Alas, Smashhack has failed me!

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by ArugulaZ, Dec 19, 2016.

1. ArugulaZ
    OP

ArugulaZ GBAtemp Fan

Sep 17, 2009
    United States
    So, I put the Smash Bros. Brawl hack on my Wii U so I could play homebrew on the Wii half of the system. It worked pretty well for a while, but recently I went back to the system and discovered that it's gotten a lot more temperamental. Stack/DSI errors are frequent, locking up the machine and forcing me to unplug it to regain control. From what I can tell, the Wii U works perfectly fine, and I haven't had any problems with official Wii apps and discs (although it's been a while since I've used those... maybe I'd better check and make sure). It's just the Homebrew Channel and its apps that have been giving me fits.

What would you suggest as a fix? Should I run the Smash Bros. hack on the system again? What other options are available to me? I appreciate any help you can provide!

2. invdrzim

invdrzim Member

Newcomer
    May 6, 2016
    United States
    Have you tried using a different SD Card/HDD to hold your files?

Just spit balling here, as that's the first place I'd check considering it all worked well for you in the past (it could be either of those things could crap out over time).

3. pietempgba

pietempgba GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 9, 2016
    United States
    Just use wuphax

Coc4tm likes this.
  4. sj33

sj33 GBAtemp Addict

Oct 22, 2013
    Japan
    Is there actually a functional difference between the different hax in terms of stability? I assumed they were just different entry points to the same fundimental exploit.

Kappcy likes this.
  5. depaul

depaul GBAtemp Regular

May 21, 2014
    France
    Why would you need smash hax when wuphax is available? Just use it it is a newer method and it is the best one imho.

6. Exavold

Exavold GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 9, 2015
    France
    I'm guessing that he followed the sticked guide (if it hasn't been updated).

7. Irastris

Irastris Just another fag with a suggestive avatar

May 3, 2015
    United States
    As @sj33 pointed out, using wuphax would not make a difference. It's the same HackMii exploit through different entry points.

As for what could be causing all of your hardlocks, that's rather difficult to tell from simply the OP post. I'd recommend running sysCheck and then sharing the generated log here, perhaps that could clear up some things for us.

8. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    Just making sure, you're not using any 3rd party controllers are you? They're known to cause these kinds of issues.

9. ArugulaZ
    OP

ArugulaZ GBAtemp Fan

Sep 17, 2009
    United States
    Nope, it's an official Wiimote.

10. Kafluke

Kafluke GBAtemp Psycho!

May 6, 2006
    United States
    I'd try a different sd.

11. Deboog

Deboog GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 22, 2013
    United States
    Do you have the Homebrew Browser on your SD card?

12. ArugulaZ
    OP

ArugulaZ GBAtemp Fan

Sep 17, 2009
    United States
    I think so. That crashes too. :(
    I could try a different SD card. Would I have to use a standard SD or is SDHC okay?

Wait, did you say Homebrew Browser or Homebrew Channel? I have both. The channel does work, of course, although it did crash a couple of times recently. Homebrew Browser doesn't work well at all.

Last edited by ArugulaZ, Dec 20, 2016
  13. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    No 3rd party attachments either? My dad has some classic controller clones that cause this exact issue.