• Thread starter Deleted_171835
  • Start date
  • Views 2,683
  • Replies 25
D

Deleted_171835

OP
10x0915ioubn24efec.jpg
The future of humanity is assured. Assuredly doomed, that is. That blur you see up above is one of our familiar foes, the GRASP Lab's autonomous quadrocopter, flying through a thrown hoop without the assistance of a human director. Yes, it's downright insane that we're allowing this so-called research to continue our descent toward the robot uprising -- where's the FBI, the CIA, hell, why is DARPA sleeping on this thing? The lethal precision of these quadrotor helis doesn't end there, however, as they've now been enhanced with the ability to recover from "extreme" starting conditions. In simpler terms that just means you can toss one up into the air and it'll right itself into a steady hovering position. From where it can strike upon the unsuspecting and complacent humanoid populace. [/p]

icon11.gif
Source

This is freaky stuff!

Canonbeat234

Redeemed Temper
Trophies
XP
Country
Lawlz this amazing and terrorist can put deadly gas inside them and attack us thinking its a toy heli...wait...

Forstride

The rudder moves when I turn the wheel
Trophies
Website
forstride.stormbit.net
XP
Country
United States
*Sees title* Oh...Awesome!
*Sees where it's being developed* OH SHIT THAT'S CLOSE!

I live in PA, and they're being developed at the University of Pennsylvania...The location of the place is in Philadelphia though, and I live in Pittsburgh...Well, I know what states going first when/if a fullscale model is developed and/if something goes wrong.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
...yeah, we're doomed. Remember how we used to think we could outrun or outmaneuver or hide from the robotic drones sent to anally probe us? You know how in movies you can hide by ducking somewhere the killbots can't follow? Well these things fit anywhere your chubby ass can fit. It's like a electronic death bee.

[insert "horrible vengeance for making them jump through hoops" joke here]

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Veho said:
...yeah, we're doomed. Remember how we used to think we could outrun or outmaneuver or hide from the robotic drones sent to anally probe us? You know how in movies you can hide by ducking somewhere the killbots can't follow? Well these things fit anywhere your chubby ass can fit. It's like a electronic death bee.

[insert "horrible vengeance for making them jump through hoops" joke here]
I thought you said "fit in your chubby ass".

:Vomit:

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Slyakin said:
I thought you said "fit in your chubby ass".
You're just projecting your sunbonscious desires.

On a more serious note, I can't wait for a a) human-sized, and b) bee-sized version.

*drools

D

Deleted User

OP
It definitely looks awesome, but somehow I want to hit this thing with a crowbar.

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK, so I'm assuming this thing has got some kind of AI-assisted manual control, right? Or is it just that you have such phenomenal control over it that you can fly it through hoops? I mean, it's not supposed to be completely autonomous or anything, is it? The video is kinda vague on these points. They talk about trajectories, but not how they collaborate with manual control to gain these abilities.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
It's fully autonomous, and given a target (and, optionally, a set of checkpoints) it can calculate and follow an optimum trajectory and reach the target completely on its own, avoiding obstacles and compensating for outside interference like wind (or fly swatters). You tell it where to go, it gets there. In remote control mode, the AI stabilizes the drone, making it easier to operate.

The thrown hoop thing is slightly different. You tell the drone to fly through the hoop. Given the signal, the drone "looks" around, identifies the hoop, and flies through it, all by itself, and faster than any human controller could.

metamaster said:
That is amazing. I'm sure that after the military has fully exploited this, it will be an expensive kids toy.

It's already been announced

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Also the wood ui for twl menu is back... +2