1. ArviDroid

OP ArviDroid Infamous GBAtemper

Sweden
    Hello.
    Sometimes when I play a random 3DS game it´ll at some point crash for what´s seems to be no good reason . The lower screen will display the crash info, while the upper screen freezes. Why does this happen? Example of games where it has happened: MGS3, Picross 3D, Pokémon Omega Ruby and Kid Icarus. This happens too often for me to just let it slide. Can this be solved? Thanks in advance.

Fairly new N3DS XL on fw 11.6.0 with Luma 8.1.1 and B9S 1.2

Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
  2. GizmoTheGreen

GizmoTheGreen GBAtemp Advanced Fan

this screen only happens when your 3ds crashes, luma intercepts the default "an error has occured" and you're forced to power off your 3ds to reboot it. to show some more info.

but basically, even if you were unmodded this would still happen. so the cause is likely something else, like corrupted or bad SD card.

3. ArviDroid

Sweden
    Well I have a SDXC Sd card so it might be that? (I used a guide to make it compatible.)

Last edited: Jan 27, 2018
  4. GizmoTheGreen

size shouldnt be related unless you bought it on wish or ebay from china. then it might be fake. as lognas it's fat32 thats fine. you might still want to check it with a tool though. forgot the tools name.

5. ArviDroid

Sweden
    I think my computer messed it up once, but I've formatted it since then. I also re-installed all games after that. The rest of the files are from before.

6. zacchi4k

zacchi4k GBAtemp Maniac

Italy
    Try updating Luma3DS to 9.0

7. PowerBall253

PowerBall253 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    ArviDroid and zacchi4k like this.
  8. Both of these helped my 3DS, but it's basically still unplayable. It crashes more on homebrew than in games but it still crashes pretty badly. Rei-Six CFW fixed it for me.

9. SkillingCat

SkillingCat Advanced Member
    Newcomer

France
    I had this problem a year ago, I was on 11.2 with a9lh I think, and I had made system downgrades for otpless a9lh install, and also installed dsi camera app and took several pics with it, so I thought it might have been one of the two things that caused it to crash. Unfortunately my sdcard was stuck in the console so I couldn't test without it, and I ended up doing the dumbest thing you could do with a9lh, which is trying to re-downgrade nfirm with dgtool, and so I bricked my n3ds XL, that I had to send to a hardmodder in order to reflash my NAND bakcup.. After that I followed the usual a9lh method and hadn't this issue anymore.

So anyway, you should try two things :
    -Try booting and launching this app without your sd card;
    -Ensure you're on the latest firmware and that you don't have a frankenfirmware, with outdated system titles.

Also, did you once install the dsi camera app and took pictures with it ?

Last edited: Jan 28, 2018
  10. ArviDroid

Sweden
    I actually were on 9.0 already. Forgot that there were a newer version than what I wrote.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

I haven't installed anything DS related except what's related to TWLoader. By saying that you had the same problem - are you referring to the camera app? I haven't had that problem, I just borrowed an image with the same crash screen. Since my problem is game-related I can't try them without my sd. By the way, my 3ds is fairly new and went straight to luma and b9s.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Never heard of that cfw...

11. GizmoTheGreen

Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
    Quantumcat likes this.
  12. ArviDroid

Sweden
    Well I don´t think I want to get reinand even if it´s up-to-date. Thanks anyway fellow swede!

EDIT: I retract my statement as long as it guarantees these ErrDisps dissappear!

Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
  13. GizmoTheGreen

no problem! also it's easy enough to try it temporarily to see if it fixes any problems... add it to luma/payloads and hold start on boot and select it (or it'll autoboot if you only have one payload)

Quantumcat likes this.
  14. ArviDroid

Sweden
    I edited my previous post!
    Well if it´s that easy I might as well give it a try. There´s one stage in Picross 3D that has crashed at every attempt to launch it, so I´ll know immedietly if Rei-six works! Thanks to you both for recommending it!

15. THEELEMENTKH

THEELEMENTKH GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Spain
    Wait a minute... you're saying that installing and using DSi Camera on 3DS messes up the camera?
    I say it because I used it months ago and my cameras don't work now
    (Sorry for off-topic)

ArviDroid likes this.
  16. ArviDroid

Sweden
    @GizmoTheGreen @bobdamnit
    Sadly rei-six didn't help. Neither did updating B9S... I guess I'll never be able to play that one Picross 3D stage... :sleep:

17. ArviDroid

Sweden
    I re-installed Picross 3D and now the level plays. This confirms that re-installing gets rid of this problem, temporarily. I've done this with all my games once before and the problems dissappeared then and this only confirms that further. So I'll simply have to re-install a game for it to work fully, after it has become "broken".

Sorry for the late reply.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2018
    VanPhoenix likes this.
  18. ArviDroid

Sweden
    I see that you liked this post @VanPhoenix. Unfortunately my claim on that post was incorrect. The problem was with a chip not being firmly inserted, inside of my 3DS. I had to dissassemble my whole 3DS and push the chip down into place. I haven't had the problem since. However; be careful! I clumsily broke my home button in the process...

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - (ErrDisp), occurred, error