Hacking All the G6 features without the U-Disk Manager

Sweater Fish Del

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Except that it's not a USB problem since I have the exact same symptoms when I try to write to my hard drive. I've actually never had any USB compatibility issues with this computer running Windows 98SE.

However, yeah, I guess it is 98SE causing the problem, but in some other way.

I tried using the M3 Card Manager and that creates patchres the games just fine, but they don't work in the G6? Should they be cross compatible or am I barking up the wrong tree?

It's very annoying that these different companies manufacturing flash carts have all gone to different proprietary patching formats so that you're forced to use their software and be dependent on them for everything. It's a regular bee in my bonnet.

...word is bondage...

tama_mog

Kupo
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
You're definitely " barking up the wrong tree," the m3 patching works totally different as the differnces in g6 and m3 hardware implementation differ vastly.

Zap

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't think you should worry about patching the roms, yet. Your problem is how to get the manager working first. Patching the roms affects its usability/performance on the card running in the DS.

It appears that the U-disk manager doesn't support windows 98.

We can eliminate the possible problem regarding the G6 being properly connected/recognized since the U-Disk manager can't even write to the harddrive using its algorithm to begin with.

As you have also realized, the drag and drop "feature" as advertised on the G6 box is crap. From my experience, it doesn't work at all.(for the few roms I tried dragging and dropping)

Your best bet at this point is to find a windows XP machine and try it on. I'm sure you shouldn't have a problem finding a windows xp machine from freinds to use.

Regarding the soft reset, I enjoy this feature a lot. I can't say how annoyed I was to have to hard shut the system just to swap to another game. It takes slightly more time than soft resetting. I have yet to experience any problem through soft resetting, so I can't see why you want it to go through the health warning and so on.(assuming soft reset doesn't do this already.)

Sweater Fish Del

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As you have also realized, the drag and drop "feature" as advertised on the G6 box is crap. From my experience, it doesn't work at all.(for the few roms I tried dragging and dropping)
Actually, what I've found is that drag and drop works perfectly for all the homebrew and emulators (except stuff that requires reading and writing to the FAT, which I don't think will work even if it's loaded through the U-Disk Manager) and also most of the commercial ROMs I've tried. Only two DS ROMs that I tried won't load, Mario & Luigi and Kirby Canvas Curse. The other 9 or 10 commercial games I put on there via drag & drop loaded just fine once I ran them through NDSPATCH.EXE, though New Rainbow Island can't save so you can only play the endless mode, not story mode. That's actually pretty good compatibility, I think. Both games that didn't work were first party and from my N64 pirating experience I know that Nintendo's first party games are usually the hardest to deal with, needing the most patching and such, but there doesn't seem to be any game specific patches available for DS stuff, just the generic NDSPATCH and LOADME programs. Those first party Nintendo games also usually happen to be the games that are most worth buying legit copies of anyway, so it's not a big deal.

QUOTEYour best bet at this point is to find a windows XP machine and try it on. I'm sure you shouldn't have a problem finding a windows xp machine from freinds to use.
Like I said, I have a hard drive with XP on it, but putting it in my laptop just to load two or three games seems like too much work. I got a Supercard the other day, so I'll have to try out their software and see if it works for me, if it does, I'll just use the Supercard for any problem ROMs that I really want to play even though the Supercard (at least the regular SD version that I bought) isn't nearly as pretty in a DS Lite as the G6.

...word is bondage...

Lazycus

Rotten
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I can confirm outphase's claims on this, I always found that not being able to get write zip files containing more than the .nds files to be quite a pain in the @$$....it's something the u-disk manager should of addressed a long time ago.....so I'm not sure what you're doing that's magical....maybe you'd like to share with us how you got it to work that way?

I'm not doing anything magical that I know of. I'm running the latest UDisk manager on a very vanilla PC with WinXP Pro and USB 1.1 but I think all the versions of UDisk manager have unzipped properly for me. I always let the UDisk install software completely remove the previous version. Don't know why it works for me and not the two of you. Surely I'm not the only one who it works for?

Lazycus

Rotten
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I think I figured this one out. You can have multiple files in a zip but unless the .nds file is first it won't be found properly by the UDisk Manager software and will immediately pop up the "Write OK" message without actually doing anything. So as was suggested in the other posts extract the .nds, or zip it by itself, or zip it with other files but place it first in the archive.

Mchart

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I think I figured this one out. You can have multiple files in a zip but unless the .nds file is first it won't be found properly by the UDisk Manager software and will immediately pop up the "Write OK" message without actually doing anything. So as was suggested in the other posts extract the .nds, or zip it by itself, or zip it with other files but place it first in the archive.

He allready said his stuff was not in zip files.

L

lastdual

QUOTE said:
...and at the bottom it says that I have 1720.00GBytes of total space on my G6 cart (I wish!).

Might the problem be the flashcart rather than the loader?

Lazycus

Rotten
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I think I figured this one out.  You can have multiple files in a zip but unless the .nds file is first it won't be found properly by the UDisk Manager software and will immediately pop up the "Write OK" message without actually doing anything.  So as was suggested in the other posts extract the .nds, or zip it by itself, or zip it with other files but place it first in the archive.

He allready said his stuff was not in zip files.

Perhaps I should have quoted the relevant text in my previous message. I was discussing the UDisk software 'glitch' it has with finding .nds roms within zip files unless they are first in the archive. Outphase and tama_mog were discussing that within this thread. This was in answer to that discussion, not the original posters question. Sorry if you were confused.

Sweater Fish Del

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
...and at the bottom it says that I have 1720.00GBytes of total space on my G6 cart (I wish!).

Might the problem be the flashcart rather than the loader?
It says the same thing (1720.00GBytes of total space) even when I select my hard drive as the place to write to, so I don't think it's cart related. Also someone else with Windows 98 is experienceing the same problem in another thread, so it's obviously a 98 incompatibility. I sent an e-mail to the G6 people, but I doubt they'll even remove 98 from the list of compatible systems, let alone actually fixing the problem.

...word is bondage...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • mthrnite @ mthrnite:
    i do have the marshal mathers record tho, it's good stuff
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I was listening to the Ice T Iceberg CD other day, good stuff
  • mthrnite @ mthrnite:
    i concur
  • mthrnite @ mthrnite:
    power is my fave tho, masterpiece
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Still waiting on that new ll album
  • mthrnite @ mthrnite:
    steve miller band got me into rock from folk and country
  • mthrnite @ mthrnite:
    fly like an eagle
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You guys ever heard of group out of detroit called "Top Authority"? They were good too.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Guess this is the power of genres they make you talk about other artists
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    What are you guys talking about?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Hamsters
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    People that do drugs
  • mthrnite @ mthrnite:
    I been listening to a f-ton of jrock and jpop lately
  • mthrnite @ mthrnite:
    mainly a lot of go!go! and cibo matto
  • mthrnite @ mthrnite:
    and old ass prog like atomic rooster and gentle giant
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Yawn
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Lil' hamster yawn
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, Big hamster yawn
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Stop stealing his sayings
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yawn
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, svebe
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Sometimes when I poop I just think that's it?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    The worst is when its a dry poop, then you spend 20 minutes and ha!f a roll of TP wiping. Its like wiping TP over a magic marker, just won't stop showing.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, or diarrhea
    +1
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BigOnYa, or diarrhea +1