Asia PSP??

Discussion in 'PSP - Games & Content' started by Yanazake, Jan 10, 2010.

1. Yanazake
    OP

Yanazake GBAtemp Regular

Jun 15, 2008
    Brazil
    HUNTING MAH CONSOLES!
    Okay, this is serious... I bought a PSP 2000 and it's coming from China.

I have just one question: Can this PSP run american or european games, even if a CFW is needed for that?
    I need an answer ASAP, so if it's negative, I can send it back and get refunds on it for "not meeting my requirements".

2. Jamstruth

Jamstruth Secondary Feline Anthropomorph

Apr 23, 2009
    North East Scotland
    PSPs are region free to my understanding like all good portables (region incompatibility had to do with TV encoding s there's no problems on portable consoles due to LCD screens)

3. Yanazake
    OP

Yanazake GBAtemp Regular

Jun 15, 2008
    Brazil
    HUNTING MAH CONSOLES!
    Jamstruth, thanks for sharing your thoughts.
    That's what I belive too, but there's the PSX in PSP Eboot thing - I heard that some games can't be played due to that same TV encoding thing!

Also, the seller says that "it plays all games, but don't play american umd movies" - from that I understand that movies to watch directly from the umd like if it was a normal DVD won't work, as if from a different region. [region 1, 4, 5 and so on...]

I'm still researching on this, so I don't have to waste more than necessary if I can't play what I want on it...

Please, everyone, share some light with me!

4. retiredjerk

retiredjerk GBAtemp Regular

Dec 7, 2006
    umd region locking is correct but a custom firmware can get around this. all games are region free though

5. Jamstruth

Jamstruth Secondary Feline Anthropomorph

Apr 23, 2009
    North East Scotland
    Being in a PAL region and having converted quite a few PS1 games for my PSP I can safely say that the ones I have tried have all worked perfectly. I believe the most that can happen is the screen being cut off because of the different numbers of lines in PAL compared to NTSC.
    I don't know BRazil's region but since it is in South America I would guess it is NTSC so the games should convert perfectly as the emulator is based for running NTSC games (Japan is NTSC-J)

6. Yanazake
    OP

Yanazake GBAtemp Regular

Jun 15, 2008
    Brazil
    HUNTING MAH CONSOLES!
    Ok, this is great! Thanks a bunch!
    Now I know I have to kill someone who said it wouldn't run anything... ¬¬