Any efforts on a downgrade exploit?

Discussion in 'PS Vita - Hacking & Homebrew' started by Gamer4647, Oct 14, 2016.

1. Gamer4647
    OP

Gamer4647 GBAtemp Regular

Jul 16, 2016
    This thread was, obviously, made because HENkaku was and is blocked in the latest version, and I'm wondering if anybody is trying to work on a new exploit, like how the Wii U was exploited by an MP4 video injected with code

Mainly curious because I upgraded my PS Vita, and I haven't been keeping an eye on the homebrew scene until recently so I missed all of this

Oscardav20 likes this.
  2. ldeveraux

ldeveraux GBAtemp Regular

Jan 4, 2007
    United States
    Nope

3. solarsaturn9

solarsaturn9 GBAtemp Regular

Oct 29, 2012
    United States
    A quick Google search would reveal that it is not possible and most likely will not be possible for a long time. Please make an effort to be less lazy.

4. VinsCool

VinsCool Insecure

GBAtemp Patron
    VinsCool is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2014
    Canada
    Another World
    So far, nothing was made, nor attempted, according to yifanlu themselve, it's not worth trying other firmwares, for a very long time.

5. gnmmarechal

gnmmarechal Kirigiri > Naoto

GBAtemp Patron
    gnmmarechal is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 13, 2014
    Portugal
    https://gs2012.xyz
    Doubt it. The vast majority of the community around Vita Homebrew had a ton of warning not to go past 3.60, not to mention any new PSV/PSTV comes with less than 3.60 anyway.

6. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    You can't downgrade, no, and as far as I understand it's likely it won't happen at all via any software methods. IIRC, yifan lu concluded a couple years ago that downgrading the Vita would require more than kernel access and would require additional hardware to do so.

7. Chrisssj2

Chrisssj2 GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 12, 2008
    Netherlands
    If u have nothing usefull to say. Don't say anything at all. Hate comments like yours. Google isnt the anwer of everything u know

Sphere likes this.
  8. solarsaturn9

solarsaturn9 GBAtemp Regular

Oct 29, 2012
    United States
    Actually, it literally is

9. Gamer4647
    OP

Jul 16, 2016
    Sony's consoles must be locked down good
    I should have known really since everybody is staying on 3.60, and because the PS3 is the same apart from minor USB mods

Last edited by Gamer4647, Oct 16, 2016
  10. Lucar

Lucar Professional Ferret

Sep 12, 2015
    Canada
    New Donk City
    Doesn't the Vita have E-Fuses on the board to prevent downgrading?

11. Gamer4647
    OP

Jul 16, 2016
    I haven't dismantled my PS Vita, so I wouldn't know
    Also, if I knew, this thread wouldn't even exist

Last edited by Gamer4647, Oct 19, 2016
  12. subcon959

subcon959 teh retro

Dec 24, 2008
    I don't see it happening anytime soon, if ever. Not without some risky hardware modding anyway.

Makes more sense to sell and get a new one while they're still guaranteed to be 3.60 or less.

13. reminon

reminon Member

Newcomer
    Feb 7, 2016
    United States
  14. Autz

Autz GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 18, 2016
    Venezuela
    "No, because is impossible to downgrande which is not possible and will never be possible.".

"It was always possible, just we didn't have enough knowledge until some hobbie-dudes made it possible. INB4 3.8 update"

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

People need to realize 2 simple things:

1.- Nothing is perfect: Even with consoles that we're prompted as unhackable (i'm looking at you PS3) soon got to the CFW bandwagon. Is not easy, but not impossible. The thing here is that the hacking requires some knowledge of what the target console/handheld/frankestein(NS) is capable of, and/or how it works on the first place, which is task-demanding. And lead us to the next point:

2.- Don't get your hopes high: Most of the advancements on hacking we're made by either people who saw an opportunity to make money (Gateway) or by people who sees hacking as a hobby (the rest of mortals). If there's no enough interest on either side then the "homebrew community" of a given console/thing won't grow. Also, people who made those hacks are mostly adults, so is more probable that they want to do something more worthy with they spare-time than rather risking themselves into legal problems.

Last edited by Autz, Oct 22, 2016
    Alex658 likes this.
  15. Condarkness

Condarkness GBAtemp Regular

Nov 9, 2008
    United States
    You should just sell currently one and buy new. Like everyone else said it will have less than 3.60. I bough a new one and it was on 3.30. Also PSTV would be the same I think.

16. Gamer4647
    OP

Jul 16, 2016
    PSTV is the same apart from no camera, microphone or controls stuck on it
    That does mean that some games can't be played, even when you bypass the blacklist (such as Tearaway and Uncharted Golden Abyss)

Also, I never actually get why they don't use the motion control in the official PS3 controllers for the PSTV

Last edited by Gamer4647, Oct 22, 2016
  17. RazorX2014

RazorX2014 GBAtemp Fan

Mar 18, 2014
    the only current method i know of to downgrade would be if you had dumped the vita's nand first.

18. Condarkness

Condarkness GBAtemp Regular

Nov 9, 2008
    United States
    I think its most likely because people playing the ps3 probably didn't care enough about motion controls. I know, because I actually forgot that they even had them. Also apart from a couple of games, it didn't really add a whole lot to the gameplay at least initially. Therefore then it actually got something decent it was already too late, and they moved on.

19. dkabot

dkabot Better With Others' Systems Than Their Own

Sep 9, 2014
    United States
    If there were any sort of trick to downgrade, it's more than most likely it'd require HENkaku to use at all.
    Considering the only real use for old versions is ePSP, and Fl0w is working on that, the amount of time it'd take to get going probably isn't worth it whatsoever.

This assumes there is a way to do it at all, which is pretty slim in itself.

20. Ganoncrotch

Ganoncrotch GBAtemp Regular

Oct 21, 2016
    Do be careful though, if you do in fact go to google there is a site floating around which claims to allow you to downgrade from 3.61 or to install HENKaku on a 3.61 Vita, that site is completely bogus and is just loaded with malware. This is one instance where google is most certainly not your friend and where the stickies on here are!