Hacking Are 3DS's getting bricked more often recently?

keldoggg

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
babyshambles.net
XP
Country
Am I missing something that has happened over the last few days/weeks guys? Are 3DS's getting routinely bricked???

I am running 2 x 3DS XL's with r4i Gold 3DS Deluxe Editions, firmware 2.0. Wood 1.64.

They consistently play every 3D ROM my boys have (except Pokemon & Zelda), so I'm guessing I'm lucky and I shouldn't update my cart firmware?

Cheers

Huntereb

Trophies
Website
lewd.pics
XP
Country
United States
I am running 2 x 3DS XL's with r4i Gold 3DS Deluxe Editions, firmware 2.0. Wood 1.64.

Stay on that firmware, there's no difference between it and the newest released one. You're safe from bricks on it too, just don't update the firmware until more news comes up on here after a new firmware is released.

Reactions: keldoggg

Presentum

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
BAM say bye to ur 3DS :v i actually don't understand why people bought clones....Not much difference in the $

CraddaPoosta

Sepatown, my damie.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Am I missing something that has happened over the last few days/weeks guys? Are 3DS's getting routinely bricked???

They consistently play every 3D ROM my boys have (except Pokemon & Zelda), so I'm guessing I'm lucky and I shouldn't update my cart firmware?

Cheers

No. Actually, the last confirmed brick was about a week ago, give or take a few days.

Fewer than ten total confirmed bricks, roughly five from GBATemp users, and more than 100 Gateway owners have responded to a recent poll about which firmware they were running.

Assuming that all real bricks HAVE been reported and verified by photographic evidence, the odds are extremely, extremely low for you to brick. Don't buy into all the hype. This is much ado about nothing.

Especially do not listen to people who do not own a Gateway 3DS cart at all. They're just fearmongering and trying to catch a feeling off of all the buzz surrounding the bricking debacle.

Reactions: keldoggg

Huntereb

Trophies
Website
lewd.pics
XP
Country
United States
No. Actually, the last confirmed brick was about a week ago, give or take a few days.

He is referring to the R4 flashcards, not the Gateway. Do not use firmware's 3.1-3.3 (3.3b is fine, it's the same as 1.2).

Especially do not listen to people who do not own a Gateway 3DS cart at all. They're just fearmongering and trying to catch a feeling off of all the buzz surrounding the bricking debacle.

If you own a Gateway, then yes, take this advice. I however, own a Gateway, and do not recommend using the latest firmware. I myself have not been bricked, but the risk involved is too high for my taste.

Reactions: Tomy Sakazaki

CraddaPoosta

Sepatown, my damie.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My entire point here is to help people to see what the realistic and accurate numbers are, so they can make up their own minds. What you do with your own device and flash cards are up to you. I merely want people to have the correct information, rather than emotionally-charged opinions on the matter.

107+ known Gateway users on GBATemp. 5 actual bricks that have been completely verified. Again, I can live with odds like that.

I walk on the wild side. I'm a loner, Dottie. A rebel.

16.3 cool points for anyone who gets the reference.

Huntereb

Trophies
Website
lewd.pics
XP
Country
United States
My entire point here is to help people to see what the realistic and accurate numbers are, so they can make up their own minds. What you do with your own device and flash cards are up to you. I merely want people to have the correct information, rather than emotionally-charged opinions on the matter.

I understand that, but this thread is not referring to the Gateway, therefore there is no need for that information here.

In the other 9,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999 Gateway threads, sure, go for it.

Jiro2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Fewer than ten total confirmed bricks, roughly five from GBATemp users, and more than 100 Gateway owners have responded to a recent poll about which firmware they were running.

Assuming that all real bricks HAVE been reported and verified by photographic evidence, the odds are extremely, extremely low for you to brick. Don't buy into all the hype. This is much ado about nothing.

Assuming all of that, first of all, it's 7 bricks.

Second, if you think it's okay to compare 7 bricks to 100 owners, that's huge! Really huge! At that rate most people would be bricked in less than a year.

Huntereb

Trophies
Website
lewd.pics
XP
Country
United States
All 3DS consoles bricked were bricked because of Gateway's original code, from which all other flash carts are derived. So, it stands to reason that I would directly associate bricks with Gateway.

I can see where your logic resides, but the clones have already thrown out the code containing the bricking mechanism, and have alerted their users of the dilemma. That's the reason we aren't seeing any brick reports from R4 users anymore. The only reason we're seeing threads like this one is because of the "fearmongering" you were talking about.

Let's end this, I don't want an argument to start in a thread that is only asking a simple question. Thanks for trying to inform people, but it's not needed here.

CraddaPoosta

Sepatown, my damie.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
5 confirmed bricks from GBATemp, Jiro2. No matter how you slice it, if we're taking reported and confirmed bricks against people using Gateway cards who have NOT bricked, and basing both on their participation in discussions on GBATemp, then it is still accurate to state that fewer than 5% of Gateway 3DS owners who use the GBATemp forums have suffered a brick.

I have roughly a 95% chance or better of NOT being bricked, based on the available evidence. Odds that I can totally live with. If I was going to brick, I would have bricked already.

CraddaPoosta

Sepatown, my damie.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can see where your logic resides, but the clones have already thrown out the code containing the bricking mechanism, and have alerted their users of the dilemma. That's the reason we aren't seeing any brick reports from R4 users anymore. The only reason we're seeing threads like this one is because of the "fearmongering" you were talking about.

Let's end this, I don't want an argument to start in a thread that is only asking a simple question. Thanks for trying to inform people, but it's not needed here.

It totally IS needed to try to stave off needless terror. People are freaking out over something that affects fewer than 1-in-20 users, as if EVERYBODY who purchased a Gateway 3DS card WILL brick.

The evidence shows that, yes, you MIGHT brick, but the odds of bricking as compared to not bricking are extremely, extremely low.

Armed with this knowledge, people are able to make their own, INFORMED decisions about what products they purchase, and what risk they assume in doing so.

keldoggg

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
babyshambles.net
XP
Country
Hey thanks guys. I didn't mean to cause an argument but cheers for the info.

The comment from presentum was totally senseless as you said!

I'm happy that I am relatively safe with my r4i and do not intend updating anything unless I really need to but can't see that happening in the near future. My lads can do without Pokemon and Zelda for the forseeable!

Cheers fellas

Reactions: CraddaPoosta

Jiro2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have roughly a 95% chance or better of NOT being bricked, based on the available evidence. Odds that I can totally live with. If I was going to brick, I would have bricked already.

You have a 95% chance of not being bricked over the course of a MONTH. Over a year that amounts to a 54% chance of not being bricked and a 46% chance of being bricked. You do realize that the odds accumulate over longer periods of time, right?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    I @ idonthave: :)