linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
You know what's really annoying with Linux sometimes? When you want to fix a simple problem but all guides require you to be come a nuclear technician every time!

Timeshift should just be a default application on all distros

Reactions: Kioku

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
I have a PCI capture card that for some reason doesn't work when a new major kernel revision comes out. I have been trying for a couple of years now to try and fix this issue, but have yet to come across any relevant troubleshooting. I gave up and bought a USB capture card.

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Isn't that a problem with all OS? To some extent to all questions: Answers like "RTFM", "Google it!" from condescending people (even on GBAtemp sometimes) on one side and complex manuals that require a lot of prior knowledge on the other side.

I must say though that I disagree with the provocative statement "Linux is only free if your time is worthless!" – or something like that. I want my main computer to "just work". Well: It does. I freshly installed openSUSE when I got the machine 2016 and it is running 24/7 (just not in summer due to excess heat in my room) with not a single crash, not a single problem that required reading on various places.
The only incident was my 10 years+ old smb.conf causing Samba to crash a few weeks ago. Probably some deprecated stuff in there. So I copied+pasted the share definitions into the standard template and now it is up and running again.

Setting up this wasn't easy (full-disk-encryption, LVM, software RAID 5). Since then: No reading stuff, no problems at all. Printer with parallel connector from 1999 → just works. Proprietary NVIDIA drivers → working nicely. Virtualbox → all good. 4k Monitor on Displayport → no need to configure anything. X2GO remote desktop → just works as well… and so on. Compiling small stuff → most dependencies right in package repositories.

At about 2010 I have had trouble with brightness control on laptops being a hit or miss and/or high energy consumption on battery power. Not anymore. Granted, I don't have recent laptops at hand since laptops are more or less toys for me.

Comparing this to my Windows woes.
Example: Removing a DRM driver, which intercepts access to optical drives, resulted in no drives being detected after a reboot. Not in a million years I have had the idea on my own, that drivers can function as "lower filters" or something like this. Having such a driver referenced somewhere in HKCR (if I remember correctly) on top of the optical drive stuff, makes the drives disappear when the (useless) driver is removed from HDD.
If I depended on Windows for everyday usage that would have been a stressful day (was an entertaining day since it is just an XP game machine with an ntfsclone image ready for the worst case)

Latest photos

Group events

Site & Scene News

Group statistics

Members:
Threads:
Photos: