Gaming Alternate Reality Games (ARG) on NDS?

Patchouli

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Are there any games on the Nintendo DS that simulate the experience of playing an Alternate Reality game, like with similar puzzles and branches and stuff, only on the DS? I suppose something like a mystery game with clever puzzles, and investigation.. that isn't too short? I played Safe Cracker and it was pretty horrible. I havn't given Phoenix Wright a try, because it seems like thats more.. talking.. than investigating. I could be wrong.

Your opinions?

If you don't know what an ARG is please feel free to youtube Perplex City, or unfiction.com.

thedicemaster

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
perhaps you could try time hollow.
in the game you have to check places all over "town" (you get a 2D map, from where you can enter an "area" which is a sort of 2d panoramic view of a room/street where you can check stuff/people by tapping them)
when you have enough clues regarding certain events you can open a hole in time, and change something in the past to completely change the present(opening up new mysteries)

another one is "another code: 2 memories"(trace memory for the US release)
which is 3D viewed mostly from the top.
here you not only have to find clues, but also solve some actual puzzles(not as in figuring out events, but real puzzles presented as puzzles)
stuff like placing objects in a certain order opening up secret doors.

both aren't really long, but are worth it.

phoenix wright isn't really like what you want i think.
it's first finding some clues, and then enter a wacky discussion with another attorney, a judge, and crazy witnesses, to figure out who committed a crime(or who didn't).
but you should still give it a try, certainly a lot of content available in the PW series.

Patchouli

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'l definately check out Time Hollow. Sounds interesting. Trace Memory wasn't really what I was looking for. I played it, beat it and loved it though. A little -too- simple and not very involved. Anyone else have any recommendations?
smile.gif

Patchouli

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Update: Played and beat Time Hollow. Totally recommend it. Post credits gave me chills. Sill taking recommendations

Exbaddude

The Prince.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
^ You beat time hollow in a day?! Amazing.

Try Professor Layton. It's short though. I beat it in 9 hours?

EDIT: Try Curious Village before Diabolical/Pandora's Box!

dysan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Greece
how about lux pain?
I don't have the faintest idea of what it's about...it was on the recomended videos from the time hollow trailer in youtube lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INz1AF55PEw...feature=related

the trailers at least look pretty similar...should have a good amount of storytelling.downloading it now
also thanks for time hollow...seems interesting and I'm gonna try it out as well lol

evening

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
dysan said:
how about lux pain?
I don't have the faintest idea of what it's about...it was on the recomended videos from the time hollow trailer in youtube lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INz1AF55PEw...feature=related

the trailers at least look pretty similar...should have a good amount of storytelling.downloading it now
also thanks for time hollow...seems interesting and I'm gonna try it out as well lol

Watch out for Lux Pain. It has a good story and would be a decent game if the company that localized it could have gotten their crap together and made an effort. The text has tons of errors, what is printed on the screen does not actually match what the character is saying in-game. It could have been an amazing game if the editors and translators, even QA could have agreed on at least the spelling of the characters names.

Also you can try Theresia, Dear Emile. It's pretty creepy, has a decent story, actually 2 stories, but it does have the pixel hunting problem. Sometimes it's hard to see what you're supposed to click on with the stylus. Also it's interesting that you need to find elixirs to heal because you can take damage in the game.

Patchouli

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Professor Layton isn't my style of game. It's more solve millions of puzzles that have nothing to do with anything for no reason than this puzzle pertains to the story and you need to figure it out to get a new piece of the puzzle kid of deal.. I think that this has turned into a "Recommend me point and click adventure games" because I don't think there is anything resembling an ARG on the Nintendo DS sadly.

TimeHollow is a 10/10 for me.
Lux Pain is pending review.
Hotel Dusk: 215 is pending review but based on visuals I don't think I will like it.
Theresia looks REALLY horrible.. I don't think I can bring myself to play it. The gameplay.. looks.. sooo bad.

