about editing save files

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by hacksn5s4, Sep 5, 2015.

1. hacksn5s4
    OP

hacksn5s4 Banned

Banned
    Aug 12, 2015
    so theirs some games i want to edit the save files for but they do not have a save editor im trying to use a hex editor to edit but i idk where the values for the money etc are stored

2. Mr. Elementle

Mr. Elementle Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 30, 2014
    United States
    Detroit
    You would have to be more specific, what game are you trying to edit?

3. TamDanny

TamDanny GBATemp 3DS Fanatic

Aug 20, 2015
    Mexico
    Depending on the game, there could be an editor for it. I think there are editors for Smash 3DS, Pokemon XY/ORAS, Rumble World, Shuffle, & Animal Crossing: NL. Not sure if there are any more editors; but you can always check.

If there is no editor, your only option is through a hex editor. I think that any game can be edited this way, but one bad move, and you can corrupt your save. Be extremely careful and always remember to backup your save files when editing! You can restore the backup if you need to. If you want to search and change a specific thing (like number of lives or collectibles), you can always have two almost-identical saves where the only difference is a change in that specific thing (like having a Mario Bros. save file with 50 Star Coins, and another one with 51 Star Coins). You can search for that value in the editor, and change it if you want it. But, again, be extremely careful.

4. ElyosOfTheAbyss

ElyosOfTheAbyss GBAtemp Addict

Aug 20, 2015
    There is also a NSMB2 editor but only edits lives and the coin count on the main menu atm.