And the leader is... Nintendo?

calmwaters

Cat's best friend
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First, I would like to say that there will be two articles you can read instead of one this time. :) Not only were they published a day apart from each other, but the second seems to be an extension of the first one.

So, said stories.

Source 1
Source 2

Basically what these say is that the Wii U has surpassed their 4 million sales mark and is currently leading the industry in sales. He goes on to say that the U has about 200 games on its system. Now I know it's been out a year, but do any of you foresee the Xbone/PS4 each having 200 games on their systems within their first year? I'm including all games, from the indie games to the *rolls eyes* triple A games.

And this might have something to do with the holidays, but then there was also a lot of negative press about how the U was doing. The thing I found surprising is that Nintendo has 200 games on their system. That's... a lot in only one year... isn't it? And I don't think many are shovelware titles, like the ones you found on the Wii.

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
is it 200 real games, or 200 including the virtual console where they slowly rerelease all the games they already released on the wii?

in addition to that, wii u had a headstart of about a year... no idea how many games the others will have, but its unlikely that they wont surpass those sales soon :/

Reactions: TripleSMoon

GamerzHell9137

Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
200 Indie games is a lot of games in a year? Nah
200 AAA games is a lot of games in a year? Yeah, that's a lot.

Most likely PS4 and XBone won't have 200 games in a year (Only if Indies start to like the platform and find that they can cash a lot with them) but will have lot more AAA games than Wii U for sure.

slingblade1170

Trophies
Website
xtremehack.net
XP
Country
United States
First, I would like to say that there will be two articles you can read instead of one this time. :) Not only were they published a day apart from each other, but the second seems to be an extension of the first one.

So, said stories.

Source 1
Source 2

Basically what these say is that the Wii U has surpassed their 4 million sales mark and is currently leading the industry in sales. He goes on to say that the U has about 200 games on its system. Now I know it's been out a year, but do any of you foresee the Xbone/PS4 each having 200 games on their systems within their first year? I'm including all games, from the indie games to the *rolls eyes* triple A games.

And this might have something to do with the holidays, but then there was also a lot of negative press about how the U was doing. The thing I found surprising is that Nintendo has 200 games on their system. That's... a lot in only one year... isn't it? And I don't think many are shovelware titles, like the ones you found on the Wii.

Well, yeah technically you are right. They have the most sells, games etc, but Xbox & PS4 will catch up. Don't get me wrong Nintendo is actually my favorite console maker and I hope they do well and I hope they get out of the rut they are in and stay that way.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Now I know it's been out a year, but do any of you foresee the Xbone/PS4 each having 200 games on their systems within their first year?

Yes.

I don't think this qualifies as news as much as using your own tears as lubricant to furiously masturbate to the thought of a nonexistent Nintendo victory this generation.

calmwaters

Cat's best friend
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
200 Indie games is a lot of games in a year? Nah
200 AAA games is a lot of games in a year? Yeah, that's a lot.

Most likely PS4 and XBone won't have 200 games in a year (Only if Indies start to like the platform and find that they can cash a lot with them) but will have lot more AAA games than Wii U for sure.

I meant they have 200 indie and triple A games. But I wonder how many triple A games are in there. 30? Nah...

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
Currently, the sales to time out ratio is higher for the PS4 and Xbox One than it is for the Wii U. As well, only Nintendo exclusives sell, and most of their exclusives on the Wii U are eshop re-releases. So, no, the Wii U still isn't doing well. I get with the PS4 and One out, there's an inherent need to make it feel like Nintendo isn't still floundering with the Wii U, but there's no need to make them out to be leaders at this point in time.

calmwaters

Cat's best friend
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes.

I don't think this qualifies as news as much as using your own tears as lubricant to furiously masturbate to the thought of a nonexistent Nintendo victory this generation.

I might be a hardcore Nintendo fan, but it's relieving to me that someone has written something good about Nintendo. Consider what we thought of the Xbox One launch. It was good, despite all the opinions we had on this site.
is it 200 real games, or 200 including the virtual console where they slowly rerelease all the games they already released on the wii?

in addition to that, wii u had a headstart of about a year... no idea how many games the others will have, but its unlikely that they wont surpass those sales soon :/

It said 200 physical and digital copies, so that could include the eShop titles.

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Wii U had a headstart, which attributed to lower price, more games in the market, and more user base.

