Any good reason to keep XCI files around?

Discussion in 'Switch - Backup Loaders & Modchips' started by gene0915, Sep 1, 2018.

1. gene0915
    OP

gene0915 GBAtemp Regular

Apr 6, 2008
    United States
    I've been super banned so I loaded DevMenu and tracked down NSP versions of all the XCI games I had. Now, everything is loaded onto the main Switch screen. At this point, is there a reason I should keep my trimmed and non-trimmed XCI files around?

Down the road, if T-X (or somebody else) perfects game loading from an external USB HDD (for those of us that leave our Switch docked 24/7), I wonder which would be the preferred file format required for USB loading. Or maybe it won't matter? I know, nobody has a crystal ball but that's the only reason I can think of as to why I should maybe hold on to both formats but if I don't need the XCI's, I'd rather delete them since I know they can't be directly installed to the home menu.

MODS: If this fits better in another Switch forums, feel free to move it.

2. tpax

tpax GBAtemp Regular

Nov 16, 2014
    Gambia, The
    NO OATS

3. naddel81

naddel81 GBAtemp Addict

Dec 14, 2009
    United States
    well since we still can't reverse the NSP building process and create XCI files from those, I would keep my XCIs for now.

Moko likes this.
  4. bundat

bundat ¿

Jul 25, 2018
    Antarctica
    NSPs/eShop games can currently only be installed (and ran) by Horizon OS in either internal memory (NAND) or the SD card. So the way I see USB HDD loading would have to work is either:
    • If TX implements it, you can select the USB HDD from the SX OS menu in the Album (probably the simplest and most likely implementation) and just mount any XCI you have there
    • If Homebrew devs implement it, it's most likely Tinfoil supporting installing NSPs stored in the USB HDD (similar to "network install"). You'd still have to install it into NAND or SD card, so you can't just run your entire game library from USB HDD without first making space in your SD and installing a game (if it isn't installed yet).
    • Or Nintendo themselves supports installing eShop games to USB HDD (most unlikely scenario)... I wonder what happens though if you suddenly take your Switch from the dock... maybe the software automatically closes like if you take out a game card.
    I personally prefer the drag and drop convenience of XCIs, because I have more backups than can fit in my SD card. I don't mind going into the Album every time.

SavagePR and nikeymikey like this.
  5. JupiterJesus

JupiterJesus Member

Newcomer
    Jul 14, 2018
    United States
    Oh shit be careful, the XCI fanboys will see your thread and start an XCI vs NSP flame war. Delete before it is too late! Don't say I didn't warn you. This thread has max 5 minutes before devolving into a gbatemp-patented shitshow (TM).

Benjay and porchmonkey like this.
  6. Mr. Wizard

Mr. Wizard Ending the spread of bullshit one thread at a time

Mar 20, 2015
    Canada
    E8 lattice
    I see my XCI as the only true 1:1 unmolested legit backup of my physical carts.

That sounds like something a butthurt fanboy would say. Hahaha!

Last edited by Mr. Wizard, Sep 2, 2018
    The14thfly likes this.
  7. huma_dawii

huma_dawii GBAtemp Psycho!

Apr 3, 2014
    United States
    Planet Earth
    XCI is the most convenient way to have backups.... why? because... you don't have to install a game to play it.. that is priceless...

solitaire4eva and Moko like this.
  8. midstor

midstor GBAtemp Regular

Aug 1, 2018
    United States
    Other than... 30$ SxOS > Other cfw

9. huma_dawii

Apr 3, 2014
    United States
    Planet Earth
    Well yeah, but if you change your mind and think you are actually buying the dongle not the license.. xD

10. midstor

midstor GBAtemp Regular

Aug 1, 2018
    United States
    idk what that means but i bought the license and the R4S dongle. cheaper than the pro afaik

Albytrozz likes this.
  11. huma_dawii

Apr 3, 2014
    United States
    Planet Earth
    Is the RS4 a thing?

12. JellyPerson

JellyPerson https://discord.gg/BMVma8j

Banned
    Jul 26, 2017
    Korea, North
    Pyongyang
    oh shit aren't you just drenching the thread with oil before someone comes and ignites the flame? Fuck off.

If TX comes in the future with USB support that'd be cool. Doubtful tho.

Stone-D likes this.
  13. midstor

midstor GBAtemp Regular

Aug 1, 2018
    United States
    R4S dongle, it's a Nintendo Switch RCM dongle u can load payloads onto its a mod toolkit like the sx pro but no overpriced.

14. huma_dawii

Apr 3, 2014
    United States
    Planet Earth
    I saw something about XCI, does it run XCI?

15. midstor

midstor GBAtemp Regular

Aug 1, 2018
    United States
    sxos is the only CFW that can run XCI afaik, the dongle doesn't have CFW just payload.

16. huma_dawii

Apr 3, 2014
    United States
    Planet Earth
    Then, I don't know why would they say they will keep working on making more XCI games compatible :v

17. midstor

midstor GBAtemp Regular

Aug 1, 2018
    United States
    thats... sxos

18. huma_dawii

Apr 3, 2014
    United States
    Planet Earth
    upload_2018-9-1_22-43-10.

I'm not crazy.

19. Albytrozz

Albytrozz GBAtemp Regular

Jun 10, 2018
    United States
    As soon as I got NSPs working I deleted almost 2TB of XCI to replace them. I only have 2 or 3 left that I couldn't find NSP for. Not only do NSP take up much less space but they have the updates and DLC with them. Haven't looked back...

20. midstor

midstor GBAtemp Regular

Aug 1, 2018
    United States
    They say that because it can run the SX OS. It's mostly marketing BS but they aren't lying.

huma_dawii and Albytrozz like this.