An idea... Wii Application on a PC/Mac for testing

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by BillandAlisha, Jul 2, 2009.

1. BillandAlisha
    OP

Member BillandAlisha GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Here is my idea: To test our data to make sure that themes, updates,and/or .wads are indeed good before putting them on to your real Wii.

I would think it would be a simple idea to make an application that can/will accept our NAND backups. (Sort of like Dolphin) but rather then playing games we will be playing with the Wii itself.

I would think this program would be REALLY handy for anyone who does a lot of testing, a total noob (they can practice before doing it on their real Wii), or perhaps coders to mess around with the Wii some more.

Your input?

EDIT: to make things a bit more clear

2. s3phir0th115

Member s3phir0th115 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I think you mean an emulator? And they already do exist in some form, I believe Dolphin has Wii support.

I'm not sure how well it is though right now. I don't know if it emulates enough to make it useful for testing such things yet though.

3. BillandAlisha
    OP

United States
    Yes, exact kind though (We would have to set it up to match our Wii's Or transfer our backup on to the program) . Also on the program would be on computer rather on the Wii. That way if it's "bricked" Simply restart the program.

4. beegee7730

Banned beegee7730 ITS PAAFEKUTO!

United Kingdom
    Dolphin.

5. nagnose

Newcomer nagnose Advanced Member

United States
    i think BillandAlisha means is there a way to make it so dolphin can load the NAND backup of your wii so it is a mirror for testing things

6. m3rox

Member m3rox GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Just email Nintendo. I'm sure they'd be willing to email you their emu.

7. BillandAlisha
    OP

United States
    Yep. Or a program that can load our NAND backup.

8. middeloni

Newcomer middeloni Advanced Member

Netherlands
    yeah, email ninty, Ninty is really nice when you get to know them, just submit their respons over here.

9. fogbank

Member fogbank GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Well Dolphin may support Wii PPC code but I'm pretty sure it doesn't emulate the ARM9 to support IOS. Without that you couldn't test such things.

10. BillandAlisha
    OP

United States
    Sure I'll give them a call....

Done!

Why is there a Police car pulling up in my drive way?

11. wiiman123

Member wiiman123 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

New Zealand
    Dolphin is your answer for game and wiiware emulation on PC, MAC, Linux although it seems pointless, just buy a Wii and the games.

12. Jizmo09

Member Jizmo09 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Dolphin is the answer and here is how you can test System Menu themes with it.

I use Dolphin SVN R 2745

Put your nand dump, the following 8 folders in the Dolphin\User\Wii folder
    The dump includes the following folders from the Wii nand....

import
    meta
    shared1
    shared2
    sys
    ticket
    title
    tmp

when you put those files in place and run dolphin the option "load wii menu" will now be present under the tools menu.

this will load the 00000072.app from the Dolphin\User\Wii\title00000010000002\content folder (for a 4.0 NTSC nand dump)

There is a strict requirement that needs to be followed for this to work properly though.... and that is.......

You need to Yaz0 compress the .ash files for them to load properly. Dolphin doens't like large ash files. So even a large health.ash file will make it crash on load. But if you yaz0enc.exe compress the .ash files then they will load properly. All of the screenshots I did for the softmii themes were done with Dolphin's built in screen capture function. And almost every theme needed it's main files compressed to be able to run in dolphin. health.ash, board.ash, chansel.ash etc......

You can see the examples using dolphin by registering in the softmii.org forums, then going to the website's downloads section and going into the System Menu 4.0 or 3.2 themes section.

The only thing needed to change/test themes then is to replace the 0000007x.app or 0000004x.app file just like on the wii.