Homebrew Accessing a FTP server from a 3DS?

Perska

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Wouldn't it be possible to access a FTP server via a 3DS? Its logical for it to be possible, as some homebrew have access to the internet.

gamerboy1995

Trophies
Website
facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
I know there is one to use your 3ds as an FTP server called FTPony / FTBrony, which allows you to read and write files, but I haven't seen any that do it in the reverse direction yet. What do you need to access a FTP server for?

Perska

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Well for some reason FTBrony does not work if I use a mobile hotspot. I might be on the road without a PC.

marc00077

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands Antilles
If you're on android you can download this app, join the same wifi with phone/3ds, goto network->lan>ftp set your ip, set port to 5000 and it should acces your 3ds.
I'm using ftbrony 1.0 and android 4.4.4 and it works great on wifi and on hotspot for me.

With this you can tranfer files from your phone/tablet to the 3ds even if you don't have wifi.
You can download ftbrony here.

Last edited by marc00077,

Perska

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
I'm not talking about using the 3DS as a FTP server. I'm talking about using the phone as the FTP server and accessing the files from a 3DS. Also it seems that the FTPony (if it really can be used as a FTP client) download is not available anymore.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
FTPony and FTPbrony are both FTP servers, not FTP client.

FTP server on 3DS = you need a PC to connect to the 3DS and browse the 3DS SD Card content.
FTP client on 3DS = You use the 3DS to connect to FTP servers (local PC or internet) and browse files on the distant server.

He asked if a FTP client homebrew exists, but no. Nobody coded that kind of homebrew yet. (even on other consoles, there are only servers, no client)
I don't know how useful it could be. Maybe access PC files using the 3DS from your bed? could be useful to backup savegames to PC directly from the 3DS (like a cloud service, when you are not at home), without going to the PC to access the 3DS.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Remember when RiiShop was a thing?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    not really
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It got shutdown because somebody "accidentally" leaked the database for the amount of people using the beta.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    RiiShop is the laziest way of downloading Wii games. Did somebody not think of this through?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    although i ended up accidentally changing my nand with no way of going back bc i didn't know you needed a gamecube controller to restore it (i have a wii minus/1.1, which doesn't have gamecube controller support)
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BakerMan, I think you're talking about the recovery mode that the SaveMii used, and also was to restore softbricked systems.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    If your NAND was hardbricked, then just buy another Wii. Or go with the dirty NAND flasher method.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    and if i find the sd card i have my NAND backed up on, i can not only restore the NAND if i solder the right part in, but i can also put my NAND on dolphin, then i can play dolphin online, like PMEX Remix or MKWii Riibalanced
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Brb
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BakerMan, Oh yeah, that was a thing too. Dolphin does support Wiimmfi.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    yeah you just need to put your NAND backup with wiimmfi on it
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    ngl i feel like if a bunch of my friends have wiis and know how to get wiimmfi and back up their NAND, then we could do a PMEX Remix tournament
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    maybe even add UMVC3/DBFZ and make it a biathlon/triathlon
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Too bad Excite Truck wasn't multi player :(
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Loved that game lol
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, sorry for the stupid suggestion I had in that thread
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Its fine
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    what thread?