Are 3DS's getting bricked more often recently?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by keldoggg, Jan 23, 2014.

  1. keldoggg
    OP

    keldoggg Advanced Member

    Newcomer
    64
    11
    Jan 6, 2014
    Am I missing something that has happened over the last few days/weeks guys? Are 3DS's getting routinely bricked???

    I am running 2 x 3DS XL's with r4i Gold 3DS Deluxe Editions, firmware 2.0. Wood 1.64.

    They consistently play every 3D ROM my boys have (except Pokemon & Zelda), so I'm guessing I'm lucky and I shouldn't update my cart firmware?

    Cheers
     


  2. Huntereb

    Huntereb GBAtemp Addict

    Member
    2,748
    949
    Sep 1, 2013
    United States

    Stay on that firmware, there's no difference between it and the newest released one. You're safe from bricks on it too, just don't update the firmware until more news comes up on here after a new firmware is released.
     
    keldoggg likes this.
  3. Presentum

    Presentum GBAtemp Regular

    Member
    109
    9
    Dec 9, 2013
    Mexico
    BAM say bye to ur 3DS :v i actually don't understand why people bought clones....Not much difference in the $
     
  4. Huntereb

    Huntereb GBAtemp Addict

    Member
    2,748
    949
    Sep 1, 2013
    United States

    You obviously have no idea what the hell you're talking about, and shouldn't be anywhere near this thread.
     
  5. Neo Draven

    Neo Draven End Boss of the Entire Internet

    Member
    822
    492
    May 3, 2010
    United States
    No. Actually, the last confirmed brick was about a week ago, give or take a few days.

    Fewer than ten total confirmed bricks, roughly five from GBATemp users, and more than 100 Gateway owners have responded to a recent poll about which firmware they were running.

    Assuming that all real bricks HAVE been reported and verified by photographic evidence, the odds are extremely, extremely low for you to brick. Don't buy into all the hype. This is much ado about nothing.

    Especially do not listen to people who do not own a Gateway 3DS cart at all. They're just fearmongering and trying to catch a feeling off of all the buzz surrounding the bricking debacle.
     
    keldoggg likes this.
  6. Huntereb

    Huntereb GBAtemp Addict

    Member
    2,748
    949
    Sep 1, 2013
    United States

    He is referring to the R4 flashcards, not the Gateway. Do not use firmware's 3.1-3.3 (3.3b is fine, it's the same as 1.2).


    If you own a Gateway, then yes, take this advice. I however, own a Gateway, and do not recommend using the latest firmware. I myself have not been bricked, but the risk involved is too high for my taste.
     
    Tomy Sakazaki likes this.
  7. Neo Draven

    Neo Draven End Boss of the Entire Internet

    Member
    822
    492
    May 3, 2010
    United States
    My entire point here is to help people to see what the realistic and accurate numbers are, so they can make up their own minds. What you do with your own device and flash cards are up to you. I merely want people to have the correct information, rather than emotionally-charged opinions on the matter.

    107+ known Gateway users on GBATemp. 5 actual bricks that have been completely verified. Again, I can live with odds like that.

    I walk on the wild side. I'm a loner, Dottie. A rebel.

    16.3 cool points for anyone who gets the reference.
     
    tbgtbg and digipimp75 like this.
  8. cypher007

    cypher007 Advanced Member

    Newcomer
    74
    9
    Jan 2, 2014
    pee wee big adventure.

    googled.
     
    Neo Draven and Huntereb like this.
  9. Huntereb

    Huntereb GBAtemp Addict

    Member
    2,748
    949
    Sep 1, 2013
    United States

    I understand that, but this thread is not referring to the Gateway, therefore there is no need for that information here.

    In the other 9,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999 Gateway threads, sure, go for it.
     
  10. Neo Draven

    Neo Draven End Boss of the Entire Internet

    Member
    822
    492
    May 3, 2010
    United States
    All 3DS consoles bricked were bricked because of Gateway's original code, from which all other flash carts are derived. So, it stands to reason that I would directly associate bricks with Gateway.
     
