Hacking Always power USB ports, even when off ?

guigui

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hello all,

I have a PAL Wii, priiloader 0.6, system menu 4.1E, homebrew channel. I mainly use USBloader GX on it and play a lot of games.
Consequently, I also have a battery charger that needs USB power, which I take from the back USB ports of the wii.

Also, I dont like wifi waves and have chosen to turn wiiconnect24 OFF ; this is a decision, I would not like to change.

However, when I turn my wii off, USB ports at the back are also turned off, so is my USB charger that is plugged on them. This is kind of annoying since my controllers run out of energy very fast when not plugged.

Anyway, my question is simple : is there any way I can get, simultaneously, Wiiconnect24 OFF, system OFF, USB port powered ?

Thanks for any help.

guigui

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Thanks for the fast answer clarky !

I already have one of these, however, would you see how crowded my electric installation is, you would not dare add a single plug to it. Acutally, you would run before it starts to burn. That's why I'm seeking any solution to limit the number of plugged things...

DeadlyFoez

XFlak Fanboy
Banned
Trophies
Website
DeadlyFoez.zzl.org
XP
Country
United States
guigui said:
Hello all,

I have a PAL Wii, priiloader 0.6, system menu 4.1E, homebrew channel. I mainly use USBloader GX on it and play a lot of games.
Consequently, I also have a battery charger that needs USB power, which I take from the back USB ports of the wii.

Also, I dont like wifi waves and have chosen to turn wiiconnect24 OFF ; this is a decision, I would not like to change.

However, when I turn my wii off, USB ports at the back are also turned off, so is my USB charger that is plugged on them. This is kind of annoying since my controllers run out of energy very fast when not plugged.

Anyway, my question is simple : is there any way I can get, simultaneously, Wiiconnect24 OFF, system OFF, USB port powered ?

Thanks for any help.

clarky said:
not that i am aware of...i know it is not the ideal solution but would something like this be a work around? http://www.amazon.co.uk/Adapter-Charger-pl...6561&sr=8-1

QUOTE(guigui @ Aug 25 2011, 05:13 PM)
Thanks for the fast answer clarky !

I already have one of these, however, would you see how crowded my electric installation is, you would not dare add a single plug to it. Acutally, you would run before it starts to burn. That's why I'm seeking any solution to limit the number of plugged things...
No, not unless you do some kind of a hardware hack where you solder an available constant 5v power connection to one or both of the USB ports. I could rather easily, but if you don't have any soldering tools or skills then you are out of luck.

guigui

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Arf, soldering is not my kind of thing indeed. Thanks anyway.

Well, let me try to understand that wiiconnect24 thing. When it is active, the wii always tries to wifi connect the internet in order to check for updates and stuffs, and by the way, keeps its USB ports powered, am I right ?
What bothers me with this solution is the wifi waves, those are not welcome in my house.

Now what happens if I desactivate all internet connections from my wii and activate wiiconnect24 ? Will it still send waves ?

guigui

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
guigui said:
Now what happens if I desactivate all internet connections from my wii and activate wiiconnect24 ? Will it still send waves ?

Well I have my answer : if I desactivate all internet connections, I can not activate wiiconnect 24. Interesting eh ?

Fat D

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
What? You are afraid of microwaves? I thought that foolishness was so last decade. Just get a tinfoil hat and leave WiFi on. There are other reasons to disable WC24 though, the chipset rons far hotter with the cooling still off, causingpotential overheating problems.
What about using USB power from your PC, though? Or maybe trying to use a wired connection with a cheap USB LAN adapter?

DeadlyFoez

XFlak Fanboy
Banned
Trophies
Website
DeadlyFoez.zzl.org
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, seriously, get a tinfoil hat (which has proven to actually increase wave strength and that a brass screen hat would be better).

But I do agree about not wanting to use wiiconnect24 because it has been said (not proven) that it causes shit to overheat and burn out. I still got to test it myself to prove people right or wrong.

AdamBrunt

Trophies
XP
Country
There are wiimote chargers which work by 'piggy backing' onto the Wii's power cable rather than via the USB port and they work even when the Wii is in standby (orange light).

They also mean you're not possibly wasting one of the USB slots with the charging unit.

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
DeadlyFoez said:
Yeah, seriously, get a tinfoil hat (which has proven to actually increase wave strength and that a brass screen hat would be better).

But I do agree about not wanting to use wiiconnect24 because it has been said (not proven) that it causes shit to overheat and burn out. I still got to test it myself to prove people right or wrong.

