Hacking Ak2 or dstt

lurbi

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Lelouch said:
I'm thinking about getting an ak2 now, what do you guys think about it? I'm scared of getting a fake dstt so looking at this one now

I personally would not buy the DSTT or TTDS.

AK2 has much better GUI + AKAIO firmware.
YSMENU runs on both AK2 and DSTT.

So for me the decision between AK2 (yeah!!) and DSTT is clear.

But for a few bucks more you get the supercard DS 1.
(26 dollar including slow shipping from dealextreme.com)
SC DS1 can run its own GUI (*VERY* powerfull, but slow) but also the DSTT menu (which I find pathetic!) and YSMENU (great but ugly)
search for the bliss tripple loader

Lelouch

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
lurbi said:
Lelouch said:
I'm thinking about getting an ak2 now, what do you guys think about it? I'm scared of getting a fake dstt so looking at this one now

I personally would not buy the DSTT or TTDS.

AK2 has much better GUI + AKAIO firmware.
YSMENU runs on both AK2 and DSTT.

So for me the decision between AK2 (yeah!!) and DSTT is clear.

But for a few bucks more you get the supercard DS 1.
(26 dollar including slow shipping from dealextreme.com)
SC DS1 can run its own GUI (*VERY* powerfull, but slow) but also the DSTT menu (which I find pathetic!) and YSMENU (great but ugly)
search for the bliss tripple loader

I'll take a look at the supercard also, thank you for your advice sir!! appreciate it

I've never owned a cart before so I know almost nothing about them -.- need to learn once I get mine

QUOTE(Maikel Steneker @ Sep 15 2008, 08:59 PM)
The AceKard 2 is a great choice, but you might want to pay a little bit more for carts that are quite a bit better.

thanks, which one would you suggest?

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
A lot of people prefer the Acekard 2 over the SCDS1, so it's a matter of what you're looking for.

The interface on the SCDS1 is a bit difficult to use and slow (which is why some people run the DSTT firmware on it via the triple loader), but the SCDS1 does have a lot of extra features (in particular real time save). If having real time save is more important to you than a fast and elegant interface, the SCDS1 is your cart.

Either one is better than the DSTT.

By the way, if you're concerned about a fake DSTT getting destroyed by the "fake-killer" firmware, it is possible that running a future "fake-killer" version of the DSTT firmware via the triple loader might destroy the SCDS1.

-Bri

Lelouch

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Bri said:
A lot of people prefer the Acekard 2 over the SCDS1, so it's a matter of what you're looking for.

The interface on the SCDS1 is a bit difficult to use and slow (which is why some people run the DSTT firmware on it via the triple loader), but the SCDS1 does have a lot of extra features (in particular real time save). If having real time save is more important to you than a fast and elegant interface, the SCDS1 is your cart.

Either one is better than the DSTT.

By the way, if you're concerned about a fake DSTT getting destroyed by the "fake-killer" firmware, it is possible that running a future "fake-killer" version of the DSTT firmware via the triple loader might destroy the SCDS1.

-Bri

this is really all confusing to me hah.. so sad I don't even know what firmware means.

anyway from the sound of it, acekard is the best option for the price im looking to pay and what ill use it for

edit: besides play roms/emulators what else can I do with my ds?

BurlyEd

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I would not buy another AK2 because of its incredibly shoddy build quality.
The bundled all-plastic USB adapter would only function as USB 1.1.
The all plastic AK2 case is held together by tiny plastic clips.
My M3Real, with the same kind of clips, fell apart in my hands within a week.

I would be afraid to buy another DSTT now, only because DX and even DealWoot have reportedly been shipping inferior and possibly dangerous counterfeits.

I would (and did) buy an EDGE! It is my favorite.
I also have a SCDS1 (too weird for me unless you "tripple" boot) and a Cyclo (great, but not worth twice the price of an EDGE).

grog.gif
lecture.gif

Lelouch

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
BurlyEd said:

I would be afraid to buy another DSTT now, only because DX and even DealWoot have reportedly been shipping inferior and possibly dangerous counterfeits.

I also have a SCDS1 (too weird for me unless you "tripple" boot) and a Cyclo (great, but not worth twice the price of an EDGE).

grog.gif
lecture.gif

omg lol

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.10919

so is this one (EDGE) better than the AK2? what's the difference?