Keep in mind 340% increase in sales means very little, when you started off with low number.

It is too early to tell which console is winning. Give it two years for X1 and PS4 to settled in then we'll see a much clearer picture.

Reactions: calmwaters

Terenigma

Terenigma everywhere
Trophies
XP
Country
The PS4 and X1 will catch up in console sales eventually but this news doesnt suprise me right now, its the cheapest next gen console and It actually has games that look fun to play. There is no denying how good both the X1 and PS4 are as consoles but there is nothing to play on them, both the hyped games for each (Ryse and Killzone) got pretty "meh" reviews and its christmas, familys will want something they can share and play together. The wii-u fits that perfectly, especially with the new mario game that got insane ammounts of advertising.

Go Nintendo tho! Cant wait for MK8 and Smash bros :D

calmwaters

Cat's best friend
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I knew I should've posted my other thread first... :cry: I thought you people liked Nintendo and were concerned with how it was not selling. I think this is a picture of just how pathetic Nintendo fans are. We'll eat up any news that says Nintendo is doing better than its competitors and complain when Microsoft does something right.

p1ngpong

Gamer Professional Deluxe
Supervisor
Trophies
Website
imgur.com
XP
Country
Croatia
The wii-u fits that perfectly, especially with the new mario game that got insane ammounts of advertising.

Mario 3D world sold really badly. It had the lowest week one sales of any 3D Mario game in Japan and in the UK it charted in at 14 with less sales than Knack on the PS4.

Reactions: Tom Bombadildo

FireEmblemGuy

Celebrating a decade of shitposting
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Wii U's already got nearly a dozen first party titles out, which is more than I expect PS4 or maybe even the Xbox One to have in their first year.
- New Super Mario Bros U
- Nintendo Land
- New Super Luigi U
- Pikmin 3
- Wind Waker HD
- Wii Party U
- Wii Fit U
- Wii Sports Club
- Game & Wario
- Super Mario 3D World

Factor in exclusives like Mario & Sonic, ZombiU, The Wonderful 101, and the upcoming Bayonetta 2, as well as more first party titles coming in 2014-2015 like Mario Kart, Donkey Kong Country, Smash Bros, Monolith's new game, and SMTxFE (which is technically only being co-developed by Nintendo/IS), plus functional ports of most current-gen multiplatform games, and there's really no reason the Wii U shouldn't currently be in the lead. Certainly that'll change in the next few years as the PS4 and XBone become the primary development platforms, just as the Wii stopped getting as many ports once PS2 development dried up, but I believe the Wii U lineup, in terms of exclusive software, is just as strong as or even stronger than the PS4 and XBone, at least in terms of full retail games. If Nintendo can work on signing the amount of indie games Sony's been getting they'll have nothing to worry about.

WarMachine77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes.

I don't think saying this is fair to the OP who is trying to present another point of view and just asking a question.

We have to wait and see what each console has to present. Dead Rising 3 for the X1 only runs at 720p, at 30fps, while the Wii U doesn't have any issues of the sort (except for maybe ME3)

Specs are not what drive sales.

I was in a store once with a dude buying a Wii Mini for his kid. The Wii Mini is despised by many (including myself), but like the Wii U, it allowed for backwards compatibility with great first party titles and shovelware alike.

The kid can save up $9.99 to buy something like The Amazing Spider-Man from EB Games, and the parents can reward the kid with a current generation game.

I really think that at the end, third party titles don't matter for any console. Why spend 59.99 on a game that's going to be half the price or less on Steam a few weeks later?

Consoles will never be able to compete with digital distribution platforms like Steam unless it becomes popular to do so.

Speaking of sustainability, the gap in technology is virtually non-existent. Why would you spend $399 or $499 on a console when you can build your own computer?

With all of that that being said, Nintendo has the greatest variety of games that aren't on any other console. PS4 seems like it's going to be about the single player experience while the X1 sets to put itself between the Wii U and PS4 by doing everything, downplaying the fact that they're releasing a PVR console.

Sony can compete with all these IPs they have control of in Japan as well as re-releasing PS2 classics and PS3 titles, so there might be hope for them.

Aside from the common factors, you can't really compare any console to each other in this generation. It's just personal preference.

Reactions: assassinz

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @salazarcosplay yeah cod's still up