Homebrew Android apps ported to 3DS? (HB/CFW)

WiisleyU

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Is there a way to Android developers port their apps for the 3DS?
Is there a way to "convert" or port existing apps from Android to 3DS?

With the 3DS hack scene going so far, the console expanded its capacities and functions and Android apps could expand it even more. I am not a developer, only a geek and love game consoles with many functions that they could have but never had natively. Thanks!

Magical Sheep

The Super Stylish Cat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think it would depend on the app that's being ported, since Android is more GPU based, and the 3DS has a not so good GPU, some apps wouldn't play nicely on the 3DS. I could be wrong about this, so someone who is more knowledgeable about Android could correct me if I'm wrong. I would like to see some modern Android apps make their way to the 3DS, though I imagine it being a long process.
Apologies if this seems off topic, I'm half asleep, and I should probably not be using a computer right now.

Reactions: Joel16

Pleng

Custom Title
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
The Android development ecosystem is very different to the 3DS. It would, in almost all cases, require a ground-up rewrite rather than a port

chaoskagami

G̷̘̫̍̈́̊̓̈l̴̙͔̞͠i̵̳͊ţ̸̙͇͒̓c̵̬̪̯̥̳͒͌̚h̵̹̭͛̒̊̽̚
Developer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
United States
tl;dr - No.

You might be able to get away with compiling android drivers into the Linux port (binder, ashmem, ion, etc) and running the userland on that, but that is NOT simple to do so, and you'd need to finish the block driver arm9 code in order to be able to use it sanely.

Aside from that, any android apps that run inside windows/linux/whatever are all running in qemu (an emulator/virtualization program) There's a reason nobody has made any kind of chrootable/hybrid userland yet. It's incredibly difficult. What you're suggesting is even HARDER than that.

cracker

Nyah!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To add: Most Android apps are written in Java. It is C++-esque but it would still require much editing to port (every single line). That is why you are getting the answers you are.

Reactions: chaoskagami

chaoskagami

G̷̘̫̍̈́̊̓̈l̴̙͔̞͠i̵̳͊ţ̸̙͇͒̓c̵̬̪̯̥̳͒͌̚h̵̹̭͛̒̊̽̚
Developer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
United States
To add: Most Android apps are written in Java. It is C++-esque but it would still require much editing to port (every single line). That is why you are getting the answers you are.

And that's ONLY if the app we're talking is opensource. If it isn't, you literally would need to run android itself. Porting dalvik/art wouldn't help since you have all the system frameworks to care about.

WiisleyU

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Thanks people, I wasn't here because I was watching E3, but the comments were good! I now know about the limitations and the tries about it!

Link_of_Hyrule

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The hardware and software are completely different. Android apps run on a java virtual machine that the 3DS can't emulate. You'd be better off just making it from scratch in most cases.

Pikm

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there a way to Android developers port their apps for the 3DS?
Is there a way to "convert" or port existing apps from Android to 3DS?

With the 3DS hack scene going so far, the console expanded its capacities and functions and Android apps could expand it even more. I am not a developer, only a geek and love game consoles with many functions that they could have but never had natively. Thanks!
Possible, but not likely, no devs are going to work on it, it wouldn't have android features, and it wouldn't be in a usable state without severe changes and cleanups to the code. For an actual indie dev to port their title to the 3DS it would take a serious rewrite, and if the dev doesn't really put their heart into the port, it would then be easily hacked due to lazy code and taken off the eshop, like Ironfall, Citizens of Earth, VVVVVV, and Freakyforms.

Last edited by Pikm,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Mkay.