Gaming Any good typing software?

mrnintendo15

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I want to learn to type the right way, because I know I will use it a lot in life. The last time I tried to learn how to type was in sixth grade. Everyone had to use the "All the right type" game thing to learn how to type. It was mind-numbingly boring and I didn't learn to type properly in the end. So is there any typing software/game that isn't boring? It doesn't have to be fun but atleast tolerable. Anything beats typing with my two middle fingers.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
...In all honesty typing software is kinda shit. I had to use it up to sixth grade but I learned almost all my typing from playing Runescape all day every day.

But if you want something that's both highly entertaining and good to teach typing, I suggest Typing of the Dead. It's House of the Dead 2... with keyboards instead of lightguns. Fun game for experienced and inexperienced typers.

Although if you're a poor typer you may be getting your ass handed to you a few times.

Other than that, I would suggest just playing something that requires consistent amounts of typing. For me, it was Runescape. Over the years I eventually memorized the keys and now I don't even look at the keyboard when typing and I have a pretty decent words per minute. Even if it's just constantly IM'ing with a friend, it works. I can't say I remember any of the "home row" garbage from elementary school but I can remember chatting to people while fishing sharks for hours on Runescape.

Reactions: 1 person

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I've tried severals in my life, but all of them have been very boring (and very 1990)... I learnt typing just by writing a lot of emails, chatting, and basically just write a lot on the computer. I don't have the correct hand placement like the typists in court have, I really can't use my pinkies like they think you should. However I rarely miss a single stroke, and type quite fast. (btw I use my pinkies for enter/return and shift)

I practiced a lot by copying texts from books, without looking at the keyboard. Trying to get it right, and write and write until I got it right.
Try that... It'll help you find your way around the keyboard, and all the other fingers will eventually find their way naturally

Reactions: 1 person
D

Deleted-236924

Yup, just do something that requires considerable amounts of typing and you will learn in no time.

mrnintendo15

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
...In all honesty typing software is kinda shit. I had to use it up to sixth grade but I learned almost all my typing from playing Runescape all day every day.

But if you want something that's both highly entertaining and good to teach typing, I suggest Typing of the Dead. It's House of the Dead 2... with keyboards instead of lightguns. Fun game for experienced and inexperienced typers.

Although if you're a poor typer you may be getting your ass handed to you a few times.

Other than that, I would suggest just playing something that requires consistent amounts of typing. For me, it was Runescape. Over the years I eventually memorized the keys and now I don't even look at the keyboard when typing and I have a pretty decent words per minute. Even if it's just constantly IM'ing with a friend, it works. I can't say I remember any of the "home row" garbage from elementary school but I can remember chatting to people while fishing sharks for hours on Runescape.
Okay thanks, I'll try that out. It's actually good to see how old that game is because the computer I'm using is rather shit.
I've tried severals in my life, but all of them have been very boring (and very 1990)... I learnt typing just by writing a lot of emails, chatting, and basically just write a lot on the computer. I don't have the correct hand placement like the typists in court have, I really can't use my pinkies like they think you should. However I rarely miss a single stroke, and type quite fast. (btw I use my pinkies for enter/return and shift)

I practiced a lot by copying texts from books, without looking at the keyboard. Trying to get it right, and write and write until I got it right.
Try that... It'll help you find your way around the keyboard, and all the other fingers will eventually find their way naturally
I was shocked when I found out All The right type was from 2005. It looks very 90's. That and a bunch of Mavis Beacon shit was all those crappy computers ha for typing. I'll try typing texts from books once I get a little better, thanks.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

^ This. All I did was play RuneScape all day every day as well, so typing eventually became an everyday, constant routine to the point where I "teach" myself to type. Learning to type was a part of my schedule during elementary school every week, but I wouldn't say typing software is actually "good." If you can actually try to get addicted to something like a MMO game and frequently type or message people, then you'd make typing a habit. My overall conclusion is that practice, in a way, makes perfect.

D

Deleted-236924

Okay thanks, I'll try that out. It's actually good to see how old that game is because the computer I'm using is rather shit.
Eh, I wouldn't count on that.

prowler

Sony
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
All you need is a good keyboard and know how to set your fingers out

Getting a good keyboard will help, so much. It feels so good you don't even understand, of course it has it's downsides, whenever you use a different keyboard it'll be like learning how to type all over again and ask yourself how the person using this keyboard is still living.

RfG6Ym.png

(Just getting a random image from Google here)

Once you've got that out of the way, on a keyboard there is 'home' keys, where you would place your fingers when resting/starting to type. ASDF is where you put your left hand and JKL; is your right, of course this is all dependent if your keyboard is standard QWERTY. You've probably noticed there is something on your J key as well, that's there to help touch typist know where to find themselves on the keyboard again and place their index finger.

It's so weird, I don't know where the letters are exactly are on a keyboard yet I can touch type. With practice you'll have it in no time.

gloweyjoey

who??
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Mario Teaches Typing

If you haven't play Mario Teaches Typing already, go ahead and download it now! Published in 1992 by Interplay Entertainment Corp., Mario Teaches Typing features educational in a typing genre.

A great typing tutorial that is best described as Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing for kids, Mario Teaches Typing is a full-featured typing program that has something for everyone, although kids with no typing experience will get the most from the program-- while enjoying cute antics of Nintendo's popular Mario brothers. After you sign in, you can choose from many activities that suit your level of typing proficiency. If you are a beginner, the game will teach you from the ground up, letter by letter. The interface is one of the best I've seen in this type of program: you will see two cartoony hands at the bottom third the screen, which will flash the finger you should use to press keys when the letter shows up in in the top screen. The top two-thirds of the screen is taken up by attractive graphics, showing Mario (or Luigi or the Princess, whomever you choose) doing his cutesy Mario-things (e.g. knocking blocks, jumping on turtles, etc.) when you press the correct key. Do it right, and you will see Mario advance to the next level, just like in the Super Nintendo version. In addition to many difficulty levels you can choose from, one of the program's best features is the Report Card, which not only displays your accuracy in percentage and your WPM (words per minute) count, but also "problem keys," i.e. keys you have most trouble with. And as if that is not enough, many sentences you will be typing are taken from famous plays, novels, or historical documents, with the source always given at the end. This adds extra educational value to the package, and make you want to come back to it even after you have mastered typing. Overall, Mario Teaches Typing is a very enjoyable typing tutor that no house should be without. Two thumbs up!
Review by HOTUD
Captures and Snapshots

Screenshots used with permission from MobyGames.com

mrnintendo15

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
All you need is a good keyboard and know how to set your fingers out

Getting a good keyboard will help, so much. It feels so good you don't even understand, of course it has it's downsides, whenever you use a different keyboard it'll be like learning how to type all over again and ask yourself how the person using this keyboard is still living.

RfG6Ym.png

(Just getting a random image from Google here)

Once you've got that out of the way, on a keyboard there is 'home' keys, where you would place your fingers when resting/starting to type. ASDF is where you put your left hand and JKL; is your right, of course this is all dependent if your keyboard is standard QWERTY. You've probably noticed there is something on your J key as well, that's there to help touch typist know where to find themselves on the keyboard again and place their index finger.

It's so weird, I don't know where the letters are exactly are on a keyboard yet I can touch type. With practice you'll have it in no time.
I've got a microsoft wireless keyboard 3000.
microsoft_wireless_keyboard_3000.jpg
I've got two problems with it though. 1.The space bar is too sensitive from use. Either the spacebar is shit, or my thumbs are too fat.
2.The keyboard is wavy. (I don't know if this will affect the way I use other keyboards, so it may not be a problem.)
Mario Teaches Typing

If you haven't play Mario Teaches Typing already, go ahead and download it now! Published in 1992 by Interplay Entertainment Corp., Mario Teaches Typing features educational in a typing genre.

A great typing tutorial that is best described as Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing for kids, Mario Teaches Typing is a full-featured typing program that has something for everyone, although kids with no typing experience will get the most from the program-- while enjoying cute antics of Nintendo's popular Mario brothers. After you sign in, you can choose from many activities that suit your level of typing proficiency. If you are a beginner, the game will teach you from the ground up, letter by letter. The interface is one of the best I've seen in this type of program: you will see two cartoony hands at the bottom third the screen, which will flash the finger you should use to press keys when the letter shows up in in the top screen. The top two-thirds of the screen is taken up by attractive graphics, showing Mario (or Luigi or the Princess, whomever you choose) doing his cutesy Mario-things (e.g. knocking blocks, jumping on turtles, etc.) when you press the correct key. Do it right, and you will see Mario advance to the next level, just like in the Super Nintendo version. In addition to many difficulty levels you can choose from, one of the program's best features is the Report Card, which not only displays your accuracy in percentage and your WPM (words per minute) count, but also "problem keys," i.e. keys you have most trouble with. And as if that is not enough, many sentences you will be typing are taken from famous plays, novels, or historical documents, with the source always given at the end. This adds extra educational value to the package, and make you want to come back to it even after you have mastered typing. Overall, Mario Teaches Typing is a very enjoyable typing tutor that no house should be without. Two thumbs up!
Review by HOTUD
Captures and Snapshots

Screenshots used with permission from MobyGames.com

lol, I remember my friend used to have that game. I guess I'll give it a try, too.

Xuphor

I have lied to all of you. I am deeply sorry.
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Typing of the Dead, as the person suggested above. It's the ONLY Typing software that makes you want to type faster.

I still remember when I was in 7th grade, all of the kids in my typing class hated Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing (ugh), so I suggested to the teacher we switch to Typing of the Dead. Due to it's Mature rating, he had to get signed permission forms from all the kids parents, but he did. We switched to that as our main typing software, and all of the kid's typing skills went up very fast.

I cannot recomend Typing of the Dead enough.

Psyfira

Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm using RapidTyping: http://www.rapidtypi...ping-tutor.html . I already know where most of the letters are though and it goes through that bit pretty quickly, so I don't know how good it'd be for a total beginner but give it a try :)

Learning with an app is fine. Trying to practice while working on something you actually need to type is just plain frustrating when you're slow. Even on MSN it's difficult to stick with it when watching the person you're talking with get 3 lines ahead of you. I reckon it'd work after you start to get your speed up a bit, but starting out with an app first isn't a bad thing. Half an hour a day should do it.

I tried to learn typing a few years back on Mavis Beacon 12 but couldn't get on with it; when I hit the end of the alphabet it gave me 3 lessons and if I made a single mistake it'd bump me back to the beginning. On the 6th time around it got really old and I gave up; I know where the letters are, I just need practice keeping track of all of them. I'm glad I'm trying again though, I'm surprised how much I've remembered.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I call the one with big tiddies