WiiUBricker

News Police
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
I can't decide between the two. They cost almost the same and have the same specs:

- Intel Core i7-4710HQ 2.5 GHz
- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980M 4GB GDDR5
- 8GB RAM
- 15.6 inch 16:9, 1920x1080 display

RandomUser

Rosalina in Plush Form
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Those are Clevo based laptop as well as Sager is also Clevo. So no matter which one you choose or where you are getting it from, for instant, Alienware is from Dell, you are still getting a Clevo laptop. Dell didn't make the computer, Clevo did, Dell just put the necessary hardware in it to run, like CPU. I personally think you should consider getting one with a 17" screen, but that is my opinion. I do have an old clevo 17" laptop D900K and the screen is wonderful, and at the time was very powerful. So either one, you most likely cannot go wrong, however since Dell has been around for almost forever, you can be sure they should help you with the Alienware if the needs arise, like warranty for example.

Kyohack

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
pokecheats.net
XP
Country
United States
I just googled that XMG hardware, and I noticed it has a 4k screen. Those are really great in gaming laptops, and I recently saw a demo of a 4k Razor brand laptop at a nearby Microsoft store. 4k televisions are one thing, but when you can squeeze that much pixel density into a laptop screen, you can really start to appreciate image crispness.

On the contrary, your Dell is going to have much better battery life because it sports a 92 watt hour battery versus your XMG 60 watt hour battery. This means the difference between it lasting a few hours versus lasting almost the whole day, so depending on how much time you spend away from home, your Dell might be the only option. I picked up an original Microsoft Surface Pro when they were released, and they were extremely lacking in battery life. The advertised 4 or 5 hours really only felt like 3 hours in real world usage. That's just me, though.

The sound card and wifi chipset look great on both systems. I thought I'd check that just in case, since some manufacturers might skimp in those areas.

If it were me, I'd trust Dell with my money rather than other smaller gaming brands (such as Razor, Origin, Eagle, etc). I know I probably have a slightly biased opinion here, but I think Dell being a bigger company means they have more money to spend on engineering. Things like shell design, fan placement, etc are a VERY important aspect for any piece of electronics if you want it to last. (I know people hate specific companies because they bought X product in the past and had a bad experience, but all bias aside, I do think Dell would generally be the best answer in this case, if we're just comparing brands.)

TLDR: go for your longer battery and a (maybe?) more trustworthy manufacturer, or go for your sweet, sweet 4k screen. Both systems look good to me.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
get a surface pro
its cheaper and capable of running games @ ULTRA
yeah an intel hd 4400 definitely walks all over a gtx980
sm7-facepalm.gif

Reactions: Margen67 and migles

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
4K in laptops? That'd put me off, at least with the current generation of graphics. Supposedly AMD's next line are supposed to properly compete with nVidia in the high end 4K arms race, so maybe with a bit of competition they'll actually be able to achieve decent framerates at 4K. Waiting to see what that's like before I consider any further upgrades.

As for Dell, well Dell are notorious for using the cheapest parts obtainable for their mass produced lines. On the other hand, Alienware has the reputation for being overpriced and overhyped. Then again, I never did actually look into their warranty and service reviews. I would presume that you'd get good reliability for your money, but... actually, I better not say any more until I've actually done my research on this.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
I can vouch for Alienwares ineptitude >.> I've yet to see any Alienware anything that wasn't overpriced, and they I swear they use some of the cheapest parts around, especially for their cooling systems. Not sure about their warranty services, but I can say for sure that you should stay away from Alienware anything.

Not entirely sure on XMG stuff, I can't say I've actually heard about them myself, nor have I seen one.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: sure, it can be hands free