OrR

Rice-megatron Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
WHAT! Nintendo sends back refurbed units? That's absurd. Seriously O_O.
Well, kill yourself then.
wink.gif

It's quite normal that they are not throwing all those DSes away if they only have a minor problem. If you send a used unit in, you get a used unit back. Of course it's bad if that unit you get back has problems...
unsure.gif

tama_mog

Kupo
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It's hillarious how America operates when it comes to the return policy, it just screws the manufacturer in the end....the most extreme being costco. In Japan there is no swapping for even dead pixels. Then again Japanese products are high quality for sure.

If Costco screws the manufacturer, it's the manufacturers fault. They knew what Costco's return policy was when they started doing business with them. Obviously, the added sales make up for the late returns; else they would stop doing business with Costco. It's not like Costco is twisting their arm.

Coming obviously from someone that has had no dealings with Costco and have no experience in manufacturing. But that's beyond the case, point was a general comment about American return policy, it's too laxed on the consumers in my opinion.

Well, I am a Costco member, but I have no experience in manufacturing. I am using my common sense. If I can't make money selling stuff through Costco, then I won't sell my product to them.

Having said that, if I return a VCR to costco 7 years after I buy it, they will give me a new one. Do they return the 7 year old VCR to the manufacturer? I really doubt it, but I could be wrong.

I agree that return policies are WAY too lenient here in the states, but they are what they are and I take advantage of them sometimes. It sickens me to hear of people abusing them though.

Yes they do send it back to the manufacturer, unfortunately. Costco does not care for negligence or mishandling in any way from the consumer. Soon as a manufacturer imposes common sense to them (AKA dropping a TV down the steps does not warrant a valid return), that signifies an end to their business dealings all together. You are right, companies/manufacturers do sell in huge bulk to Costco, but there is a huge tradeoff when it comes to Costco's return policy. This is the reason most of Costco's products are big name products from big companies and smaller companies tend to deal with costco on goods that have extremely low return rate. I agree with you completely on the return policies and that is my point. People bitching about dead pixels (especially when it's something like 1 or 2) should understand that this is common in LCD manufacturing.....all quality control gives faults tolerances and products pass tests as long as the tolerance is not broken. Nintendo shouldn't have any obligations to replace these units but because of the way the consumers are "trained" in the US, they are forced to here so there won't be little kids with pitchforks and fire rioting in front of their offices....come one now, most of the pixels delivered are indeed stuck pixels and they will go away with time when you play the games. 1-2 dead pixels are completely undistinguishable when you're playing games. They do not offer this program in Japan because the consumers there are aware of what happens during LCD manufacturing and this is beyond Nintendo's control. As to cracked hinges, I don't see what the whole fuss is about getting a new unit. You returned a used good with a slight defect in the manufacturing and Nintendo is already kind enough to send you another refurbished one without the problem or fix the hinge itself on your ds. And is there downtime? Yes there is but this is a video game system we're talking about here, not a life support system, people can wait a couple days without a ds. What gets me most is people attempting flashme and bricking their ds because of incompetence and returns them for a new one. That's just a slap in the face to Nintendo for coming up with the product you so love.

mono666

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
awww man..... i don't dare to desire a black dsl back from warrenty but at least don't send me a freaking refurb.... hmm now i have think about returning the dsl... altho it does have a crack and a dead pixel.. but things could get worse right? thanx for the replies guys!!

HugeCock

Oh My....
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I asked and they said they would NOT send me a refurb I will be hella pissed if they do. I know they need to do something with them and the answer is sell em at discount. I have a brand new 2 week DS and I get back some piece of crap some kids been beating around.

roar

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I saw a small crack in mine, took it back to walmart yesterday and a got a new one, it was after my 30 days but walmart was really good to deal with. Also picked up a pink one instead of the white, now my supercard doesn't look as good in it, gotta hope they come out with a pink shell
smile.gif

JoeB

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The worst part about this all, is that I sent the unit in the box with everything the way I got it.

The unit came back in a cardboard box, with refurb on a sticker. And the accessories in a zip lock bag! All paper work, and original packing material/box were thrown out by Nintendo!

When I called them, they appologized, but they don't have "replacement" boxes to offer me! Not only that, when you look at the serial number on the back, you can clearly see it's a sticker on top of an older serial number!