I thought about it aswell and I'm going to give Phoenix Wright a go after Lux and Hotel.

ForteGospel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Patchouli said:
Professor Layton isn't my style of game. It's more solve millions of puzzles that have nothing to do with anything for no reason than this puzzle pertains to the story and you need to figure it out to get a new piece of the puzzle kid of deal.. I think that this has turned into a "Recommend me point and click adventure games" because I don't think there is anything resembling an ARG on the Nintendo DS sadly.

TimeHollow is a 10/10 for me.
Lux Pain is pending review.
Hotel Dusk: 215 is pending review but based on visuals I don't think I will like it.
Theresia looks REALLY horrible.. I don't think I can bring myself to play it. The gameplay.. looks.. sooo bad.

I thought about it aswell and I'm going to give Phoenix Wright a go after Lux and Hotel.

hotel dusk is a must... you like games like a friend of mine and i really hate those... i can tell you i hated hotel dusk so much... you will actually love it

Inpression

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
evening said:
Watch out for Lux Pain. It has a good story and would be a decent game if the company that localized it could have gotten their crap together and made an effort. The text has tons of errors, what is printed on the screen does not actually match what the character is saying in-game. It could have been an amazing game if the editors and translators, even QA could have agreed on at least the spelling of the characters names.

The EU version of Lux Pain has most of the typos fixed, I thought it had a great story and good writing too, it was just let down by some poor choices in game progression.

CamulaHikari

Kami Kurai
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Netherlands
Maybe try Again? It's from the makes of Hotel Dusk. I haven't had time yet to play it myself, but it does look interesting, it seems like you have to compare places from the past (crime scene?) and from the time you're in.

And have fun with Lux-Pain! I really liked the game and it's one of my favorite stories. In the beginning I hated it that what they say isn't the same as the text and I thought the voice acting was quite bad, so undubbing is recommended (those voices I did like!)~! Just a tip: try out both the normal and good end, cause both endings are good~!

EDIT:
+1 for Lone Wolf, wish they would port more.

Also if you just want a good story, (yes I know it isn't ARG), you could take a look at vnds, it's a homebrew that can play visual novels, quite a few good ones have been ported already. (Tsukihime, FSN) If you don't like VN's (or maybe played them on the pc already) then just ignore this xD

Patchouli

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thanks guys. I changed out Phoenix Wright. I like it so far. It's very fun. Lux Pain was pretty okay so far.. but It isnt very fun. It has a nice story and so far all I've done is play scratch ticket games to find wisps.

I downloaded both Lone Wolf games. I'l get to them soon. I like Visual Novels but I havnt been able to get the home brew working. I use them for art practice. Hotel Dusk is looking pretty bad so far.. too hit or miss for m but I'm only moments into it so maybe it will get better.

POWDER is most DEFINATELY not what I'm looking for. I don't like Nethack type games.

I appreciate bringing up Broken Sword, although I don't particularilly enjoy the old western art-style of it.. and that interferes a lot with the enjoymeny for me thus making is unplayable. Runaway 2-3 suffer from the same problem.. and So Blonde.. I should smack you for suggesting that.
tongue.gif

Thanks guys! Keep 'em coming.
smile.gif

Edit: Again DS looks like it would be fun. Thanks for that suggestion too!

Edit 2: Lone Wolf isnt something I'm interested in either. Thanks for the suggestion though
smile.gif

CamulaHikari

Kami Kurai
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Netherlands
You could also look here: http://vsrecommendedgames.wikia.com/wiki/Nintendo_DS
They give quite a few good recommeded games. Because of that I have about 15 more games on my Acekard now xD

And yes, VNDS can be troublesome sometimes. Just yesterday I was playing FSN and suddenly I didn't hear the voices anymore, I put it on my pc to fix it, but when I put it back I somehow missed bits of the script. It took me the whole of today to get the game running again (downloaded everything again and followed someones steps. Now I can finally finish it~!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Those IHOP chips are actually pretty damn good