OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
See photo attached.

“New” 3DS LL, default grey background.

91% Isopropyl Alcohol (IPA) got under the screen cover, and now there’s both a shadow across the bottom and clouding on the right side.

The left side is presently unaffected.

The device is turned off and the battery has been removed.

Any chance this’ll go away or improve on its own?

Any tips to repair short of replacing the screen altogether?

Attachments

• IMG_5812.jpeg
    IMG_5812.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 5

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
See photo attached.

“New” 3DS LL, default grey background.

91% Isopropyl Alcohol (IPA) got under the screen cover, and now there’s both a shadow across the bottom and clouding on the right side.

The left side is presently unaffected.

The device is turned off and the battery has been removed.

Any chance this’ll go away or improve on its own?

Any tips to repair short of replacing the screen altogether?
It gets inbetween the layers of the screen, it's unlikely to go away on its own and there's no real way to clean it off, the screen is essentially junk now.
Replacement screens aren't expensive, I think.

AskingForTrouble

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It gets inbetween the layers of the screen, it's unlikely to go away on its own and there's no real way to clean it off, the screen is essentially junk now.
Replacement screens aren't expensive, I think.
I’d rather sell it for parts, it has a bunch of other issues, too.

• Non-Responsive D-Pad
  • Sticky A Button
  • Damaged screen cover
  • Fells like there’s sand in the joystick
  • Overall just a dirty unit

How much would you sell it for?

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I’d rather sell it for parts, it has a bunch of other issues, too.

• Non-Responsive D-Pad
  • Sticky A Button
  • Damaged screen cover
  • Fells like there’s sand in the joystick
  • Overall just a dirty unit

How much would you sell it for?
The buttons/D-pad probably just need a good clean. The metal dome switches are adhered on, there could be corrosion/dirt underneath. The joystick could use a good clean with IPA and canned air as well to give it some more life but it's probably best to replace it. Screen cover replacements should be available though I haven't checked. All in all, not too difficult to restore it to good working order.

I'm the wrong guy to ask about pricing since everything costs more here in Norway :P But it is in working condition, even if it's quite worn out, it shouldn't reduce the value too much. The wildcard is the non responsive D-pad, most likely it just needs a clean but it could be something more serious, people might not be willing to pay as much since it's not a guaranteed easy fix. If you could get that working, it would be easier to sell.

AskingForTrouble

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The buttons/D-pad probably just need a good clean. The metal dome switches are adhered on, there could be corrosion/dirt underneath. The joystick could use a good clean with IPA and canned air as well to give it some more life but it's probably best to replace it. Screen cover replacements should be available though I haven't checked. All in all, not too difficult to restore it to good working order.

I'm the wrong guy to ask about pricing since everything costs more here in Norway :P But it is in working condition, even if it's quite worn out, it shouldn't reduce the value too much. The wildcard is the non responsive D-pad, most likely it just needs a clean but it could be something more serious, people might not be willing to pay as much since it's not a guaranteed easy fix. If you could get that working, it would be easier to sell.
I did try dripping IPA onto / into the buttons, which helps but then it dries up and the buttons aren’t responsive again.

There’s dust that needs to be more thoroughly cleaned out of the unit, I don’t have the patience to do thoroughly take it apart and, more importantly, reassemble it, so hopefully someone else would be willing to buy it to fox for themselves.

The screen also looks a bit better than when I first took the photo, I’ll post an update tomorrow.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I did try dripping IPA onto / into the buttons, which helps but then it dries up and the buttons aren’t responsive again.

There’s dust that needs to be more thoroughly cleaned out of the unit, I don’t have the patience to do thoroughly take it apart and, more importantly, reassemble it, so hopefully someone else would be willing to buy it to fox for themselves.

The screen also looks a bit better than when I first took the photo, I’ll post an update tomorrow.
Yeah, you have to peel off the metal dome switches (they might not go back on nicely though)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Right onto uremums 3d printed dildo