ADVICE PLEASE - POLL YOUR ADVICE

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by Catch22, Nov 27, 2013.

?

SHOULD I PICKUP UP A BLACK FRIDAY ..

Poll closed Nov 28, 2013.
  1. 3DS XL + FREE ZELDA FIRMWEAR 6+

59.3%
  2. 3DS XL COPYRIGHT 2012 (FIRMWEAR 4.5)

40.7%
  1. Catch22
    OP

Catch22 Member

Newcomer
    Nov 27, 2013
    Canada
    Hey guys, You opinion matters to me. I plan on picking up a 3ds XL and find myself with struggling with the "best" console for me.

I understand that if you pickup an older "copyright 2012" you get the 4.5 firm wear and can use the gateway to play some older games.

With the black Friday deals I might be able to get the new Zelda in the package for 150 the internet rumors and I can wait till boxing day even if its not, but I guess the point is..

The only games I really want to play are the Top sellers Fire Emblem, Zelda and Pokémon, so I could get them all for around 250$ But I am interested in playing the DS original Zelda and fire emblem titles.

I would hate to miss out on the gateway, I guess the gateway is like 80 bucks and you need SD cards, so like 150ish extra, is it worth it?

With the Gateway can you still play retail carts, or does the games make you upgrade to the new firmware, like is it one or the other?

2. blaisedinsd

blaisedinsd GBAtemp Maniac

Dec 6, 2012
    United States
    You mean the 3DS Zelda and Fire emblem titles right? If you mean DS than you don't need gateway to play those, cheaper DS carts will work.

I personally do not think the gateway flash cart is worth it. Are newer games already forcing firmware upgrades that will disable the Gateway?

3. james50a

james50a Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 4, 2010
    Canada
    Yes its worth. it. Guy above me seems to be a bit slow when it comes to gateway news. gateway will be getting firmware spoofing so it will be able to run all those games. hopefully they will also be getting multi rom support so the sd card will then only set you back 15$ish for a 32gb one. Asuming your not stupid enough to buy a gateway and other retail carts then its an obvous choice. if however you want to buy retail cartsthen would probably be a good idea to stop thinking about pirateing in general.

4. TwilightWarrior

TwilightWarrior GBATEMP'S Official Boss

Jun 3, 2013
    Canada
    In front of my 3DS
    Definitely get the gateway 3ds, they just released a video lately playing zelda: a link ...... on their card with their new firmware, they have to release it still

5. UltraMew

UltraMew GBATemp's Mew PRETENDING TO BE FOXI4 4 A DAY

Banned
    Aug 7, 2013
    United States
    Flying a blue hedgehog around
    Get the actual rare Zelda XL, don't be a lazy pirate.
    lolwut so many typing errors

6. TwilightWarrior

TwilightWarrior GBATEMP'S Official Boss

Jun 3, 2013
    Canada
    In front of my 3DS

Lol.. what are you talking about

7. blinkzane

blinkzane Panic at your moms house

Jul 24, 2012
    United States
    Florida
    stay legal.

peace.

8. Catch22
    OP

Catch22 Member

Newcomer
    Nov 27, 2013
    Canada
    I now see I am not the only one struggling with this, with a 50/50 vote its right down the middle, if anyone else has thoughts or incite, It is welcome or perhaps there are other hidden gems within the 3DS library that might make the choice go in another direction; Am I wrong in thinking that the only Grade A titles are Fire Emblem , Zelda and Pokémon games, that owners of the gateway setup probably have not even tried yet? I understand both angles and owning the gateway is an "almost" unlimited resource that I would hate to miss if they never did find a way to use on newer firmware, I missed out on that on PS3 and it sounds like it a very similar situation. So far TwilightWarrior, You seem to have the most sound advise the just sit and wait game seems to be the only choice I can make.. and it is driving me crazy...sometimes when I am sleeping I hear the great fairy song in my head..

9. EyeZ

EyeZ GBAtemp Addict

Dec 4, 2009
    I went with the legal option solely because i've just purchased it & it's a smart piece of kit.

10. cateater1

cateater1 GBAtemp Regular

Nov 26, 2010
    cheshire
    For what its worth i contemplated going legit so i can use the eshop mainly and also as 2nd hand games are pretty reasonable on ebay. I was thinking by the time i've bought a gateway+ 32gb microsd (cmon multirom!) i could have bought 4 or so 2nd hand titles. and been upto date to play zelda and the like.

Still i haven't done this, i felt the lure of the flashcard. R4, Acekard 2i, and the wonderful Dstwo have all passed through my hands at some point. Hopefully soon so will a Gateway (or a close relative of one)

11. Catch22
    OP

Catch22 Member

Newcomer
    Nov 27, 2013
    Canada
    I had not even thought of the store. Anything cool on the store?

12. cateater1

cateater1 GBAtemp Regular

Nov 26, 2010
    cheshire
    plenty, demos, virtual console stuff, digital copies of games (although there still mostly overpriced imho)

13. UltraMew

UltraMew GBATemp's Mew PRETENDING TO BE FOXI4 4 A DAY

Banned
    Aug 7, 2013
    United States
    Flying a blue hedgehog around
    Yes, most retail games and other cool classic games, and more.