNX supports the installation of .XCI files using certain homebrew applications such as ZeroTwoXCI, dOPUS, and n1dus. Atmosphere, on the other hand, plans to implement EmuNAND in the future.

Alternatively, you can just use both and see which one tickles your fancy more. Its not like you're tied to one CFW over another once you "install" a CFW.

SushiKing

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
The differences between the two are extremely minor and come down to ease of user; ReiNX would be considered easier to use and customize as compared to Atmosphere. One objective difference is that ReiNX supports the installation of .XCI files using certain homebrew applications such as ZeroTwoXCI, dOPUS, and n1dus. Atmosphere, on the other hand, plans to implement EmuNAND in the future.

Alternatively, you can just use both and see which one tickles your fancy more. Its not like you're tied to one CFW over another once you "install" a CFW.

Oh cool, so it doesn't matter what Firmware im on then? Could you recommend me a good guide on how to install Rienx then?

ZachyCatGames

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The sysmodules in ReiNX are very outdated compared to the ones in Atmosphere, and Atmosphere has more ban protection. Those are pretty much the only differences

Switcherooo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I have been doing a ton of reading on this exact same thing.

I feel like I’m going to end up with atmosphere, it’s the latest. There are some patches available to add features. It has what seems to be the best “ban protection”

And I feel like it is going to offer the best overall experience in the long run.

With all that said I don’t think either will disappoint & if you plan on using XCI (pirated games) then atmosphere does not support this feature (although I’m sure someone will make a patch one day.

Reactions: SushiKing

Taorn

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When i put my sd card in, it's telling me to update my system, what do i do?? :(

Your sd card is formatted in exfat. The Switch needs an update to be able to read the file system. This leaves you with two options:
  1. Update your Switch firmware with ChoiDujourNX. You will need to find the necessary update file on your own, as it is forbidden to link those here.
  2. Format your sd card with FAT32. This will allow you to use your card without any update. It also is the recommended way if you wish to use homebrew and emulators. But beware: FAT32 limits file size to 4 GB. Bigger files must be splitted beforehand or installed through other means like network or usb installation.

Last edited by Taorn,

SushiKing

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I updated my system to 6.0 when it said it was on renix. Now i did but i think it updated it on the normal firmware.

Can i still fix this? I need help

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
The never read a thing, click on buttons, ask for personalized help every step of the way thing most users want to establish as the modus operandi in here (dont dare to say that they should read, thats elitism!) - working out exceptionally well again.

What is best to you as well, my dear. What is best.

edit:

(More salt - if you want:

Two tips for Generation Z folks:

- You might want to start asking "what is worst", it seems to be much more relevant to your approach of life, and should get you out of many more situations, you've gotten yourself into, just in general.

- I was thinking, at one point, we have to glorify those behavior patterns somehow. I was thinking of maybe by way of 90s anime revival, because thats what many of them seem to be into. So fashion a young hero/heroine, that maybe transforms each episode into an idealized version of themselves, and then - for five minutes or so, possesses the power of foresight - to solve crimes or something. The theme of the show could be P(olitical)C(orrectness) detective, and the overarching goal - like - how to make the world a better place by censoring one villains speech each episode, so none of them ever comments on the protagonists behavior ever again, or something. Will be a hit. I can already feel it.

"Do you feel it? Case solved!" Could be a catchphrase.... This stuff writes itself! )

Realish answer stuff:

If you updated through Nintendos update routine - your switch is updated, you cant downgrade. Luckily enough for you the exploit on the better part of Switches out there today is unpatchable - because its so low level. Nothing lost really.

For people on <= 4.1.0 its a different story - they mostly dont want to update, because they have a chance to get an entirely dongle and jig free method to everything thats already possible today.

They are encouraged to #readathing and use the choixdujourNX method of updating and enabling autorcm - which will prevent switches from burning efuses - which mean, they can downgrade - you cant. There is an additional angle to this, in that they would then also have to take additional steps for their gamecard slot firmware not being updated, otherwise they would end up with a nonfunctioning gamecardslot - when downgrading.

In short - all stuff no Gen Z would ever think about. So dont even ask for step by steps. Do whatevs, and be jolly, that you can fail up on your way to the goal, one individualized SMS styile help request at a time - and theres always a fallback, because the innitial bug in most Switches isnt patchable. So most OFWs will be exploitable and hopefully remain so for the lifetime of the console.

Last edited by notimp,

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
reinx.guide is a "quick" setup for its own usage. like most guide in fact. I don't blame the guide writer, but not giving choice is not nice. the guide also suppose you already made backups of clean NAND, disabled DNS, etc.

I personally prefer using hekate to boot other payloads, instead of injecting reinx (or other payloads) with a dongle/payload senders.
RCM -> Hekate payload -> menu to boot different CFW or any other payload from SD card.
instead of following 2 different guides telling you to inject (and replace) the dongle with the payload you want to launch.
It's not necessarily the way everybody should do it, it's just an available option to do it like that, and options are always good to have.
You can of course do both, and send a different payload directly from dongle, instead of hekate payload if you want or don't have it setup in hekate.ini file yet.

But using hekate is easier to pick the CFW to boot into and have both fast switchable custom firmwares version.
hekate (always the same boot menu, easy to use) : choose the CFW to boot into every time you reboot. go from ReiNX to Atomsphere quickly.

Atmosphere doesn't natively support unsigned nca & nsp & xci installing, launching, but allows usage of plugins.
there's already module patches to do what ReiNX does for atmosphere.

Do i need to make a back up of my Nand before i start on anything?
if you didn't hack your swith yet and never launched any CFW, I suggest you don't use ChoixdujourNX to update, or else you'll have a "compromised" NAND before doing the backup.
just use a FAT32 SD card and let hekate generate multiple 4GB NAND dump that you can join into a single binary file on your computer. Then, update to any firmware + exFat support so your console will be able to restore NAND from exFAT (you can't restore from FAT32).
after restoring NAND made pre-exfat support, you'll lose exFAT support again.

If you already used CFW in the past, then you don't care about backing up a clean NAND, just update with exFAT support then make your exFAT backup in one single file in hekate.

Last edited by Cyan,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: 24,000 hmmmm lol