Are these two items compatible?????

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by jceggbert5, Jan 5, 2010.

Jan 5, 2010
  1. jceggbert5
    OP

Member jceggbert5 Check out my hack, New Retro Mario Bros.

United States
  2. Thoob

Member Thoob LOLmonade.

United Kingdom
    [​IMG] I am sick of hearing this:

A tri-core 2.4GHz DOES NOT = a 7.2GHz processor. In most applications, it actually gives the same performance as a 2.4GHz single core CPU, because most applications aren't programmed to use multiple cores.

3. playallday

Member playallday Group: GBAtemp Ghost

Canada
    Yeah it should work. The CPU is a little pricey, since I just sold my Quad Core 2.5GHz CPU for $60 shipped.

But don't buy that, it's going to cost you more when you get DDR2 RAM. Put the extra cash into getting a DDR3 board & a faster CPU and you'll save when it comes time to buy the RAM.

4. ZeWarrior

Member ZeWarrior TheWarrior

Brazil
    Yes, they are compatible. But I would advise againsts buying that CPU/Mobo combo. That AMD Phenom is the old version, they ran pretty hot and weren't the best of processors for one.. 2) You should get an i5/i7 build, Intel is still killing AMD with their CPUs. 3) Just because its a triple core @ 2.4Ghz, doesn't mean you have 7.2Ghz of procesing power. Not at all. You don't multiply XXGhz * X number of cores to get the processing power. An i7 @ 3Ghz isn't equivalent to a Pentium 4 @ 12Ghz (which, I know, isn't possible for the most part).

5. jceggbert5
    OP

Member jceggbert5 Check out my hack, New Retro Mario Bros.

United States
    May I have some suggestions then? I am trying to be cheap but effective... I am on a limited budget...
    edit: I do not want a MoBo/Processor combo, I want to buy separate... I would also like to be able to share at least 256MB of VRAM to my video adapter... I also need standard VGA port for video...

6. Elritha

Member Elritha GBAtemp Addict

Canada
    I'd get an Intel Core 2 cpu instead, or a lower end i5/i7, though that would then need a different motherboard then your current one selected.

If it's a boxed cpu then they usually do come with a stock fan. It's adequate, just don't try and overclock it too much with a stock one. [​IMG]

Edit: Just noticed your new post. What is your budget range roughly?

7. playallday

Member playallday Group: GBAtemp Ghost

Canada
    AMD is still much better then Intel for speed for buck. You should be going ATi for a video card, since NVIDIA sucks right now. And most Intel boards don't work with CrossFire.

It's just best to go with AMD and ATi.

8. ZeWarrior

Brazil
    Why invest in a dead socket? Go i5/i7 or go home.

9. Elritha

Canada
    The 775 socket range is still considerably cheaper overall in general. It also still performs very well. If he's on a budget I would choose that, otherwise get the newer range ones.

10. ZeWarrior

Brazil
    Not any more its not. You can get the best Intel Core 2 Quad out now, its already outdated and if you try and update, you'll need a new mobo anyway. Again, go i5/i7 or go home.

11. Elritha

Canada
    I agree that the i5/i7 is better. Always being on the cutting edge of technology isn't an option for all. The cost of that can be more then double the price of the 775 socket, which I may add can still run any game thrown at it. Intel is still producing those cpus anyway, so it isn't dead yet, as they are targeted at the more mainstream market, while the i7 is for more high end use. The main bottleneck would be the gpu in any case, if it's being used for gaming.

Going by the op original choice of cpu and motherboard, I imagine he didn't want to spend an arm and a leg on his system.

12. Psyfira

Member Psyfira Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue

United Kingdom
    I'll second that, I'm looking for a new PC in the lower end of the mid-range price bracket atm and I've found even the slowest i5's are well out of that range.

13. ZeWarrior

Brazil
    You'll be spending more in the long run by buying dated technology.

14. Cermage

Member Cermage GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Australia
    honestly if you're going to buy any of the 775 socket and you are going to be gaming, go for the 550be or the 720be phenom's instead. am3 will be supported by bulldozer when it does come out, so when you do feel the need to upgrade the option will be there.

though, if you don't mind forking out a good 300-400 every 2 years or so by all means go for a 775 socket.