Hacking Atmosphere-NX - Custom Firmware in development by SciresM

Meepers55

Flintstones Regular
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First off, there will be no way to compile things yourself and test them out. This kills of the great majority of testers right off the back.
If outside testing was something that they really wished for, they could simply release pre-compiled builds for the public to try out.

Second, not being able to see the source kills off any potential feedback, not so say that this also excludes any people that could or would want to make pull requests and give help to the repository. Access would be closed-off to the already limited group they have for Atmosphere development.
Being closed source wouldn't kill off all potential feedback. As soon as they release a single build, they open the doors for critiques. While people won't be able to directly add pull requests to their repository, there are other ways they could make any issues known to the development team.

Why does it matter if others use the already available code?
Isn't that the point? So that others can make their own stuff and perhaps even improve over it?
This leads directly to pull requests and commits from other people, just so you know. I feel as if you people don't even know how forks on GitHub work, hell I even dare say you don't know how GitHub works at all.
Not everyone makes their code open source just so others can use it. There are many different reasons why they may go open source.
As for knowing how GitHub works, that's almost irrelevant to what they were saying.

I'm not on either side here, I just had a few issues with the points you made. If Atmosphere stays open source (which it most likely will), it'll definitely be released sooner. If it goes closed source, then people will just be forced to make their own content. Either way, developers will still make things.

andijames

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You lot do know it's actually compilable and works fine right? It's technically done all bar the shouting :) happy days! And for god's sake just appreciate the work the open source community have put into this.

Reactions: mariogamer

Absintu

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
@SciresM

Really hope you and the Team will consider making Atmosphere closed-source before official launch. Especially before emuNAND. It'll be the final nail for those leaches.

Seems none of these things understand and appreciate that they'd have NOTHING if it weren't for you all. And the cons have been, literally, making a joke of their thievery. Shut all of them up.
But if it was closed sourced we would never had sxOS..

:)

DollyWhipDoll

Royalty & Unbothered. LMFAO!!! ;)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

The end user has no need to see what's going on. The only thing open-sourcing Atmosphere is doing is feeding parasites. Since so many of these things worship TX, we'll see if they ever get 2.0, REAL emuNAND, and any updates after Atmosphere is close source.

But if it was closed sourced we would never had sxOS..

Precisely...POOF!

These users really don't understand the 'don't bite the hand that feeds you' statement and they need to be taught.

Really hope @SciresM Team ReSwitched and all of Atmosphere has a meeting and puts an end to this farcical.

:-infern:

GBAtemp Legend
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The end user has no need to see what's going on. The only thing open-sourcing Atmosphere is doing is feeding parasites. Since so many of these things worship TX, we'll see if they ever get 2.0, REAL emuNAND, and any updates after Atmosphere is close source.

Precisely...POOF!

These users really don't understand the 'don't bite the hand that feeds you' statement and they need to be taught.

Really hope @SciresM Team ReSwitched and all of Atmosphere has a meeting and puts an end to this farcical.

I actually agree, with Atmosphere open, shills just repackage it for profit. Since they have their group of developers, I reckon it should become closed to only a trusted group of people. I mean, its not like there are that many active forks which are developing further than atmosphere anyway. They can release the source, but say like 2-3 weeks after a normal release. Keeping the shills behind the scene.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: Welp I'm off to best buy because I figured out how to shove another 14tb hard drive in this server 😂