Hacking Atmosphere-NX - Custom Firmware in development by SciresM

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah the SD I have is not that great, I have seen others reportingr the same, probably they have also bought a slow SD too...

But on the switch nothing loads games faster than the internal storage, micro SD is thankfully greater than even the official cartridges, but I just wonder how will the performance be with everything being loaded from it, game+is+caching... Also how much will the M-SD last to load 32+GB games in the future...

I just wish TX brings a fast 32GB incorporated into their solution.

Ps: but if the performance would be as good as the official cartridges I would be pretty happy with a hack, but I will probably first use whatever comes first for 3.02 ;).

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah the SD I have is not that great, I have seen others reportingr the same, probably they have also bought a slow SD too...

But on the switch nothing loads games faster than the internal storage, micro SD is thankfully greater than even the official cartridges, but I just wonder how will the performance be with everything being loaded from it, game+is+caching... Also how much will the M-SD last to load 32+GB games in the future...

I just wish TX brings a fast 32GB incorporated into their solution.

Ps: but if the performance would be as good as the official cartridges I would be pretty happy with a hack, but I will probably first use whatever comes first for 3.02 ;).
But your point for switch is kind of irrelevant, as most people use an SD for their games anyway due to the small size of the nand. Unless you don't put an SD card in, by default games install to SD.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I hope not, can't wait to see how it works with emunand+cashing gaming data + running a game all from SD.

I think is that Nintendo probably went cheap with the cartridges...

SciresM

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I hope not, can't wait to see how it works with emunand+cashing gaming data + running a game all from SD.

I think is that Nintendo probably went cheap with the cartridges...

Nintendo did not go cheap with the cartridges -- they have ASICs to ensure two-way secure communications.

If I were to guess, speculatively, speed hits on cart could be due to all the crypto overhead.

Last edited by SciresM,

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh I see, so that's what's ruining the performance.

It would be amazing if after the console gets fully hacked if we can use something like a Big Fast SD adapter on the cartridge port, it would be awesome having internal storage+MSD+SD all in the console because they just run out of space so fast.

@SciresM can you add OTG support on your CFW? And screen white calibration?

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh I see, so that's what's ruining the performance.

It would be amazing if after the console gets fully hacked if we can use something like a Big Fast SD adapter on the cartridge port, it would be awesome having internal storage+MSD+SD all in the console because they just run out of space so fast.

Not to sound rude, but it is a little impolite to be asking for features as much as you have, especially when most of it is the same request over and over. Might want to tone it down a bit, it might annoy others. It seems you are just excited, but I wanted to warn you so others don't get upset.

SciresM

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I have no idea what OTG means, and maybe in time -- that last thing is extraordinarily low priority, there is so much stuff to do before stuff on that level is even considered. I would recommend looking at the project roadmap.

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have no idea what OTG means, and maybe in time -- that last thing is extraordinarily low priority, there is so much stuff to do before stuff on that level is even considered. I would recommend looking at the project roadmap.
The switch already supports otg cables (on-the-go cables). They go from micro usb/USB C to standard USB female to plug USB devices into the system. But I have a type C otg adapter and it works prefectly fine for anything the console natively supports for its usb connections so I don't know why they are asking for that.

sauying

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
@SciresM
I know you’re working very hard on the project, Kudos !
any estimation of date which will make for public download? Felt excited for past few weeks when u announced the project

GBADWB

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@SciresM
any estimation of date which will make for public download? Felt excited for past few weeks when u announced the project

in general, one should never give estimates(unless its nearly done). It just sets precedence for people to get let down if the time arrives and it is not done.

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@SciresM
Probably not for a while. The project was just started when it was announced, and they are just finishing up one of five parts of the cfw. Just be patient.

Reactions: guily6669

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@SciresM
Let's do some stupid math.

Let's pretend Exosphere is done (it's not). Let's pretend the remaining four projects take just as long as Exosphere (they won't). That would mean Atmosphere-NX is 20% completed after 66 days and counting. Doing some fancy math, we can then estimate that it will take another 264 days to complete the remaining four projects. This results in an estimated release date of: Friday, December 14, 2018.

I can't emphasize enough just how stupid this math is. The point is that it's impossible to come up with an ETA. It will be ready when it's ready, and SciresM and others are doing this with their free time.

Last edited by Lacius,

Xandroz

Trophies
XP
Country
Egypt
just be patient let the guy do his magic and you will get something working. whats the point of asking for an ETA or rushing things and etting an incomplete cfw or somethig that will end up bricking some switches.
these things take time, if you are impatient go buy a ps4 or something and play some fortnite

LuigiGold

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
just be patient let the guy do his magic and you will get something working. whats the point of asking for an ETA or rushing things and etting an incomplete cfw or somethig that will end up bricking some switches.
these things take time, if you are impatient go buy a ps4 or something and play some fortnite
Or just play some old games... you don't need to play newer games to get some fun guys.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also SD is not much good for high usage, they die quickly, I have a few dead M-SD. I'm currently using a A1 classe on my Nvidia shield, this class is for more usage specially as internal storage for Android and it's fast...
Cheap SD cards will die after a few hundred gigabytes of writes, but all SD cards should be able to read indefinitely until they physically wear out

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah but that's the problem when everything is read and wrote from it specially cashing on them like game data cashing...

I will only buy A1 class M-SD from now on. On Android class10 is way too slow for internal use, but that's more the problem of the android encryption too...

Last edited by guily6669,

salamandrusker

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Nintendo did not go cheap with the cartridges -- they have ASICs to ensure two-way secure communications.

If I were to guess, speculatively, speed hits on cart could be due to all the crypto overhead.
Interesting to know that the cartridge is slower than the sd and for that reason I have even more desire to finally release this exploit based on emunand and hopefully can be used within the memory of the same nand, there is enough memory 32 gb Nintendo It gives me a slow device because it wants to use cryptography, we are going to put the cryptography in the ass and take advantage of its internal memory to improve a device that should have come already improved.

excellent work scires you should have created the nintendo switch

Onibi

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
@SciresM, I still understand the waiting game towards the TZ exploit and related kernel and user space exploits: To not release it until it's fully fixed, so that the most people can benefit.
However, could you maybe poke the right people a bit about releasing a bootrom exploit (+ some fixed kernel and user space exploits - for let's say firmware 3.0.0) or hardware designs. I would really like to join the development effort (and likely so would others) and help your efforts along. (I may not be the most proficient but I am sure I can contribute.)

Again, very glad you are doing what your are doing, the openness and promise of sharing your entry point eventually. But if if we have something non-fixable (bootrom) why not release it now to dev and then maximize the TZ support meanwhile. I know it's not "your" bug to share, but if you could promote it, that would be nice :)

(Whatcha think @Memoir ? HeHe ... *tag*)

Last edited by Onibi,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars: Dont know anyone wants those smaller ones. Most are after larger sizes and the kinda top of the...