Anyone using crystal case?

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by TsukiRyori, Aug 29, 2016.

1. TsukiRyori
    OP

TsukiRyori Member

Newcomer
    Aug 26, 2016
    ive seen ppl complaining it scratches their 3ds , it might be cos its a knock off brand.
    im planning on getting a hori Duraflexi , is it any good ? i think its a bit rubbery any thoughts

2. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    Dust getting trapped inside the case has the potential to scratch the 3DS, I haven't noticed any issues with it on my o3DS XL though. Haven't used one on my small n3DS, since it has replaceable faceplates I figured I don't really need one. Plus, dust could scratch the 3DS whether it's in a case or not, so it's not like a case is worse than no case at all. You would almost certainly get more scratches if you didn't use a case at all.

Edit: Took the crystal case off my o3DS XL and gave it a clean just to check, and as far as I can tell it's still in mint condition, there were some smudges that looked like they could be scratches but they rubbed off. I've also had it in a pouch most of the time, but sometimes brought it loose in my pocket because it's huge with the pouch. It's a limited edition Pokemon X/Y one so I've been really careful with it, and it's had a crystal case on it since almost day 1.
    The plastic of the crystal case is pretty soft, so it should be very difficult for it to scratch the 3DS on its own. There are some scratches on the outside of the crystal case, which could potentially have been on my 3DS if I didn't have the case, so if you're worried about the 3DS getting scratched from normal use a crystal case is definitely a good idea.
    My crystal case is just a cheap one I got from eBay so any one should do. The inside of it should be completely smooth, at least it is on mine, as unevenness could promote scratches.

I don't have any experience with the Hori Duraflexi, it's not really a crystal case since AFAIK those are all hard plastic, though TPU gel is what I've used on my phones and it's done well. Since it's soft, it should absorb some impact from drops, which a crystal case won't really do (though I still don't suggest dropping it :P ), the scratch protection should be equal or better than a crystal case and it should be more durable as well.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye, Aug 29, 2016
  3. theinternetnomad

theinternetnomad GBAtemp Regular

May 3, 2013
    Canada
    Toronto, Ontario
    I have one on my new 3ds xl and I love it. Dust does get inside but it hasn't scratched it really.

4. TsukiRyori
    OP

TsukiRyori Member

Newcomer
    Aug 26, 2016
    the problem with n3ds xl is no faceplate replacement so im tryna becareful.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

its rubbery thing right? not a hard plastic

5. theinternetnomad

May 3, 2013
    Canada
    Toronto, Ontario
    Yeah, but not flimsy either. I like it over the hard crystal cases that are available

6. TsukiRyori
    OP

TsukiRyori Member

Newcomer
    Aug 26, 2016
    how long are you using it does it turn yellowish?

7. Swiftloke

Swiftloke Hwaaaa!

Jan 26, 2015
    United States
    Nowhere
    STOP. DO NOT BUY IT. I once had a crystal case... And well it wasn't pretty. It scratched off a large chunk of the paint on my o3ds, in large lines. It even chipped the plastic.

8. Knitten

Knitten Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 30, 2016
    United States
    Hmmm... I've had a crystal case since the 3DS was first released, yes I was one of the idiots that bought it for MML3: Proto-type and have the ambassador program, but, I've got no scratches what-so-ever on my 3DS. I also got a "crystal" case for my N3DS (FE: FATES N3DS), it's the rubbery one and again no scratches. Then again I put them on with gloves...

9. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ Cuddle lesbian derp

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    I keep my system safe, does that count?

10. Knitten

Knitten Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 30, 2016
    United States
    I mean like so as long as you don't do anything stupid with it I don't see why it should ever be scratched :/ I have two original Gameboys from 1989 and they don't even have scratches on the screen >.>
    I'm one of those people that put's my toys away and I won't bring anything unnecessary to the beach, school, work, etc... I'll play with them in the hotel room or if I'm on a long bus/train ride but that's really it, other than that I keep these things tucked away in a case in my backpack or something.

EDIT: btw what on earth is that in your signature o.o

11. MadMageKefka

MadMageKefka GBAtemp Maniac

Apr 28, 2016
    United States
    World of ruin
    A lot of crystal cases are made different. The type with the hinges on the side are generally more thin, but also prone to breaking. I've found them as cheap as $3 though. I've never had a problem with them scratching the system. The kind without the hinges tend to be a bit more thick and have larger "tabs" to hold the cover in place. Those large tabs scare me. It takes a decent amount of force to snap it in place. I have no doubt those cause scratches.

12. Knitten

Knitten Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 30, 2016
    United States
    I use the ones with the extra thick tabs, but, they're also the rubber ones not the hard plastic ones. Really hard to get on but since it's rubber no scratches; also rubber cases absorb impact, hard plastic transfers impact.

13. theinternetnomad

May 3, 2013
    Canada
    Toronto, Ontario
    Had it since 2015? Whenever the majora's mask new 3ds came out in NA. Its not yellow at all, I do keep mine in another zip up case too though.