Hacking Question Any way to backup emuMMC?

QueenMawina

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Apparently Hekate has a feature where you can backup your emuMMC instead of your eMMC, but when i toggle it, all the buttons disable. Does anyone know why? Is there any other way to backup emuMMC?

Attachments

• screen_0183235D.bmp
    3.5 MB · Views: 469

LeMageFro

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Apparently Hekate has a feature where you can backup your emuMMC instead of your eMMC, but when i toggle it, all the buttons disable. Does anyone know why? Is there any other way to backup emuMMC?
The option is simply not implemented yet even though the UI is there already, that's why the buttons get disabled. It will be part of a future release of hekate. For now you can use any partition backup tool on your computer, for exemple dd as Mthodmn101 suggested.

Last edited by LeMageFro,
Reactions: Lacius

QueenMawina

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
The option is simply not implemented yet even though the UI is there already, that's why the buttons get disabled. It will be part of a future release of hekate. For now you can use any partition backup tool on your computer, for exemple dd as Mthodmn101 suggested.
Ill try and learn how to use it, thanks!

NDSAK2

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

dd examples

I can confirm dd works. I have used it to backup and restore emuMMC partitions. I did need to enter the emuMMC menu in Hekate, and run the "Migrate emuMMC" option, otherwise it would bootloop. I didn't look to deep into it, but I assume it just rewrites the emuMMC config to point to the correct partition start.

claussm

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for this thread. Going to try dd on windows and see if this works for me! Otherwise I guess I'm spinning up another fedora VM :yayswitch:

claussm

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i'm trying to do it with with ODIN, not sure if it will work though.
Be sure to report back if it does! I'm mostly worried about ever hosing my system and having to reinstall all my games. I tend to manually backup my saves enough to not worry about that element.

Does anyone know if backing up the Nintendo folder enough to maintain game installations? Say I decided to start from scratch with CFW, would I be able to copy/paste that and be good to go, or no? If so, I wouldn't really care to backup my emummc. Installing the OS takes 2 seconds. It's the games that take forever!

piterayo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
I'm comparing the result of ODIN and the raw data in the SD Card (using HxD) and it seems that ODIN adds some data at the start of the file (some bytes containing data of it's format), so it's not a clean copy of the partition...

EDIT: Here's the difference, the selected data is what ODIN adds:
ODIN backup
https://imgur.com/SVtXnCr
Raw SDCard data
https://imgur.com/nID62k6

Last edited by piterayo,
Reactions: claussm

axiomjunglist

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I successfully backed up and copied over my existing emuMMC partition to a new SD card using ODIN last night. YMMV, but here's how I did it...

Using this version of ODIN with no options applied, I created an image file backup. Then using the first part of this tutorial I split my new SD card's primary partition and assigned the unallocated space using DiskGenius (after formatting it from exFAT to FAT32). After that I used ODIN to restore the image file I created to the new partition. Final step was manually copying over all the normal files to the other partition, e.g. emuMMC folder, Atmosphere, Bootloader, etc.) and then using the migrate function in Hekate to correct the emuMMC pathway.

I'll report back if anything comes up, but so far no issues at all...

[Everything above using Windows 10]

Last edited by axiomjunglist,

billapong

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
dd works just fine. All it does is make a copy of the RAW data on the card. You can then restore it anytime you want (using dd again). Done it over 50 times.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    ButterScott101 @ ButterScott101: +1