Hardware Adapter (power supply) with a decently durable cable

AyanamiRei

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hello, after around three years of playing on a 2/3DS, I am about to "exhaust" yet another adapter, the fifth ! (three Nintendo, two others) I always end up with the same issue: the cable cuts itself (in the inside) and fixing it (cut, re-attach, shortening the cable in the process) only push it for a few more weeks until a new cut arrives. And the one about to become unusable as only lasted for three months (and was almost always put straight and near the plug while recharging in order to prevent the threads to distort too much).

So I was wondering if anyone had a brand or model of power supply who seemed better than others.
Or maybe advices for treating the next one better (if I don't).

Should I simply store the most Nintendo (3)DS adapters I can? ^^"

PS: living in France, so I'm talking about non-US/JP domestic plugs.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello, after around three years of playing on a 2/3DS, I am about to "exhaust" yet another adapter, the fifth ! (three Nintendo, two others) I always end up with the same issue: the cable cuts itself (in the inside) and fixing it (cut, re-attach, shortening the cable in the process) only push it for a few more weeks until a new cut arrives. And the one about to become unusable as only lasted for three months (and was almost always put straight and near the plug while recharging in order to prevent the threads to distort too much).

So I was wondering if anyone had a brand or model of power supply who seemed better than others.

• If you're good with soldering, you can buy a braided USB cable and swap the wire section onto the 3DS adapter.
  • Similar, you can buy heatshrink nylon braiding and implant it onto the 3DS charger cable.
https://www.amazon.fr/Inch-Expandable-Braided-Sleeving-10ft/dp/B00H2R9YWY

• Even easier, use an micro-B to 3DS adapter + braided USB cable without modifying anything.
https://www.amazon.fr/micro-B-Adapter-Charger-Converter-new3DS-XL/dp/B00VDPUXCQ/
https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Braided-Tangle-Free-Gold-Plated-Connectors/dp/B00SUX3XQC (couldn't find French equivalent)

Reactions: AyanamiRei

AyanamiRei

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
@TurdPooCharger The first solution is to trade the thin sheath for a nylon braids one or to switch the plugs of a braided USB cable for the plugs of the 3DS cable ? I'm so bad at manual work I'll leave that to other persons. ^^"

The second solution seems interesting (unless the adapter plugs are weakening easily). Does micro-B means micro-USB ? (never saw this appellation in France)

I presume those braided cables are tougher and protect the inside filaments from folds & cuts better?

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@TurdPooCharger The first solution is to trade the thin sheath for a nylon braids one or to switch the plugs of a braided USB cable for the plugs of the 3DS cable ? I'm so bad at manual work I'll leave that to other persons. ^^"

The second solution seems interesting (unless the adapter plugs are weakening easily). Does micro-B means micro-USB ? (never saw this appellation in France)

I presume those braided cables are tougher and protect the inside filaments from folds & cuts better?

@d0k3, damn you do 3ds charging cables too!? :P

@AyanamiRei, the last post was 3 ideas of saving you the headache of busted cables. Each of them weren't ideal because it required modifying an existing cable or resorting to a micro B to 3DS charger adapter.

I found something that suits your need without messing with anything. The braided cables will not tear when tugged or rolled over with your computer chair.

https://www.amazon.com/GodMode-Upgraded-Charging-Nintendo-Handheld/dp/B00UCP1IYA/

51yGuukRLXL._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg

AyanamiRei

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
@TurdPooCharger Thank you, again. This looks pretty good !
If it wasn't for the transport fees (that double the price), I would have ordered it immediately. I'll try to find an equivalent here before purchasing this one.

Reactions: TurdPooCharger
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Reactions: AyanamiRei

starburst

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
I found something that suits your need without messing with anything. The braided cables will not tear when tugged or rolled over with your computer chair.

https://www.amazon.com/GodMode-Upgraded-Charging-Nintendo-Handheld/dp/B00UCP1IYA/

That woven mesh is great. I got mine from Amazon UK and have been using it for over a year now; it works flawlessly.
Note that I play with my N3DS various hours per week and it is always plugged in, thus this cable has been extensively tested. ;)

Grab the three metres one, so that you can play comfortably while charging.

Last edited by starburst,

AyanamiRei

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
@starburst I tried switching on a local amazon (french and united kingdom) but get only cables for Sony consoles as a result, so I went for the strangely cheap chinese product. ^^"

d0k3

3DS Homebrew Legend
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
@d0k3, damn you do 3ds charging cables too!? :P

@AyanamiRei, the last post was 3 ideas of saving you the headache of busted cables. Each of them weren't ideal because it required modifying an existing cable or resorting to a micro B to 3DS charger adapter.

Thanks, had a good laugh :D.

chirogan

The Engineer
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
a quick advice. Never put a loose cable in your bag, this is usually happening with the contents of your bag continously moving and stretching your cable. If you place it on your bag, enclose it with a hard case or pouch to avoid tangling or stretching. Ive saved dozens of headphones, chargers or other cables in my bag and ive never had a single nonworking cables since i did that

OblivionReign

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Whaaaat you need to treat em better o: my cable has lasted for 9 years (my dsi cable ive been using on all my 3ds models)

AyanamiRei

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Never put a loose cable in your bag

My cables actually never leave the house. XD When I went to the city, I took the 3DS adapter with me in a dedicated pocket and used the metal thread delivered with it to keep the cable together.

@SkyQueen I would gladly do that ! I can't even see what I do wrong... I do not let them hang anywhere, I do not fold them to keep them in narrow boxes or whatever (unlike the N64 and Dreamcast), Etc.

Peanut_BR

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil

Attachments

• 15280483155546265703979734223797.jpg
    15280483155546265703979734223797.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 206

AyanamiRei

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Back to find the references and buy one again...

Whaaaat you need to treat em better o: my cable has lasted for 9 years (my dsi cable ive been using on all my 3ds models)
I don't even move them around.

That braided one has been put on a plane surface (bed), with a (very light) elbow in order to have room for it and the only other point wich had to be "folded" was obviously near the adapter and plugs themselves because of the position of the plug and form of the adapter (impossible to do otherwise unless you have a perfectly placed plug at the right level and all). And after a month of showing exhaustion (it has just reached 4 years of use last week), it is now agonising.
I guessed where the cut is (as expected near the adapter end) and had to forcefully fold the cable and clip it in place so that it can't budge of a mm.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Firefox users be like "look at what they have to do to mimic a fraction of our power."