AGS-101 - contrast adjustment?

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by britain4, Sep 20, 2018.

1. britain4
    OP

britain4 GBAtemp Regular

Jun 16, 2014
    Sheffield
    I have an AGS-101 GBA SP I’ve just bought hoping for it to be an upgrade over my AGS-001. I suppose technically it is better but I must be in a tiny minority of people who actually really dislikes the way the screen looks. The contrast is way overblown and possibly as a consequence, it appears noisy and overly sharp, and generally like when you see a cheap TV with the contrast and sharpness turned up to the max.

I can’t find any evidence it’s been opened or messed with so this must be as it was intended but I’m not really a fan.... I can’t find any info on this but does anyone know if an AGS-101 has any kind of contrast adjustment pot like the GBA that I could use to tone it down a bit?

2. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo G'nome

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    The SP has a potentiometer as well, IIRC it's right beneath the battery sits. Should be a little gold adjuster screw that's just right there. You'll need to pull the battery, adjust it, put the battery back in to check, and repeat until you get the picture you want. A bit annoying, but I don't believe you can power the SP without a battery present.

3. britain4
    OP

britain4 GBAtemp Regular

Jun 16, 2014
    Sheffield
    Awesome stuff, thank you for that!! Will take a few goes to get it 100% but it’s 100 times better already. Wonder if it’s how it came from the factory or if someone’s messed with it in the past?

The SP wont start up with a battery in but I (accidentally) discovered that if you take the battery out after powering it up it will stay on so that you can adjust the contrast.