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
BurlyEd said:

grog.gif
lecture.gif
Have you actually had an Ak2 yourself? Sure the build quality isn't the best available but it won't break unless you're really trying to break it. Most of the time it would be in your DS protected against most damages. It's not like your going to eject it, throw it on the floor and stamp on it.
"The bundled all-plastic USB adapter" is USB 2.0 compatible and works just as fast as my Kingston Mobilite 9-in-1.

I've got to say that both Scds1 and Ak2 are very good in different ways. It all depends on what you really want out of a flashcart. Scds1 has some very nice features, but a sluggish GUI while Ak2 has good features and a really nice GUI which is very fast. Something that also is worth mentioning is that AKAIO ( a custom firmware) is available for Ak2 and adds some more nice features and tweaks.

Lelouch

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Minox_IX said:
BurlyEd said:

grog.gif
lecture.gif
Have you actually had an Ak2 yourself? Sure the build quality isn't the best available but it won't break unless you're really trying to break it. Most of the time it would be in your DS protected against most damages. It's not like your going to eject it and throw it on the floor and stamp on it.
"The bundled all-plastic USB adapter" is USB 2.0 compatible and works just as fast as my Kingston Mobilite 9-in-1.

I've got to say that both Scds1 and Ak2 are very good in different ways. It all depends on what you really want out of a flashcart. Scds1 has some very nice features, but a sluggish GUI while Ak2 has good features and a really nice GUI which is very fast. Something that also is worth mentioning is that AKAIO ( a custom firmware) is available for Ak2 and adds some nice features and tweaks.

haha awesome xD

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Lelouch said:
this is really all confusing to me hah.. so sad I don't even know what firmware means.

In my opinion if you don't know what firmware means, you would do better with the Acekard 2 or Edge over the SCDS1. Both the Acekard 2 and Edge are easy to use. The Edge is physically a little more "sturdy" than the Acekard 2, but the Acekard 2 has a much nicer menu.

QUOTE said:
anyway from the sound of it, acekard is the best option for the price im looking to pay and what ill use it for

I agree. Although not as sturdy as other carts, that's only because it's held together with plastic clips instead of glued or screwed shut. It's not going to fall apart or anything. Even if it did, you could always glue it shut and it would be fine.

Browse the web, listen to music, watch videos, draw pictures, compose music...

-Bri

BurlyEd

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I would HIGHLY recommend that you read PharaohsVizier's flashcard reviews at:
QUOTE said:
before deciding.

I think these are the best reviews available, because they try to help you decide which is the best flashcard for YOU.

There are many people who like SCDS1. I have one and I do NOT like it.
It is top quality and has impressive features, but it is more complicated than I prefer.
I mostly play RPGs with cheats, some of which I hack myself.
I do not want to read several pages of info about setup, powerful features and hot keys.
I just want to update all of Narin's very latest cheats plus my hacks on my card and get back to the game as easy and quick as possible.
I like themes, and I want soft reset to ALWAYS work, and I like to see the entire name of every cheat and the entire cheat description.
I don't want to have to remember to run Drivesort on the TF card every time I add a new game.
I can do some of that on SC, but only if I "Tripple" boot it, which makes it functionally identical to a $12 DSTT!
But just because I prefer EDGE to SCDS1 that only shows my preferences.
It does not mean that SCDS1 is not the perfect card for someone else.

I still do not understand how anyone can be proud of any card with shiddy clips!

But That is me - you are YOU, and you have probably have different preferences than whoever makes the next post.
I think we are all trying to help you see the advantages of OUR personal favorite, but every popular card has its fans.
Mine is EDGE - for now. Your mileage may vary.

grog.gif
lecture.gif

Lelouch

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Bri said:
Lelouch said:

In my opinion if you don't know what firmware means, you would do better with the Acekard 2 or Edge over the SCDS1. Both the Acekard 2 and Edge are easy to use. The Edge is physically a little more "sturdy" than the Acekard 2, but the Acekard 2 has a much nicer menu.

QUOTE said:

I agree. Although not as sturdy as other carts, that's only because it's held together with plastic clips instead of glued or screwed shut. It's not going to fall apart or anything. Even if it did, you could always glue it shut and it would be fine.

