Activision Accuses EA Of Delaying CoD Map Pack

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Livin in a box, Jan 21, 2011.

1. Livin in a box
    OP

Member Livin in a box Livin' in a cardboard box

United Kingdom
    [​IMG]
    Activision has accused EA of asking Vince Zampella to delay the release of the Modern Warfare 2 Stimulus Package in order to maximise sales of rival FPS Battlefield: Bad Company 2, naming the rival publisher as a co-defendant in the ongoing Zampella/West case.

The claim is part of the ongoing suit between Activision and Vince Zampella and Jason West, centred around alleged impropriety during the dismissal of the ex-Infinity Ward bosses by Activision, and their subsequent formation of Respawn entertainment, a studio which EA has signed up to a publishing deal.

In this latest twist, Activision has submitted mails to the court which it claims show evidence of a direct collaboration between EA executives and Zampella, resulting in a delay to the release of the Stimulus Package until after Bad Company 2 was on shop shelves.

Zampella and West had previously tried to block Activision's efforts to involve EA in the case, claiming the delays were damaging their livelihoods.

The court documents, as obtained by Gamasutra, feature a message from Lincoln Hershberger, EA's senior director of global marketing, to EA executives Jeff Karp, Sean Decker, Patrick Soderlund and Frank Gibeau. Also copied in to the mail was Battlefield executive producer, Karl-Magnuss Troedsson.

"A couple months ago, I asked Vince to hold back their map pack until after we launched (he owes me one). Given that they've already made a billion, he was cool with that, obviously Kotick took it as being belligerent," the mail allegedly reads.

Bad Company 2 was released on 2 March, 2010 and the Stimulus Package was available for download on 30 March. The news of Zampella and West's sacking was made public on 3 March, the day that the mail was apparently sent.

EA maintains that the exchange was merely a light-hearted joke, and does not indicate any wrongdoing. In a statement to press, EA's Jeff Brown accused Activision of reading too much into it.

"This was obviously sarcasm," Brown told Gamasutra. "It's clear from the email this was a joke and they never spoke. We explained this to lawyers at Activision - who apparently don't have much of a sense of humor."

Activision's lawyers are certainly focusing on the serious side. The cross complaint is part of a $400 million lawsuit which accuses EA of "unlawful conduct" at "the highest levels", claiming that "to interfere with Activision's contracts by extricating West and Zampella and gutting Infinity Ward, Electronic Arts worked to subvert the Call of Duty franchise from the inside out." The case continues.[/p]
    So apparently, a letter was sent out as a joke by EA about holding back the Modern Warfare 2 Map Pack. Activision have of course gotten ahold of this and now putting it out to courts. If it is true, then I suppose Acitivision have a right to do what they're doing but if not then it's just them grasping at whatever opportunity they can to get something fresh into their lawsuit. I just don't know.

2. ShadowSoldier

Member ShadowSoldier GBAtemp Guru

Canada
    Why is it that Activision is always trying to start shit with EA? Brutal Legend, now this whole fiasco. Seriously, do you see any other company going after companies, no. Everybody minds their own business [pun not intended] and goes about their day. Activision needs to stop being pricks.

Also, I'm curious, if this was a joke, what are they suing for? Like even if they did delay the release, so what. Unless we know that there was an agreement "you have to release it on this day", then this whole thing is moot, and Activision deserves to be counter-sued.

God dammit I hate Activision and I really wish people would stop supporting them.

3. Nujui

Member Nujui I need something to do.

United States
    I don't understand why they would do this. I don't see why they would sue for delaying the map pack. Seems sort of stupid too me.

4. gokujr1000

Member gokujr1000 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Australia
    Activision doesn't even deserve to be running the Call of Duty series and this shows why.

The thing is that by suing EA over this "joke email" by delaying a map pack for a game which was going to die out November that year shows how money hungry they were for the CoD series and it also shows that they hate EA's guts.

Lets face it Activision doesn't care about any video game franchise they own it's all about Money. I agree with ShadowSoldier on this one I also wish people would stop supporting them. This is why I'm not buying the next CoD game.

5. CarbonX13

Member CarbonX13 GBAtemp 台灣人

Taiwan
    They're really just grasping for straws now over all of this.

6. Raiser

Member Raiser I am mad scientist.

Canada
    Activision is completely fucked up.

They aren't taking any excuses about the "joke e-mail". They'll take any chance available to mess up the opposition.

7. Sterling

Member Sterling GBAtemp's Silver Hero

United States
    I'm not buying the next Call of Duty, I'm going to pirate it. Instead, I'll start playing Battlefield more. Moneyvision will pay to suck my dick before I buy another Call of Duty.

8. Edgedancer

Member Edgedancer Director of Moon based operations

Australia
    You think Activision couldn't sink any lower and then they manage to achieve the impossible. I am just getting sick of them talking themselves up and insulting the competition when, apart from CoD, they have no significant games to bring to the table.

9. Splych

Member Splych GBAtemp's Lurker

Philippines
    did Activision even release any significant games other than CoD in the past 10 years ?
    they haven't published a good game other than CoD . . .
    if CoD was removed , i am sure that it would just "who's Activision?"

10. Sterling

Member Sterling GBAtemp's Silver Hero

United States
    Don't they own Blizzard and such?

11. M[u]ddy

Member M[u]ddy GBAtemp Fan

Germany
    Fixed that for you.

12. Edgedancer

Member Edgedancer Director of Moon based operations

Australia
    Not really. Its more of a partnership rather than Activision owning Blizzard and all of its properities. I dont really consider them together as I have yet to see any collaboration between the two companies and by looking at Activision by themselves, they are still yet to do anything other than COD, Its funny how this title was held by EA about 5 years ago but they actually saw their image and worked on fixing it. Sure they are not perfect but its really what Activision should aim towards.

13. ShadowSoldier

Member ShadowSoldier GBAtemp Guru

Canada
    Guitar Hero 3 was good.. well I guess that wasn't exactly THEM who made it..

14. XXLANCEXX

Member XXLANCEXX GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Fuck Activision anyway theyre fuckin gay

15. _Chaz_

Member _Chaz_ GBAtemp's Official Mook™

United States
    Activision President: "Alright, what can we do that will make the gamers hate us more?"

Activision Employee 1: "We could... Hey, did anyone realize that EA is taking a while on that Call of Duty Map Pack?"

Activision Employee 2: "No, why would we play Call of Duty? We're not mindless consumers."

Activision President: "Alright, calm down. It's obvious that EA is doing nothing wrong, so let's move o- Wait, I have an idea!"

Activision Employees 1&2: "What is it, Sir?!"

Activision President: "We should call them on it! Make it look like we're trying to look out for the common gamer! That way, people will think of us as hypocrites and hate us more! Our hate-powered money machines will be on MAXIMUM OUTPUT!"

Activision Employee 2: "Wonderful idea, Sir! I'll get the press department on it right away!"

Activision Employee 1: *died of self-inflicted gunshot to head*[/p]

Can't you see that we're playing right into Activision's plan?

16. shadowkillerdrag

Member shadowkillerdrag GBAtemp Regular

United States
    wow activision wow -.- you rip ppl off on map packs already and u still bitch amazing