Acekard 2i AKAIO Game slowdown

Discussion in 'Acekard' started by ObeyTheBear, Jul 22, 2010.

Jul 22, 2010
  1. ObeyTheBear
    OP

Newcomer ObeyTheBear Member

Canada
    Hi i recently bought my Acekard 2i With AKAIO firmware 1.7 and i bought a micro sdhc card separately ( SanDisk 8GB class 2)

and some games slow down like Bleach: Dark Souls, Phoenix Wright Justice for All, and so on. i tried formatting and that didn't help :S if anyone can help please do [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. omgpwn666

Member omgpwn666 Guy gamer and proud!

United States
    Have you disabled DS download and play?

3. Fishaman P

Member Fishaman P Speedrunner

United States
    2 things:

1. "DS Download Play"
    2. That should NEVER have to be disabled for compatibility.

Also, check your HWID is 81. Clones MAY have slowdown.

4. NinjaMic

Newcomer NinjaMic Advanced Member

United States
    Where did you buy this from? Because if it was from the Amazon marketplace (specifically nextweb sales), you got burned

5. ObeyTheBear
    OP

Canada
    I purchased it from VeeBuy and i don't know what HWID is and what do i do with the Ds download play thing. sorry im new and im a noob [​IMG]

6. nikkopt

Newcomer nikkopt Member

Portugal
    Clones running akaio 1.7? [​IMG]

@ObeyTheBear: I also noticed a big slowdown when i changed my sandisk 2gb sd with a kingston 4gb class 4 sdhc (taiwan), but only in very demanding games like geometry wars (with lots of enemies).. not in games like Phoenix Wright. The yellow DMA mode didn't gave me any speed also.. Games also take a little more to boot with this card, probably one second only but it's noticeable.
    It's strange that a game like Phoenix Wright to get slow.. but that's just my opinion.. i have proven to be wrong in other occasions [​IMG]

7. ObeyTheBear
    OP

Canada
    Actually it's only one phoenix wright game justice for all but maybe it could be a bad rom :S thou usually it slows down on 64mb games or higher

8. nikkopt

Newcomer nikkopt Member

Portugal
    How did you format your card?

9. ObeyTheBear
    OP

Canada
    I used the PC format (vista)
    i write the options i used

Capacity : 7.39
    File System : FAT32
    Allocation Unit Size : 32 Kilobytes
    i didn't put quick format. [​IMG]

10. nikkopt

Newcomer nikkopt Member

Portugal
    Always use the Panasonic SD formatter (get it here or here)
    I don't know if it will solve your problem but it will avoid future ones..
    PS: use full format (erase off), size adjustment off

11. ObeyTheBear
    OP

Canada
    ok i'lll try that, i'll mention after how things have went [​IMG] btw this might take awhile :S

12. nikkopt

Newcomer nikkopt Member

Portugal
    Speed problems tend to increase with the capacity of the card. Only top notch cards can keep up with good speeds as they get more capacity.. So a 5€ 2GB SDHC class4 card will be faster than a 10€ 4GB SDHC class4 (same brand and model). Try a smaller capacity card if you have one (search your cellphones or something) [​IMG]

EDIT: i took a look at the website you bought from and they say they ship the cards with kingston memory cards..

and you got a sandisk [​IMG] (not that it's worst, it's just that they don't sell what they announce)

13. ObeyTheBear
    OP

Canada
    hmm... what card would you recommend because i saw a 4gb class 4 sd, but i'm not sure if lexar is good. i could buy but i need a need to know if lexar is worth it [​IMG]

14. nikkopt

Newcomer nikkopt Member

Portugal
    The more they cost, the better.. Not always of course but performance always comes with its price. Lexar isn't bad but better brands exist, the class of the card isn't really THAT important since 2MB/sec (class 2) is somewhat enough for the DS, it's the timings (access time) that are important, and that is not on the box.
    Try a japan made kingston or if you have money go for high end cards like the ultra or extreme from sandisk. You can have lots of games on a 4GB card or even a 2GB so try to see if the 8Gb are really important to you.

EDIT: Clones are always much more slower than the original ones, and they are hard to identify so buy from a known safe store.

15. ObeyTheBear
    OP

Canada
    well there isn't that much brands where i'm at. the ones that are common here are kodak and lexar. if i use any of those 2 will it be good like in game performance, speed, etc?

16. tk_saturn

Member tk_saturn GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    I'm sorry, that's not true. There are many cases where the 8GB cards for example outpreform the 4GB cards, same brand and class.

http://www.sosuke.com/ezflash/viewtopic.php?f=16&p=66426

OP: kodak and lexar don't make their own memory, so you can't quite be sure what you are getting.

You mentioned a Kingston, if it's a Class 4 Japan card labeled C08G (made by Toshiba) then it should be speedy as in the tests in the link above. The Taiwan Kingtons can be upto half the speed of those.

17. nikkopt

Newcomer nikkopt Member

Portugal
    You can be lucky and get a good card from those you mentioned, but they can also suck.. I really don't know which ones are better, lexar has god cards i just don't know if they are the same you are going to buy. It would be great if you could find a 4GB non-sdhc, they are rare but even the cheaper ones are faster than the sdhc ones.
    And even if you only have those brands where you live, you can always buy online you know [​IMG]

18. tk_saturn

United Kingdom
  19. nikkopt

Newcomer nikkopt Member

Portugal
    Always learning [​IMG]

20. tk_saturn

United Kingdom
    It's not the case they are a few exceptions, it's common.

There are tons of speeds tests which show that 4GB cards are often faster than 2GB cards, and 8GB cards are often faster than 4GB cards. Generally, the speeds pretty much the same.

There's a thread with 45 pages of speed tests. http://www.metagames-eu.com/forums/linkers...onne-99704.html

Bottom line: Find tests for the card you intend to buy before you purchase it. Avoid the Sandisk Class 2's. The write speed/ class aren't that important, as you aren't doing much writing. Pay attention to the random access times, as they do matter.