Browse the web, listen to music, watch videos, draw pictures, compose music...

-Bri

ahh nothing id really use then, ipod for music, internet for well the internet lol

also what do you mean by it has a much nicer menu?

Lelouch

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
BurlyEd said:
I would HIGHLY recommend that you read PharaohsVizier's flashcard reviews at:
QUOTE said:
before deciding.

I think these are the best reviews available, because they try to help you decide which is the best flashcard for YOU.

There are many people who like SCDS1. I have one and I do NOT like it.
It is top quality and has impressive features, but it is more complicated than I prefer.
I mostly play RPGs with cheats, some of which I hack myself.
I do not want to read several pages of info about setup, powerful features and hot keys.
I just want to update all of Narin's very latest cheats plus my hacks on my card and get back to the game as easy and quick as possible.
I like themes, and I want soft reset to ALWAYS work, and I like to see the entire name of every cheat and the entire cheat description.
I don't want to have to remember to run Drivesort on the TF card every time I add a new game.
I can do some of that on SC, but only if I "Tripple" boot it, which makes it functionally identical to a $12 DSTT!
But just because I prefer EDGE to SCDS1 that only shows my preferences.
It does not mean that SCDS1 is not the perfect card for someone else.

I still do not understand how anyone can be proud of any card with shiddy clips!

But That is me - you are YOU, and you have probably have different preferences than whoever makes the next post.
I think we are all trying to help you see the advantages of OUR personal favorite, but every popular card has its fans.
Mine is EDGE - for now. Your mileage may vary.

grog.gif
lecture.gif

sweet thank you, I'll check out that site

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
BurlyEd said:

Great post! For me, the Acekard 2's menu is more important than the fact that it's held together with plastic clips, which I really don't see as a big deal.

QUOTE(Lelouch @ Sep 15 2008, 07:06 PM) also what do you mean by it has a much nicer menu?

The Acekard 2 has one of the most elegant, most responsive, and most customizable menu system of any flash cart. Acekard has also provided the source code for the menu to Normmatt and Smiths who have created an even better menu called AIO that has all the advantages of the official menu but many more features.

Take a look at this site and you'll see the wide variety of skins for it: http://skin.acekard.com

You can also take a look some of the the reviews on the Internet to get an idea of how it works.

-Bri

lurbi

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Lelouch said:
so is this one (EDGE) better than the AK2? what's the difference?

better is very relative. It depends on what you want.
The best is to read the reviews on gbatemp.net

ak2, scds1, cyclo and edge are all OK.

I personally would prefer the AK2 (especially with AKAIO custom firmware) to the EDGE.
But this is a personal decision, read the reviews and judge for yourself.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    It would be funny to pick up a girl in a real expensive car, then next date show up in a piece o shit car just to see her reaction. If she was real, it wouldn't matter.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Everyone is disposable and replaceable, lies and deception are the coin of the realm. I have never felt so alone and so at odds with the world.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I don't think we should see others as disposable just if they can show any glimps of care about humanity should be forgiven
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, she would leave you inmediately
    +1
    For a time I considered creating a new big bang. Wipe the slate clean and start from scratch....
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Your closest friend probably talks negative about you the most
    +1
    I know I talk shit about that Ken guy constantly lol
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah I just had to consile it's a age thing and I can get erect
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Right.. Take a number
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BigOnYa, Binkinator is still around you guys. I just saw him in one of the Discord servers that I'm in.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    People get more mad when they learn you aren't as dimwitted as they think
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, that guy who was dissappeared?
    My favorite thing about that Ken, if they talk bad about others to you. They doing it to you too.
    Always remember that
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    More or less then they drop you and blame you when you find out
    Well taking responsibility for their own actions would mean doing work and self reflection lol easier to just be a pile of crap rolling down hill
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, I dont mean to be rude but what was so important about them?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, He truly shared his great knowledge about Switch modding.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    People miss him because he used to be active a lot.
    +1
    I modified a switch in a bathroom one time by wiping poop on it... Lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Been noticing it more these days alot has to do with coperation attitude manipulation people work in it so long they think it's a good way to live
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    And he/she used to do any/every mod to the Switch, just to learn and teach others as well. A true Switch genius.
    +1
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: And he/she used to do any/every mod to the Switch, just to learn and teach others as well. A... +1