A System Menu 1.0 look-alike

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by techboy, Aug 4, 2010.

Aug 4, 2010

A System Menu 1.0 look-alike by techboy at 3:38 AM (7,022 Views / 0 Likes) 38 replies

1. techboy
    OP

Member techboy GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    I originally wasn't going to release this publicly, but because people showed interest when I mentioned this in another topic, and a topic recently sprung up in search of a real 1.0 menu, I figured I might as well post it.

I made a "look-alike" of 1.0. It's based on 2.0U. My goal was to make something that looked like and behaved like 1.0 to fill the hole in my system menu collection. I came pretty close. There are only a few inaccuracies that I can't fix, the most notable being re-arrangeable channels.

Because I can't post an SM wad, I made a script to build the menu using patches and NUS files. You'll need Windows, .NET Framework 2.0, and an internet connection to build the menu. You need a Wii to use it. All Nintendo data is fetched from NUS. No WADs or warez is included in the package.

To build it, extract the package, READ THE README, and run the HackMenu.cmd file. If you get errors on Vista or Win7, try right-clicking HackMenu.cmd and "Run as Administrator". I do not have these OSes, so no guarantees it will work on them.

Compiled menu uses IOS70 v6687 if you said YES to the SNEEK option when building it, or IOS9 v516 if you said NO. Compiled menu is region free, and will not semi-brick.

I'd recommend only using this on SNEEK. It has NOT been tested on a real Wii NAND. If you insist on using it on a real wii NAND, install bootmii as boot2 before messing with it, there's a good chance you'll brick.

Here's the download: Beta 6 Download
    Older versions: Beta 5 (Beta 5 is the first public release)

Here's some (poor quality) pics of it running in SNEEK on my wii (channels seen in the one pic are not included):
    http://img831.imageshack.us/g/p9010120.jpg/

Some pics of a friend's launch wii manual that I based the settings menu hack on:
    http://img715.imageshack.us/g/page3d.jpg/

Any comments/suggestions/bug reports are welcome. Here's hoping someone finds a replica of an outmoded SM useful...

2. person66

Member person66 If it isn't edited, it isn't a true person66 post

Canada
    That's cool. For some reason I can hardly find any info on system menu 1.0, I guess cause it was only out for half a day.

I have bootmii as boot2, so I might try installing it on the real NAND, than just restore with bootmii to get my regular menu back. I also have windows 7, so I'll try to add a reply saying how it all works out.

3. Fudge

Banned Fudge Remember that death is not the end, but only a tra

United States
    Awesome you made this public. I'm gonna go set up SNEEK.

4. techboy
    OP

United States
    I see you found my post [​IMG]

A tip for both of you: If using SNEEK, get 4.2 up and running first. It makes it much easier to get this going. When you start SNEEK for the first time, there may be a LONG black screen after the health screen while the menu sets up the mailbox. Once you get SNEEK working with 4.2, compile this, saying 'y' to the SNEEK question, then install it over top of the 4.2 menu.

EDIT: Removed info that I accidentally duplicated from the first post.

5. DarkCrudus

Member DarkCrudus The Ghost

United States
    interesting.. but what purpose does it serve? just wondering n all.

6. twig123

Member twig123 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Am I missing something?
    Besides that SD Card icon gone... what is the difference?

7. Fudge

United States
    No clock (like pre 3.0) You can't copy save data to/from SD card, doesn't report a version number, you can't rearrange channels, and channels load much faster.

8. xfcrowman

Member xfcrowman GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Thanks for releasing a legal method to have a system menu 1.0 look-alike. Since I have bootmii installed on boot2, I tried this on both my real nand and on SNEEK. In both cases, it worked without any problems.

As techboy said earlier in the first post - don't try this unless you have bootmii installed as boot2 because it's very dangerous. If you want to try this menu just use SNEEK instead.

The only thing I noticed so far is that if you are in the wii message board and you highlight the icon in the righthand corner that returns you to the wii menu, the bubble appears but there is no text. Otherwise, everything else seems to work with this modified menu.

Hopefully someone will figure out how to prevent channels from being moved so that this menu will be as close to accurate as possible. Thanks again techboy!

9. techboy
    OP

United States
    Glad to see it worked for you! Also, thanks for testing on a real wii.

As for that bubble...it's probably a mistake in the BRLYT or DOL. It'll be something to fix for Beta 6...

10. W hat

Member W hat Rhythm Heaven Fan

United States
    I had SM 1.0 for a month or so when I couldn't get Wii to work with my router. If you have any questions, I might be able to answer them.

I definitely remember not being able to move channels. Fun times.

11. techboy
    OP

United States
    Good to hear someone remembers the menu. Thanks for the offer to help. The only thing I can't figure out is if there was a "Wii System Update" button. The launch manual scans I have indicate no such button existed (presumably it was disc update only), but Wiibrew indicates there is such a button in internet settings. Do you remember where that button was if it existed?

To everyone: Beta6 will likely come later today. The missing bubble text bug xfcrowman pointed out has been fixed.

12. Fudge

United States
    There was no button. Once you connect to the Internet, the Wii asks you if you want to perform a Wii System Update. I remember from way back on 11/19/06 [​IMG]

13. techboy
    OP

United States
    Thanks. I was losing my mind trying to figure out how the heck you updated it. When I saw the info on Wiibrew, it made me think there was a button. It's good to know I got it right.

14. techboy
    OP

United States
    Beta 6 released.

Changes:
    * Fixed the bug that xfcrowman pointed out.
    * Minor compiler tweak (removed MD5 correction patch).
    * Documentation typo fixed.

15. Kyno

Newcomer Kyno Advanced Member

France
    What is the interest of a System menu 1.0?

16. xfcrowman

Member xfcrowman GBAtemp Fan

United States
    It's the only system menu not available on NUS, and only a few folks out there have an actual copy. The only reasons for running this on SNEEK is for nostalgia or curiosity. Techboy, myself, and several others would love to get an actual copy of 1.0, but so far we have had no luck.

@techboy - I tested the newest version again on my real NAND and nearly everything seemed to work. One thing I did notice is that if you go to the internet settings you need to re-enter the information about your wireless network. I guess system menu 2.0 stored that information differently than newer versions of the system menu?

Also, when you do a connection test it does not finish, whereas I did not have this problem with the 4.3 menu. I didn't get much time to mess around with the newest version, so hopefully tonight I will try this out some more and report back what I find.

Thanks again for releasing this project!

17. killplaystation

Member killplaystation GBAtemp Fan

United States
    the idea of "emulating" or "pretending" an older system menu that has nothing except for less features and usability is asinine. Anyone that ever showed interest in it is an idiot, as are you for putting any thought or effort into something soo pointlessly useless.
    A successful fail, at best

18. giantpune

Member giantpune GBAtemp Addict

United States
    the point of this is like people that make a replica/tribute shelby gt500. the real thing is very hard to get. but you get the closest thing you can to the real thing. duh its not as good as having the real thing, but these people know that. if they could get the real thing, they probably wouldnt bother making a replica of it.

19. Presto99

Member Presto99 You slammin, bro?

United States
    Well someone's angry. I think it's pretty cool!

20. Krestent

Member Krestent What to post?

United States
    What title version does this show up as (I don't mean something like 4.0U, I mean something along the lines of v417)?