    RodrigoDavy and Tomy Sakazaki like this.
  11. Jiro2

    Jiro2 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

    Member
    760
    185
    Mar 28, 2011
    United States
    Assuming all of that, first of all, it's 7 bricks.

    Second, if you think it's okay to compare 7 bricks to 100 owners, that's huge! Really huge! At that rate most people would be bricked in less than a year.
     
  12. Huntereb

    Huntereb GBAtemp Addict

    Member
    2,748
    949
    Sep 1, 2013
    United States

    I can see where your logic resides, but the clones have already thrown out the code containing the bricking mechanism, and have alerted their users of the dilemma. That's the reason we aren't seeing any brick reports from R4 users anymore. The only reason we're seeing threads like this one is because of the "fearmongering" you were talking about.

    Let's end this, I don't want an argument to start in a thread that is only asking a simple question. Thanks for trying to inform people, but it's not needed here.
     
  13. Neo Draven

    Neo Draven End Boss of the Entire Internet

    Member
    822
    492
    May 3, 2010
    United States
    5 confirmed bricks from GBATemp, Jiro2. No matter how you slice it, if we're taking reported and confirmed bricks against people using Gateway cards who have NOT bricked, and basing both on their participation in discussions on GBATemp, then it is still accurate to state that fewer than 5% of Gateway 3DS owners who use the GBATemp forums have suffered a brick.

    I have roughly a 95% chance or better of NOT being bricked, based on the available evidence. Odds that I can totally live with. If I was going to brick, I would have bricked already.
     
  14. Neo Draven

    Neo Draven End Boss of the Entire Internet

    Member
    822
    492
    May 3, 2010
    United States
    It totally IS needed to try to stave off needless terror. People are freaking out over something that affects fewer than 1-in-20 users, as if EVERYBODY who purchased a Gateway 3DS card WILL brick.

    The evidence shows that, yes, you MIGHT brick, but the odds of bricking as compared to not bricking are extremely, extremely low.

    Armed with this knowledge, people are able to make their own, INFORMED decisions about what products they purchase, and what risk they assume in doing so.
     
  15. Huntereb

    Huntereb GBAtemp Addict

    Member
    2,748
    949
    Sep 1, 2013
    United States

    100% true, but like I said, it doesn't need to be reiterated as many times as it has been in a thread like this. :wink:
     
  16. redkeyboard

    redkeyboard GBAtemp Advanced Fan

    Member
    627
    154
    Jan 8, 2013
    United States
    You guys sure do know how to take a thread and just head it in a completely different direction. Well I guess I'm adding to it, but come on...
     
    RodrigoDavy likes this.
  17. Huntereb

    Huntereb GBAtemp Addict

    Member
    2,748
    949
    Sep 1, 2013
    United States

    Me? I was persuading him not to! Though, I did contribute by leading him on, didn't I?
     
  18. Neo Draven

    Neo Draven End Boss of the Entire Internet

    Member
    822
    492
    May 3, 2010
    United States
    I ate a live goldfish one time as a bet. Got a pack of cigarettes out of the deal.
     
    Huntereb likes this.
  19. keldoggg
    OP

    keldoggg Advanced Member

    Newcomer
    64
    11
    Jan 6, 2014
    Hey thanks guys. I didn't mean to cause an argument but cheers for the info.

    The comment from presentum was totally senseless as you said!

    I'm happy that I am relatively safe with my r4i and do not intend updating anything unless I really need to but can't see that happening in the near future. My lads can do without Pokemon and Zelda for the forseeable!

    Cheers fellas
     
    Neo Draven likes this.
  20. Jiro2

    Jiro2 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

    Member
    760
    185
    Mar 28, 2011
    United States
    You have a 95% chance of not being bricked over the course of a MONTH. Over a year that amounts to a 54% chance of not being bricked and a 46% chance of being bricked. You do realize that the odds accumulate over longer periods of time, right?