About RCM mode question

Discussion in 'Switch - Exploits, Custom Firmwares & Soft Mods' started by babycomingsh, Jun 14, 2019.

1. babycomingsh
    OP

babycomingsh Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 12, 2019
    China
    if u enable autoRCM。 when u in system ,u remove ur SD card. It
    will display some message to force to power off the switch. Then U clike "power off"
    My question is:at this time,will system reboot to RCM mode? Or completly power off?

2. Hayato213

Hayato213 GBAtemp Guru

Dec 26, 2015
    United States
    It will shut down the switch, but when you press the power button again it will enter RCM mode because of AutoRCM.

NoNAND and KlariNoX like this.
  3. babycomingsh
    OP

Newcomer
    Jun 12, 2019
    China
    ok。 if u in system. dont remove SD card. Only turn off ur switch. Will it reboot to RCM mode?

4. Hayato213

Hayato213 GBAtemp Guru

Dec 26, 2015
    United States
    You need to have the dongle attached to the switch when it is being power on from power off state, if there is no dongle you just get an black screen since it is on autoRCM.

Last edited by Hayato213, Jun 14, 2019
    NoNAND likes this.
  5. Taorn

Taorn GBAtemp Regular

May 27, 2017
    United States
    On Atmosphere the regular shutdown will really shutdown the console. Even if you use auto rcm.

6. Kafluke

Kafluke GBAtemp Guru

May 6, 2006
    United States
    @Hayato213 you're incorrect. If you remove the SD and you get prompted to power off, if you click power off and if you have autoRCM enabled it will turn back on by itself into RCM after a couple of seconds. You won't know because the screen will stay black but if you check in windows it will already be in RCM. I've done this multiple times. I've even taken out the SD while the switch is plugged in my PC and watched as tegrasmash gui lights up green after it auto starts to RCM.

7. babycomingsh
    OP

Newcomer
    Jun 12, 2019
    China
    I know what ur meaning. I meant when u enable autoRCM u turn off ur switch will it automaticly reboot to RCM?

NoNAND likes this.
  8. Retroboy

Retroboy GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

May 28, 2015
    why would you be so stupid to remove your sd card while the console is turned on.

your asking for your sd card to corrupt.

9. Hayato213

Hayato213 GBAtemp Guru

Dec 26, 2015
    United States
    Yea but you would just get a black screen if no dongle is connect or no payload is pushed from a computer/phone etc. You also shouldn't be removing the SD card when the switch is one, should move toward doing usb install.

10. Dust2dust

Dust2dust GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 17, 2010
    Canada
    With USB install options, and nxmtp for file transfer, there is no valid reasons to take out the SD card, ever... unless you want to upgrade to a bigger card, then I guess you have no choice. :P

babycomingsh likes this.
  11. babycomingsh
    OP

Newcomer
    Jun 12, 2019
    China
    U meant remove SD card's shout down will not automaticlly boot to RCM. Only then u press power button again?
    If u only turn off system it will automatically boot to RCM
    Am I correct?

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

4G limit.

12. Dust2dust

Dust2dust GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 17, 2010
    Canada
    What do you want to transfer that is bigger than 4GB? XCI files can be split. Big NSP files are installed through a USB installation method. Besides, your SD card should be formatted FAT32 to avoid corruption issues down the line. So 4GB limit is a non-issue.

13. babycomingsh
    OP

Newcomer
    Jun 12, 2019
    China
    Hypothesis

14. Hayato213

Hayato213 GBAtemp Guru

Dec 26, 2015
    United States
    @Kafluke you are actually wrong, it only power it back on because it was connected to a computer, If I connect my modchip switches to my computer while the switches was completely off and autorcm mode was enabled it would wake it up.

15. Kafluke

Kafluke GBAtemp Guru

May 6, 2006
    United States
    Re-read my post. If you plug in your switch to your computer while it is powered off THEN it will power on. I tested it while it was already plugged into my computer. I also tested before autoRCM because I wanted proof that it was either off or on. The first test I did was on a vanilla switch untouched by RCM or any CFW. I had the switch plugged into the PC and I removed the SD card and tapped the prompt to shut down. It stayed shut down. I then tried the same switch using autoRCM. Followed the same steps, after I shut it down from the SD removal prompt it came back on into RCM about 3 seconds later.

16. Hayato213

Hayato213 GBAtemp Guru

Dec 26, 2015
    United States
    Not if it not connected to a computer, it get powered on if it was on autorcm and if it was connecting to a computer or a power supply as it is receving power before going into rcm mode.

17. Kafluke

Kafluke GBAtemp Guru

May 6, 2006
    United States
    You know that this is known right? It's the whole reason there are countless threads about battery issues with AutoRCM. Because if you shut down the switch normally with autoRCM it powers back on into RCM and drains the battery. It has nothing to do with being on a power source. This occurs whether you are plugged into power or not.

18. Hayato213

Hayato213 GBAtemp Guru

Dec 26, 2015
    United States
    That has nothing to do what OP is asking, since he didnt ask about connecting to a computer, it doesn't wake up when you remove the sd card and the system force you to shut down.

19. Kafluke

Kafluke GBAtemp Guru

May 6, 2006
    United States
    You're not even reading what I'm typing. I used the computer as an example to prove my point. If you pull the SD and you are using autoRCM and even if you're not plugged into anything, if you tap the prompt to shut down it's going to power itself back up into RCM. Again, this is known.

20. Hayato213

Hayato213 GBAtemp Guru

Dec 26, 2015
    United States
    Nope wrong I have three mod chip switches if I shut them off it doesn't turn back on if I don't touch the power button or connect to a computer or a power supply it doesn't turn on, in your example the reason the switch turn on while it is connected to a computer it is because it is receiving power that why it turn itself back on. OP asks nothing about connecting the switch to a computer, dude asks if he removed the sd card and the switch prompt him to shut it off with autorcm mode on would the switch turn back on without connecting to a power source.

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted