Trophies
Website
www.schlarp.com
XP
Country
United States
Ace Gunman said:
Renegade_R said:
It was a little over the top to be believable.

Maybe would have got a 13 year old kid.
Only if you take it as just what you saw on the outside (the banner and such), the reason it was believable was because of things I will speak off underneath the quote below...

QUOTE(danielgardino @ Apr 1 2008, 08:39 PM) I must confess that I´ve never seen so much dedication and work to try to make us fall for this nasty April Fools joke. Advertising Banners, CNET Taskbar, even shutting down the site for a few hours just to pretend the servers are moving to CNET... that´s pretty orchestrated joke.

Oh, and the "new" moderators... Adam, Pete, Ryan, Ian and Liam... that´s very funny. Very nice people.
gbasp.gif
There was much more to it than that. We had fake topics appear and disappear, we leaked faked rumors for a month, etc etc. We had most people believing it was true before the actual joke went into effect. The cherry on top was that we released it on March 31st (April 1st in Australia) to avoid the typical "It was launched on April fools day so it has to be a joke" skepticism.

However, admittedly, it probably wasn't as convincing if you hadn't been hearing all th rumors swirling, and seeing people's topics on it mysterious get closed/deleted. Or if you hadn't seen the fake staff arguments we put on in the IRC channel, or didn't know about the quittings.

That's what I get for leaving for leaving for a while... I miss out on the good stuff
frown.gif

DespizingU

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Poor JPH. He really fell for it. He was actually pretty pissed about the sell out too.

That was a very obvious and lame April Fools(hope you guys try harder next year), but I think JPH deserves an apology. He was probably balled up in his corner in the fetal position crying about this.
poor guy.

xcalibur

Gbatemp's Chocolate Bear
Trophies
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
[02:54] You know this was all Cnets fault.....it wouldnt have been as big f a deal if they didnt suck balls....
[02:54] you have a point
[02:54] for once
[02:54] moots said something good
[02:54] lmao

also

QUOTE[02:54] Actually.
[02:55] Originally we were going to go with Nintendo, which would have been completely fake.
[02:55] yeah
[02:55] too bait

Heran Bago

Where do puyo come from?
Trophies
Website
heranbago.com
XP
Country
United States
It's not an "april fools" if you make the joke before April. Then its just a prank.

It was a well done prank. 'A' for effort! I hope next year the staff can do a good april fools joke.
wink.gif
(e: there's still time to get one in this year!)

I hadn't fallen for it but it was fun watching the shit hit the fan.

Heran Bago

Where do puyo come from?
Trophies
Website
heranbago.com
XP
Country
United States
Ace Gunman said:
Heran Bago said:
It's not an "april fools" if you make the joke before April. Then its just a prank.
The joke was made in April.... in Australia.

It was posted Yesterday, 11:33 AM. Are you sure you aren't overestimating the time difference?
Even then, were the sever or poster shaunj66 in an april 1st time zone at the time?

shineget

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
i just logged in purely to see if it was a joke or not, thank god it was. To be honest, i did fall for it at first but assumed it was an april fools after reading some of the forum posts. but there was always a part of me that thought, maybe, just maybe.

Ace Gunman

~••Lucky҉Shot••~
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Heran Bago said:
Ace Gunman said:
Heran Bago said:
The joke was made in April.... in Australia.

It was posted Yesterday, 11:33 AM. Are you sure you aren't overestimating the time difference?
Even then, were the sever or poster shaunj66 in an april 1st time zone at the time?
If you're referring to the announcement topic, that was made in advance several hours before the actual prank.

thegame07

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Well thanks jph for the pm
smile.gif
however I knew it was a april fools joke as soon as you told me lol! I thought you where in on it, Shame on you guys doing that to him! lol

Brainy142

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
KiVin got BEAT DOWN by the april fools joke
tongue.gif

I figured It was fake after I went to the cnet site and didn't see your listiong and it was before april fools
tongue.gif

Tanas

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
This must have been the worse April fools of the lot... why would a law abiding site want to own a warez related site, and ruin their reputations.

kmaster78

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That was a good joke! Because poop would definitly hit the fan if it were true!
There is a lot of april fools jokes going around the web. This one is the best!
smile.gif

JPH

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
jphtemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Tanas said:
This must have been the worse April fools of the lot... why would a law abiding site want to own a warez related site, and ruin their reputations.

The Staff can't have a little fun every once in a while?

Actually, I think it boosted the site's popularity - not decreased it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Crowbar?