Am I screwed?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Reakt00r, Jul 31, 2009.

Jul 31, 2009

Am I screwed? by Reakt00r at 2:24 AM (1,073 Views / 0 Likes) 10 replies

1. Reakt00r
    OP

Newcomer Reakt00r Member

Netherlands
    This is what happened: I wanted to play the new Monster Hunter Tri game. Since I've played the demo before, I thought I could just do the same as I did before, which is use GeckoOS. In the main menu of GeckoOS I went to "Reboot Options" (or whatever it's called) and I turned on "Region Free", "Skip Logo" and "Recovery Mode" (again, I don't remember the exact names) because I thought that that was what I turned on before. Apparently it wasn't, and I shouldn't have turned on Recovery Mode at all, but I figured that out AFTER I already rebooted. Anyway, when I rebooted the only thing that I could see was my firmware I was on in the lower right corner (which was 3.2E). I waited five minutes, but nothing changed. Eventually, I turned off my Wii and then turned it on. But to my surprise, there was no screen AT ALL. It doesn't output ANYTHING anymore. I have a Samsung SyncMaster monitor with SCART build-in and it says it couldn't find a signal. The Wiimotes can't connect either. The only thing I can still do is remove or insert a disc. I also tried holding Y, because I remembered installing StarFall once, but it didnt' work.

So, am I really screwed and is my Nintendo Wii completely bricked now without any chance of recovery or am I just doing something wrong? ;S

2. oxMUDxo

Member oxMUDxo GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Did you ever install BootMii to Boot 2 or Pre-Loader in case you ever do something silly like this?

If the ansure is 'NO" [​IMG] you might be screwed..

3. Thomas83Lin

Member Thomas83Lin Retro Gamer

United States
    bet money it was updating in the recovery menu, you probably shouldn't have turned off you wii.

4. Reakt00r
    OP

Newcomer Reakt00r Member

Netherlands
    I doubt it... I haven't touched my Wii in ages as the only game on the Wii I was still interested in was Monster Hunter Tri...

But anyway, how come my Nintendo Wii got bricked in the first place? Seems strange that Recovery Mode didn't work either... And would it be better if I just waited when I saw the screen with the system firmware or wouldn't that have made any difference?

EDIT: How could I know it was updating if the only thing it does was saying which firmware I had? [​IMG] That's really lame >:

EDIT2: Also, if I buy a new Wii now, will I be able to hack it? If so, what version will it most likely have? Excuse me for asking this here, but I have no idea where else I can find this information.

5. Thomas83Lin

Member Thomas83Lin Retro Gamer

United States
    If you had Monster hunter in the Wii while you was in the recovery menu which was the screen with the firmware number 3.2 the wii will try to update itself automatically with the disc, if you power down when the wii is doing this, it could result in a brick. but then again i have no idea what firmware update is on that game, so i'm just giving my best guess as to what happend to you.

edit: How can you tell when its doing this, well you kindof can't, but after it updates the firmware number should change at the bottom. or you notice the update after you reboot, I've updated like this before but i let my Wii sit at that screen for about 10-15min before rebooting

6. ether2802

Former Staff ether2802 we have the techno...!!

Mexico
    if you buy a new Wii you can hack it, it will probably come with FW3.4 and the only thing you wont be able to do is to install BootMii as boot2, so you wont have any fallback after such brick like this, still you should've installed BootMii when it came out, I know you aren't checking the updates and new apps for your Wii, but at least once a month read a bit about what's happening, that could save your @$$..!! [​IMG]

7. PettingZoo

Member PettingZoo yesss

Australia
    Sad to hear it man.

8. mar093

Newcomer mar093 Member

United States
    im in the same boat as you, I was going to play a new game on my wii (The Conduit) and it needed an update so I did it and it seemed it froze when it finished so I shut it down and when I turn it on its just no output on my samsung tv.

I was on 3.2U

9. WalkerOfTheDay

Member WalkerOfTheDay GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Netherlands
    You could still install Preloader though. I would recommend this.

10. PettingZoo

Member PettingZoo yesss

Australia
    +1

11. Stokesy

Newcomer Stokesy Member

Australia
    You may be able to use SaveMii if a game with a newer update comes out.
    It will need to be a retail game though, unless you have installed CIOSCorps