Ace3DS Plus Review

Discussion in 'GBAtemp Reviews & Guides' started by Devin, Jul 23, 2012.

1. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolf-husky™ Panties

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    At the end of another lost highway
    You realize with the original R4 you can install Wood R4 officially on it?
    And if you want fast updates the R4i Gold supports Wood R4 officially, which means it gets all the fast updates with all the official features, like the WIP RTS. Yes it cost a little more, but you are getting a better card for a better price.

We gain nothing for suggesting a better card and are all trying to actually help you. We want to save you the future headache.

2. Chary

Chary Never sleeps.

pip Reporter
    GBAtemp Patron
    Chary is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 2, 2012
    United States
    $6.99? That's CHEAP. Seems like a nice basic cart for 3DS owners.

3. Lilith Valentine

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    And you get what you pay for, which is a card that uses a hacked kernel and has questionable support from a questionable team.
    Paying a little extra, you get a better card that uses Wood R4 officially with an extremely supportive team.

4. Chary

Chary Never sleeps.

pip Reporter
    GBAtemp Patron
    Chary is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 2, 2012
    United States
    Hacked kernal? Huh. That explains a lot. No wonder the cheapness.

5. Rydian

Rydian Resident Furvert™

Feb 4, 2010
    United States
    Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    The fact that it's using an older version of Wood with the version info changed and loaders taken from elsewhere (nobody's sure where yet) was brought up multiple times in the thread.

6. Lilith Valentine

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Only 3 flashcards officially use Wood R4 and this is not one of them. It's using a hacked version of the last open-source Wood R4 with updated loaders. So it's a pretty questionable kernel and support.

7. Devin
    OP

Devin "Local Hardware Wizard"

GBAtemp Patron
    Devin is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Aug 17, 2009
    United States
    The Nexus
    I'm not saying this is a completely terrible cart that should never have been put into existance but it's a pretty decent cart for people who just want to play DS games on their DS'.

I for instance gave this review cart, or one of them to a sibling. Just because the UI is simple, easy to use, and they won't complain to me every time there's a new game with AP that doesn't work on it since they're too busy playing the other games. I myself use a SCDSTwo, and prefer it over this. But once again it isn't the demon spawn of hell flashcart. It's decent enough to suit your needs if you're fine with slower updates, less dedicated emulators (SCDSTwo has it's own configured for it.) and the possibility that the flashcart will be blocked and you'll have to buy another one.

It's worth springing the extra few dollars for one that runs the legitimate version of Wood, that receives fast updates.

8. Rydian

Rydian Resident Furvert™

Feb 4, 2010
    United States
    The ones that run official Wood do all this cart does and more (actual recent Wood added RTS), with official support.

The Catboy likes this.
  9. Devin
    OP

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Aug 17, 2009
    United States
    The Nexus
    Right the only thing it really has going for it is the pricing, and some might say the UI.

10. Rydian

Rydian Resident Furvert™

Feb 4, 2010
    United States
    ... but it's based on an older version of Wood? Which hasn't changed the UI in ages, and is almost the same as the AK2i, since they were built from the same base sources originally.

11. Devin
    OP

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Aug 17, 2009
    United States
    The Nexus
  12. Rydian

Rydian Resident Furvert™

Feb 4, 2010
    United States
    Oh, I'm in the party that removes those whenever possible since it's extra steps and loading times before games. XD

Devin likes this.
  13. tompus

tompus Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 9, 2013
    Swaziland
    Hi,
    I have a problem with the NeoGeo emulator include in Ace3DS; it don't work!
    I have updated my card (firmware and Kernel), but when I start the NeoGeo, I have black screen down and white screen up... No button work...
    Other emulator (Nes, Snes, GB, ...) work fine.
    Can anybody help me, please ? Thank you...

14. hack_app
    This message by hack_app has been removed from public view by TwinRetro, Apr 11, 2013.
    Apr 11, 2013
  15. DarkMaiku

DarkMaiku Newbie

Newcomer
    Feb 27, 2013
    United States
  16. alib8821
    This message by alib8821 has been removed from public view by Costello, Jun 2, 2013.
    Jun 2, 2013
  17. allanj87

allanj87 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 12, 2013
    I managed to pick up one of these for under $10 and currently am using it on a 3dsXL with the latest firmware both new pokemon black 2 and white 2 work ive been playing online! and managed to get Smash bros homebrew working on it!!

with the exception of an offical gba emulator (gbaemu4ds alpha seems to be working fine though plays pokemon ruby) i cant find much diffrence between this and my friends $50 supertwo card

18. Jean Karlo

Jean Karlo Hacker Aspirant!!!

Jun 1, 2013
    United States
    Hyrule

Are you happy with it?? I am looking for a new flashcart for my 3dsxl (newest firmware version) given that I bricked the last one, I am looking toward ace3ds plus, r4i gold, or supercard two, but if you say that there is no difference i see no point in wasting 40 bucks, All i want is to play ds games, and maybe 1 or 2 snes/gbc games, and a way to unbrick my r4i silver, so would you recommend this to me?

19. Rydian

Rydian Resident Furvert™

Feb 4, 2010
    United States
    The DSTwo is the only flash cart that has NEVER needed a hardware revision to run on a new 3DS firmware.

Ever.

All the other ones have needed at least two new models.

20. allanj87

allanj87 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 12, 2013
    Id recomend it to any1 that just wants to simply play ds roms the snes emulators quite cool i dunno about cheat support though i kinda like to hard code my roms with trainers just out of habbit but for the price defo worth picking this up my 5yo can use it so its n00b friendly

Only personal downside ive found on this card though is lack of offical gba emulators but the unoffical ones ive been testing out work well even if they are still a lil glitchy

21. femalemalls8
    This message by femalemalls8 has been removed from public view by p1ngpong, Jun 20, 2013.
    Jun 20, 2013
  22. Eriatarka

Eriatarka Member

Newcomer
    Feb 22, 2013
    United States
    in the page it says it works with the latest firmware, but it doesnt work for shit.

23. Devin
    OP

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Aug 17, 2009
    United States
    The Nexus
    Where does it say that?