The arm is running at 100% in that mode, while the fan is off. And that's consuming 10 Watts of power opposed to 20 Watts while playing. Don't you trust the fan to get more than 10 Watts of heat away?

burritoboy9984

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
guigui said:
guigui said:

Well I have my answer : if I desactivate all internet connections, I can not activate wiiconnect 24. Interesting eh ?

There was a bug I noticed before that if you enable wiiconnect24 (obviously you have to enter a connection first), then delete the connection, wiiconnect24 will still be enabled... Give it a try...

-Erik

guigui

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
AdamBrunt said:
There are wiimote chargers which work by 'piggy backing' onto the Wii's power cable rather than via the USB port and they work even when the Wii is in standby (orange light).

They also mean you're not possibly wasting one of the USB slots with the charging unit.

This solution is interesting. Do those even work when the wii is off (red light) ?
Also, do you know where I can get those ?

tueidj

I R Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
WiiPower said:
The arm is running at 100% in that mode, while the fan is off. And that's consuming 10 Watts of power opposed to 20 Watts while playing. Don't you trust the fan to get more than 10 Watts of heat away?
Most cellphones have ARM CPUs (in some cases they're even dual core), how many of them have you seen with internal fans?

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
tueidj said:
WiiPower said:
Most cellphones have ARM CPUs (in some cases they're even dual core), how many of them have you seen with internal fans?

My problem is not that it's an arm, my problem is the 10 Watts. Enable the mode, wait and then feel how warm the Wii becomes.

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
tueidj said:
Not very warm at all?
My Wii gets REALLY warm with WiiConnect24. It's one of the launch models, so the issue might've been fixed in one of the later revisions.

But seriously, I turned it off after something like a month. It bothered me too much, and all those stories about GPU artifacts derived from it didn't help.

Fat D

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
guigui said:
AdamBrunt said:

This solution is interesting. Do those even work when the wii is off (red light) ?
Also, do you know where I can get those ?
Where do you think the Wii switches off? In the console or in the power supply. It is in the console, and anything "upstream" from the console, that is to say, closer to the outlet than the console itself, is still powered. Including any piggy-backs between console and PSU.

obcd

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I have a big ben induction charger that works that way as well. (It gets it's power from the wii supply power plug.)
It has the advantage that you don't need to remove the rubber protection from the remotes every time they need charging.

guigui

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
burritoboy9984 said:
guigui said:
guigui said:

There was a bug I noticed before that if you enable wiiconnect24 (obviously you have to enter a connection first), then delete the connection, wiiconnect24 will still be enabled... Give it a try...

-Erik

Hey Erik,

Thanks for the advice. The bug is still present on my system. I did :
-enter a valid connection.
-activate Wiiconnect24
-make the connection invalid by changing the SSID name

Now, when my system is powered off, I get the orange light and powered USB ports. Now am I sure that my system does not always try to connect the internet and does not spend those 10 watts you guys talked about earlier ?

tueidj

I R Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Uh, that sounds like it will still be trying but just won't be able to find the access point it's looking for. BTW, did you know your wifi router is constantly sending out "waves" even when nothing is using it?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Slower speeds for gen4
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll reformat and have a 3tb raid0 m. 2 at least
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lmao that sold out fast
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeet the cat.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Good idea
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    i thought everybody knew cocktails are like 75% ice
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeah but not like this.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not like they're complaining that their Slurpee is 99% ice or something, but if the cocktail calls for "shot of vodka, shot of vermouth, shot of gin, shot of Campari, three shots of juice, squirt of lemon" and ends up being a thimbleful of booze, that's a problem.
    the funny thing is cocktails in norway are only allowed to have 1 20ml shot of booze
    so..... yeah
    we're used to only having a thimbleful of booze
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Booo.
    same thing if you want whisky on the rocks or something, you can't get a double
    but you could buy as many shots of whisky (or anything else) as you want and ask for a glass of ice and pour them in
    it's dumb
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Maybe.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There was a comparison of the number of Ibuprofen poisonings before and after they limited the maximum dosage per box or per pill (i'll look that up). No limit on the number of boxes you can still buy as many as you want, so people argued it was pointless.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    But the number of (accidental) poisonings dropped because drinking an entire package of ibuprofen pills went from "I need a new liver" to "I need a new box of Ibuprofen".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Here we have ketoprofen that used to be prescription-only because of the risk of toxic dosages, but then they halved the dose per pill and sell them in bottles of six pills apiece instead of twenty and it doesn't need a prescription any more. Yes you can buy more than one bottle but people simply don't.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Usually accidentally overdose of ibuprofen here is from people taking like cold medicine then ibuprofen for a headache and the combination is over what they need
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hp24nDVKvY