adding the SDL library to my project

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by Gagler, Sep 11, 2018.

1. Gagler
    OP

Gagler Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 16, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Hi I have been trying to add the SDL library my project but I haven't been having any luck. I am trying to install the SDL 1.2 library ported by @nop90 (can't post the hyperlink since I'm a new user but you should be able to find it). I have tried to run 'makeall' as instructed to by the creator but that didn't work. I am using windows as well if that is a problem for installing the library. could someone give me a step by step guide on how to install it?

2. MrHuu

MrHuu GBAtemp Regular

Sep 19, 2015
    Netherlands
    Try to use 'pacman' provided by the DevkitPro team, to install the SDL libs.

https://devkitpro.org/wiki/devkitPro_pacman

For windows they provide an installer with a customized msys2 install, pre-setup with the correct packages.

EDIT:
    I'd like to add. With 'pacman' setup correctly, adding SDL is as easy as:

dkp-pacman -S 3ds-SDL

Last edited by MrHuu, Sep 11, 2018
  3. Gagler
    OP

Gagler Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 16, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Thanks alot! I take it the packman is for linux. Sorry to follow up on the question but i just wasn't able to get devkitpro working on linux (i'm on ubuntu by the way). I'm just not sure what to do with the .deb package. How would I do that if you don't mind me asking?

Last edited by Gagler, Sep 12, 2018
  4. MrHuu

MrHuu GBAtemp Regular

Sep 19, 2015
    Netherlands
    Pacman has it's origin with arch linux. But the DevkitPro team made it available for most platforms they support. They have just swithed to using pacman, so some problems may occur.
    Personally, i'm running Ubuntu 16.04 LTS in virtualbox for windows.

On Ubuntu, I was able to install the devkitpro-pacman.deb with:
    Code:
    sudo apt install ./devkitpro-pacman.deb

Install basic 3ds tools
    Code:
    dkp-pacman -S 3ds-dev

Install SDL 1.2 for 3ds
    Code:
    dkp-pacman -S 3ds-sdl
    dkp-pacman -S 3ds-sdl_image
    dkp-pacman -S 3ds-sdl_mixer

This will also install all required dependencies.

To list all other available packages, use:
    Code:
    dkp-pacman -Sl

Last edited by MrHuu, Sep 12, 2018
  5. Gagler
    OP

Gagler Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 16, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Thank you so much!! I've been having trouble with this for a few months and all I had to do was ask. It's great to have people like you in this community with such expertise. I've also noticed a considerably better compilation time for the source on linux which is an added bonus! Thanks again!