Question Anyone tried using a dongle on the dock?

Discussion in 'Switch - Backup Loaders & Modchips' started by MeLzAr, Sep 5, 2018.

1. MeLzAr
    OP

MeLzAr Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 5, 2018
    United States
    Out of curiousity can you push a payload through the usb port on the dock? I dont own a dongle.

2. Milenko

Milenko GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Oct 16, 2017
    Australia
    You need the AC adaptor plugged in to use the dock so there's no where to plug in the dongle

3. MeLzAr
    OP

MeLzAr Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 5, 2018
    United States
    ahh right I was thinking of the full size usb but now you reminded me that all of the dongles use usb c. still curious if a payload can be pushed through the dock though.

4. Uumas

Uumas GBAtemp Addict

Sep 17, 2016
    Finland
    I don't think so. The ports on the dock probably only allow the switch to be the "host" USB device and the dongle would need to be the "host"

5. MeLzAr
    OP

MeLzAr Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 5, 2018
    United States
    Uumas I believe you are right. I just found a Usb A Male to Usb A Male cable and I plugged my computer in to the dock and it didn't send the payload or even recognize the switch at all. So case closed I guess. Thanks for the input!

6. nero99

nero99 GBAtemp Addict

Sep 18, 2014
    United States
  7. Aerogems

Aerogems Member

Newcomer
    Apr 24, 2018
    United States
    What if you spliced the dongle into the USB C port used to charge the system and send the video out to the HDMI port? Say, for instance, you put in a USB C hub between the dock and the charger/dongle? So it's something like

Charger + dongle ----> Hub ----> Dock

Anyone out there have a USB C hub and willing to give it a go?

8. dude1

dude1 GBAtemp Regular

Apr 11, 2006
    Canada
    considering you only need the dongle for the initial boot and rebooting is so rare why not use the dongle, then plug into the dock? seems easier than a mod chip