Refurb units are also in a different serial number range! One can clearly tell the difference between a referb and a new unit.

stonefry

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The worst part about this all, is that I sent the unit in the box with everything the way I got it.

The unit came back in a cardboard box, with refurb on a sticker. And the accessories in a zip lock bag! All paper work, and original packing material/box were thrown out by Nintendo!

When I called them, they appologized, but they don't have "replacement" boxes to offer me! Not only that, when you look at the serial number on the back, you can clearly see it's a sticker on top of an older serial number!

Refurb units are also in a different serial number range! One can clearly tell the difference between a referb and a new unit.

Well, if you would have read the instructions that Nintendo sends you, there would not be a problem. It specifically says not to return it in the original system box.

HugeCock

Oh My....
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Man in my old age I totally forgot to try and swap out at Walmart (without reciept)...I have the box, everything. When it comes back maybe I will try anyway and get a black DS lite....actually I guess I can't since I registered my SN.....doh!

friedchicken

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
As to cracked hinges, I don't see what the whole fuss is about getting a new unit. You returned a used good with a slight defect in the manufacturing and Nintendo is already kind enough to send you another refurbished one without the problem or fix the hinge itself on your ds. And is there downtime? Yes there is but this is a video game system we're talking about here, not a life support system, people can wait a couple days without a ds.

Absurd, it is Nintendo's obligation to fix the crack hinges because it is due to their manufacturing fault/design. If I send in my NDSL for the cracked hinge, I expect to get back my own NDSL with the problem fixed not some other refurbished NDSL with a dead pixel or scratches that wasnt made by me. Either give me a new one, or my own with the problem fixed, NOT someone elses NDSL with dead pixels and scratches. But you risk getting dead pixels on the new unit and my unit doesnt dead pixels so I rather get my old one back. Im willing to wait 2 weeks, 3 at the most, for it since shipping and repairing may take awhile.

xnevergiveinx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the refurb i got as a replacement from nintendo appears to be new. i couldn't find a scratch, mark, or even fingerprint on it when i pulled it out of the plastic bag

omegatr0n

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
wait you sent them a flashed ndsl and they didnt see it...I woudl assume they have a way to check firmware...and that they would use it? wierd...I just want a black ndsl that works as it should...perfectly

Deaddy

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Do any of thse replacement DSs that people are receiving back have improved diagonals?

And has anyone ever gotten them to accept shitty diagonals as a valid reason to replace the unit or are they not willing to admit it's their fault? At this point I'm more concerned with getting a better d-pad than fixing the hinge crack.

saxamo

Spaaaaace!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a crack...and a warranty with eb games. I might just want to do it through them...although I do have to buy the NEW warranty. urgh.

5uck3rpunch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I saw a small crack in mine, took it back to walmart yesterday and a got a new one, it was after my 30 days but walmart was really good to deal with. Also picked up a pink one instead of the white, now my supercard doesn't look as good in it, gotta hope they come out with a pink shell
smile.gif

You are VERY lucky. I tried to return my over 30 day old, brand NEW condition looking DS with a cracked hinge & didn't have the same luck as you with Wal-Mart. They scanned the serial number on the DS & matched it with the one on the box & a little receipt printed out that told them it's that old & non-returnable. I was pissed but I understand. It was worth a try. They even went as far as having someone bring a brand NEW black DS to the returns counter while they did all this. I was SOOOO close.

I love Nintendo, but I don't feel it's fair that I take care of my DS with MUCH care & because of a defect in craftsmanship it cracks. Then I'm expected to be OK with a refurbished unit that was abused. I just want what I paid for - mine back.
hate2.gif

pte

Trophies
XP
Country
Don't know how it works there but what about contacting Nintendo of America? It is their job to fix them, right?

5uck3rpunch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't know how it works there but what about contacting Nintendo of America? It is their job to fix them, right?

It is their job but if you read earlier in this thread Nintendo sends back refurished units that are NOT the one you owned & sent in. So you have a chance on having other issues, like pixel problems, when you get one back. The ONLY thing wrong with mine is the cracked hinge. I looks brand new. I might just keep it the way it is rather than gamble with getting a messed up one.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Where's everybody?