Acekard RPG, Dealextreme, and MicroSD questions

Discussion in 'Acekard' started by Zieg30CT, Nov 25, 2008.

Nov 25, 2008
  1. Zieg30CT
    OP

Newcomer Zieg30CT Advanced Member

United States
    After doing a whole lot of reading I've decided that the Acekard RPG was a good choice for a flashcart. However, I'd like to know whether or not I should change my mind on buying this. I've seen many conflicting views between this and the Cyclo DS Evolution. Which one is the truly better choice to go with?

As for where I've decided to get the Acekard RPG if my decision remains unchanged:

Acekard RPG

figured I'd throw in the other thing I'm ordering from them

EZFlash 3-in-1

I've never ordered from dealextreme before so I'd like to know as to whether or not they are trustworthy. (yes I realize the cart is back ordered right now)

As for the micro sd sdhc card of my choice, this one looked nice:

Sandisk 4GB micro sd sdhc

but should I choose another as many of the posts on forums about flashcarts have recommended a Japanese made Kingston micro sd sdhc.

2. ShAdOwFuRi

Member ShAdOwFuRi GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    I really don't see why you would choose the Acekard RPG over the Acekard 2, by sacrificing a bit of inbuilt memory, which I don't particularly like anyway, you get a MUCH cheaper cart, which otherwise has the same features.

Also the microsdhc card you linked to seems slightly on the expensive side, I'm pretty sure you could find the same card at a cheaper price if you kept looking =P

Since you're in USA, I suggest you use newegg, which seems to be the preferred site for sd cards. Unfortunately I live in Australia and they do not ship internationally =[

3. Bri

Member Bri GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    In the world of flash carts, more expensive doesn't always mean better.

The Acekard 2 is probably a better choice for most people than the Acekard RPG, which besides being more expensive is older and has some restrictions as far as the types of save files it can write.

If you really want to spend a lot of money on a flash cart, buy a CycloDS. It's a good flash cart and has some extra features like RTS. Not that many people use RTS so it's probably not worth the extra cost for most people, but if you feel that RTS is a must-have feature for you, the CycloDS is probably the best flash cart for you.

But if you're among the majority who don't need RTS, you can't do much better than an Acekard 2. It's got one of the best menus of any flash cart at any price (better than the CycloDS), and happens to be among the least expensive flash carts available. Save your money for something important.

-Bri

4. Zieg30CT
    OP

United States
    so the RPG's extra memory isn't worth getting? I figured it would be a good investment if I ever run into a lagy game.

the micro sd appears expensive as it also comes with a card reader according to the overview.

real time save isn't really all that important to me.

I guess I'll choose Acekard 2.

Acekard 2

the one here looks reasonably priced (almost to the point of me saying damn)

last question to be resolved is whether or not DealExtreme is trustworthy to purchase from.
    Edit nevermind about my last question.

5. Count Duckula

Member Count Duckula .

Australia
    I ordered an AK2 (same item as you linked to) from dealextreme a couple of weeks ago.
    Came within 10 days, is the newer (black PCB) v2.1 version, works great and the menu is fantastic as bri said.

Deffinately a reccomended purchase.

6. ShAdOwFuRi

Australia
    mine still hasn't come in yet, but I sure hope I'm not one of the unlucky ones that get a green pcb...

7. z.g

Member z.g GBAtemp Regular

Latvia
    game compatibility in ak2 far from ideal.

8. Bri

Member Bri GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    Yes, reliable, great prices, but slow shipping.

-Bri

9. DaMummy

Member DaMummy GBAtemp Maniac

United States
  10. Zieg30CT
    OP

United States
    @DaMummy
    Got the 4GB bookmarked as 8GB seems to be a little much for games and music. Ordering soon.

@Bri
    I just upgraded to the one that includes the card reader since I didn't want to shell out $15+ dollars for one. (Waiting on PayPal Account setup)

11. Another World

Former Staff Another World Emulate the Planet!

Colombia
    as of the official 4.08 loader speed issues were solved and games *should* no longer lag including such problem games as PoR.

-another world

12. ShAdOwFuRi

Australia
    The RPG's extra memory is a great thing... it's just the extra cost that acompanies it that really hurts... On DX the RPG costs around $58... or mayb $48USD more than the AK2. Not worth the extra cost in my opinion. The menu's and interfaces are exactly the same, the only difference is the extra memory.

13. dib

Member dib GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    To answer your other question, as an RPG owner, the only thing that really tempts me about the Cyclo is the fact that they offer functions like save states and slow motion.

14. DaMummy

Member DaMummy GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    ya RTS is the one and only thing i wish ak had, unless fast motion would somehow be possible(NOT!)