A theory about ROM hacking...

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by br3compactor, Oct 27, 2015.

1. br3compactor
    OP

br3compactor GBAtemp Regular

May 1, 2015
    Brazil
    From what I've heard, seen and tested, HANS doesn't load the updates when booting a game. For example, my Y couldn't connect to the GTS by booting through HANS (message said it needed the most recent update, which it had).

In that case, is it REALLY needed to delete updates to run ROMHacks through HANS? In theory, doesn't it bypass them, anyway?

I need the opinion from you guys, and people who can confirm this is correct (or incorrect).

2. doctorgoat

doctorgoat GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 3, 2015
    United States
    HANS does not read updates. It is not necessary to delete the updates.

3. Kaphotics

Kaphotics badc0ded

Sep 10, 2010
    United States
    Updates(Patches) overwrite the romfs content.

Since HANS doesn't load the patches, your effective 'version' is not the online compatible one.

If you were 1337, you would just decrypt the code from the latest patch, replace all the file redirect references and copy over the updated romfs files before rebuilding. ez internet connecting :)

Last edited by Kaphotics, Oct 27, 2015
  4. br3compactor
    OP

br3compactor GBAtemp Regular

May 1, 2015
    Brazil
    That's the exact point... the updates aren't loaded when the game is ran through HANS.

Since you'd only be playing the hacked game when running through HANS, there doesn't seem to be an issue (at least in theory)